Eero Router

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Eero Router
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2015, 03:17 pm »
As long as the performance is at least equal to my current solution I think this would be a viable offering.
George
Personally I'm hoping for better.  I have one Apple Airport Extreme along with two Airport Express'.  While the area near the Extreme is good the downstairs areas are very spotty.  Outside near the pool is decent but not very good near the spa.  I'd have to add another 3 Express' to get covered.  The issue is that it would still not be what the eero has (Mesh) so I'm expecting big things.  Since I was going to replace all my units the timing is perfect.  The amount of wifi devices is staggering that are on my network so a robust network is needed and this really is the proper way to do
« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 03:10 pm by jtwrace »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2015, 03:28 pm »
I ran this by my son-in-law, the IT-for-a-living guy. Mesh isn't new, but as others have pointed out this takes the need for much in the way of technical knowledge mostly out of the equation.

An example of what you could buy right now to get similar performance;

http://www.surveillance-video.com/accessory-ubi-uaplr3us.html/?gclid=CjwKEAiA0uGmBRDwj7mE1v-LlCYSJADxH16ORNsqh-xLSbv009C_gwO1vN69Y0qSRqYGoseU8Hk5qBoC1bPw_wcB

I imagine my wife setting up a network like the one we have, a router and additional access point. She would be lost, not because she's stupid, just no knowledge or desire to gain said knowledge. Yet, if claims are true, this would probably be a no-brainer for her. And if I'm reading it right, one doesn't need Ethernet cabling to each device like you would with Ubiquiti.

Plug and play has it's advantages and certainly a large audience. Their pre-sales numbers seem to bear that out.

xsb7244

« Reply #22 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:12 am »

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #23 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:15 am »
No wonder he's into mesh networks.....he's a Weaver!  :)

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:05 pm »
No wonder he's into mesh networks.....he's a Weaver!  :)
:lol:

wisnon

« Reply #25 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:10 pm »
Personally I'm hoping for better.  I have one Apple Airport Extreme along with two Airport Express'.  While the area near the Extreme is good the downstairs areas are very spotty.  Outside near the pool is decent but not very good near the spa.  I'd have to add another 3 Express' to get covered.  The issue is that it would still not be what the eero has (Mesh) so I'm expecting big things.  Since I was going to replace all my units the timing is perfect.  The amount of wifi devices is staggering that are on my network so a robust network is needed and this really is the proper way to do it. 

Pre-order ends this Sunday 2/15/15 at 11:59pm PST.

Jason, none of you guys have yet explained why MESH is better than the Asus tenacious grag and hold type of wifi network. And its just $170.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:21 pm »
Jason, none of you guys have yet explained why MESH is better than the Asus tenacious grag and hold type of wifi network. And its just $170.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_networking

and in eero's words.

tvyankee

« Reply #27 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:52 pm »
 As zybar said this may be nice for people who are not into networking but nothing replaces a cable link to an access point and a network that is configured correctly.

wisnon

« Reply #28 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:59 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_networking

and in eero's words.

I will study the matter and get back to you, but on the surface, i dont see how this is so much better than AiRadar:

Enhanced signal range and stability
ASUS AiRadar intelligently strengthens wireless connectivity using beamforming technology, high power amplification, and exclusive ASUS RF fine-tuning. This ensures extended coverage, dynamic data speed increases, and enhanced stability.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:00 pm »
As zybar said this may be nice for people who are not into networking but nothing replaces a cable link to an access point and a network that is configured correctly.
As I've said, that's fine but you obviously do not get the advantage of a Mesh Network.

wisnon

« Reply #30 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:05 pm »
True.  Some of us also like new technology that has been proven in an enterprise setting that is now available at a reasonable cost to a consumer.   :)

We have enterprise Cisco wifi here and it sucked until recently.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:06 pm »
We have enterprise Cisco wifi here and it sucked until recently.
Maybe the new IT guy got it setup properly.   :P

tvyankee

« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:26 pm »
Look. I think of myself as a pretty bright guy. I am sitting at work right now as the Engineer in Charge of TV at Fashion Week at Lincoln Center I think I get it. I am not hating on it I just saying that this system has not been out in the field with regular people not beta tester s and no one really knows how it will do.

I'm sure you are a bright guy as well.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:29 pm »
Look. I think of myself as a pretty bright guy. I am sitting at work right now as the Engineer in Charge of TV at Fashion Week at Lincoln Center I think I get it. I am not hating on it I just saying that this system has not been out in the field with regular people not beta tester s and no one really knows how it will do.

I'm sure you are a bright guy as well.
As I've said it's already in beta testing and has been.  Bottom line, don't buy it as it's obviously not for you.   :D

JoshK

« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:35 pm »
This on the surface looks like an awesome solution for me...almost.    I currently have a cable modem/wifi/router downstairs and my upstairs has low wifi coverage especially in my bedroom.   I hate networking, I finally starting to understand it better but I still don't like configuring the suckers. 

My problem is I want to use wired for a much coverage as possible first.   I have a lot of wired devices (PS3, Oppo, NAS, Vortexbox, Desktop, myGica XBMC android, Sonore SigRendu, Squeezeboxes) and some wireless (laptop, phone, ipad).   I currently don't have enough wired ports and have to physically swap the network cable on the device in use often.    I like the idea of the mesh network for wireless extension but it would seem to me that this product would be even better if you could marry the mesh wireless network with physically wired connecting the eero units and offering more wired ports, sort of a mix/match. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:49 pm »
This on the surface looks like an awesome solution for me...almost.    I currently have a cable modem/wifi/router downstairs and my upstairs has low wifi coverage especially in my bedroom.   I hate networking, I finally starting to understand it better but I still don't like configuring the suckers. 

My problem is I want to use wired for a much coverage as possible first.   I have a lot of wired devices (PS3, Oppo, NAS, Vortexbox, Desktop, myGica XBMC android, Sonore SigRendu, Squeezeboxes) and some wireless (laptop, phone, ipad).   I currently don't have enough wired ports and have to physically swap the network cable on the device in use often.    I like the idea of the mesh network for wireless extension but it would seem to me that this product would be even better if you could marry the mesh wireless network with physically wired connecting the eero units and offering more wired ports, sort of a mix/match.
These should solve the issue of hardware/wireless.  My AURALiC ARIES runs wireless with 2xDSD without issue.  Luckily it's close to my main router.  The problem that i have is that in other areas of my house there are dead spots.  In theory if the whole house is covered you don't need hardwired.  This is exactly what I'm going for.  My last count was 20+ wireless devices.  Crazy.  Throw in the fact of easy setup, it should be a winner. 

« Last Edit: 19 May 2015, 03:11 pm by jtwrace »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2015, 02:57 pm »

Sounds like some of what you need is more Ethernet connections? I've got a couple of these in wired network;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122607

If you have locations hardwired already, add a switch and you could use something like the Ubiquiti linked earlier. One of the apparent advantages of Eero is no need for Ethernet cabling to nodes.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:01 pm »
Some of you might enjoy reading some answers from the Firmware Engineer at Eero.  You can read them here. 

tvyankee

« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:36 pm »
I enjoyed it. They really don't say much about anything spec wise other 2x2 radio, AC Chipset, Dual Core processor which doesn't mean much and when asked said they couldn't say anything.

I guess we will see.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #39 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:40 pm »
Sounds like some of what you need is more Ethernet connections? I've got a couple of these in wired network;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122607

If you have locations hardwired already, add a switch and you could use something like the Ubiquiti linked earlier. One of the apparent advantages of Eero is no need for Ethernet cabling to nodes.

If you want a more robust wired solution you will need a better switch that will allow faster speeds and not default to the lowest speed of the connected devices.

George