Monster AVS 2000 Conditioner/Voltage Regulator

Emil

Monster AVS 2000 Conditioner/Voltage Regulator
« on: 28 Apr 2015, 07:41 pm »

Anyone have comments or personal experience with one of these monsters?

Voltage regulation intrigues me

kenreau

Re: Monster AVS 2000 Conditioner/Voltage Regulator
« Reply #1 on: 4 May 2015, 08:30 pm »
I had one for a brief period over a weekend and did not care for it.  While it may be doing its job technically, as it adjusts and corrects for voltage swings, errors, etc., it does make audible relay "clicking" sounds, which are distracting.  I returned it and kept my Monster HTPS 7000.  It offers balanced power and various filters that apparently work fine for me.

Kenreau

Sonny

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2015, 10:23 pm »
I also had one years ago, did feel that it did anything "wrong" but didn't make my system better either...
I too kept the HTS 7000.

Tuan

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2015, 10:28 pm »
Monster Cable products are generally not very well regarded by the high end community. Usually, voltage regulation is the least of the problems when it comes to AC; noise carried on the power line and generated within your own gear is the real culprit..

Doublej

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2015, 11:07 pm »
FWIW At one point multiple models of Monster Power Conditioners were on Absolute Sound's recommended components. They were supposed also designed by Richard Marsh.

For example...

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MON-PRO2500-LIST

"Robert Harley and The Absolute Sound magazine said it best: In my ten years as a reviewer, I’ve never heard as dramatic an improvement in sound quality for so little money as that rendered by Monster Power’s Home Theatre PowerCenter HTS 2000"

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2015, 11:14 pm »
TAS and Stereophile are both known for favorable reviews of gear made by their advertisers.
Additionally, the state of the art in elimination of AC borne noise has advanced significantly recently.

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 5 May 2015, 12:12 am »
TAS and Stereophile are both known for favorable reviews of gear made by their advertisers.
Additionally, the state of the art in elimination of AC borne noise has advanced significantly recently.

Which is why you should always trust your dealer  :lol:

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2015, 12:19 am »
Which is why you should always trust your dealer  :lol:

I trust neither the Zines nor the dealers. Through reading the posts (over time) here and elsewhere on other forums, I have come to respect the opinions of certain individuals. There are knowledgable audiophiles who share their experience online.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 5 May 2015, 12:22 am »
I trust neither the Zines nor the dealers. Through reading the posts (over time) here and elsewhere on other forums, I have come to respect the opinions of certain individuals. There are knowledgable audiophiles who share their experience online.

BTW, I am a dealer for one product line only, and only because I truly believe it is the best in it's category.

kenreau

« Reply #9 on: 5 May 2015, 03:47 pm »
FWIW At one point multiple models of Monster Power Conditioners were on Absolute Sound's recommended components. They were supposed also designed by Richard Marsh.

For example...

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MON-PRO2500-LIST

"Robert Harley and The Absolute Sound magazine said it best: In my ten years as a reviewer, I’ve never heard as dramatic an improvement in sound quality for so little money as that rendered by Monster Power’s Home Theatre PowerCenter HTS 2000"

The Richard Marsh fingerprints on it is what sold me.  The 7000 does appear to be very well thought out and engineered.  Google some interior images for examples.  I use it only for my Home Theater gear and plasma TV.  I have a separate RSA Haley for the 2 channel music system.

Kenreau

kenreau

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2015, 03:49 pm »

I'm interested in these recent noise filtering developments - what is it you are referring to?

Thx
Kenreau

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2015, 05:18 pm »
I'm interested in these recent noise filtering developments - what is it you are referring to?

IMO, Shunyata is on the forefront of clean AC. The addition of their Triton, Typhon and Sigma products have transformed my already great system.

Read what others have said on this topic here:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumdisplay.php?335-Shunyata-Research-Cable-Forum

Particularly this thread:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?13961-Very-happy-w-the-Shunyata-Typhon-addition-for-the-Triton

Steven Stone

« Reply #12 on: 8 May 2015, 02:45 pm »
I've been using an AVS 7000 for a number of years dedicated to projectors. My voltage runs between 123 and 127 and the AVS 2000 knocks it back down to 120 volts. It's a useful tool IF you have under or over voltage issues. If your voltage is good you don't need it.