Product update????

liddown

Product update????
« on: 16 May 2014, 03:09 pm »
Hi Steve,

I am a happy Offramp5 user! This past fall I was able to upgrade my Power Supply (excellent addition). I also upgraded my W4S DAC2 to a DAC2DSDse, then added their Femto clock upgrade. This is a really nice upgrade for the DAC2, however the SQ is still better with the OR5 and EA USB filter in place.

So with all the talk of DSD and integer mode, I was wondering if you can give us an update on XMOS, or DSD, or OR6... If nothing else what your thinking would be great...

Thanks!

audioengr

Re: Product update????
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2014, 06:59 pm »
I am still working on the XMOS prototype.  With vacation, EMC testing and the Newport show it's been hard to find time. 

The first two protos don't load the firmware, so there may be soldering problems.  It has some really difficult parts to solder with solder paste needed underneath the parts.  Very difficult to do by hand.  I'm planning to take a few boards and parts to my assembler to see if he can manually paste the difficult parts and reflow in the oven and then I will do the balance of the assembly.  I am hoping this will do it.  Each module I build by hand is an all-day affair.

Also looking at doing a wired Ethernet version of the Module.  It will not have galvanic isolation like the XMOS module, but should sound very close otherwise.  Possible to do a Short-Block for the Ethernet cable.  I'm starting evaluation of a sample module soon.

Other things are hush-hush right now.

BTW, I'm really enjoying my beautiful new 805A single-ended tube amps.  Killer sound and great bass.  45W from one tube. :o 

Still don't have my Vapor Audio Nimbus yet, but it is getting close :thumb:

Steve N.

Brucemck

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014, 04:01 am »
What's the 805A amp?

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 04:29 pm »
What's the 805A amp?

It was a prototype Arte Forma monoblock, all point-to-point wired.  This design I think is one of the best 805A designs.  It is direct-coupled, no caps in the signal path.  I had all of the wiring replaced and silver/cotton in the signal paths and a few other mods.  New fancier base too.  I will post pictures on the website once I have my new Vapor Nimbus speakers.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2014, 11:01 pm »
Update:   I was using the wrong firmware for the XMOS chip so I could not get my OR6 proto running.  I have the new XMOS USB module up and running now with the right firmware.  Running on Mac.  So far its does 44.1 just fine, but has trouble with higher sample-rates.  Looking at timing.  It is breaking in and so far sounds a LOT like the OR5 with the SB.

BTW, ultimate 44.1 DAC shootout on Audiogon.  So far Overdrive SE is winning:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&openflup&348&4#348

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2014, 04:49 pm »
Update 2:  new OR6 XMOS interface is running now at all sample-rates.  Turns-out that my 16 foot Polestar cable was a non-starter.  Lots of ticks.  Evidently the power wiring in it is not sufficient.  Therefore, I'm currently using a decent 6-foot printer cable.  Tested on both Win7 PC with Foobar KS and with Mac mini running Snow-leopard and Amarra 4318.  The cable seems to be a real issue with this interface due to both power and signal integrity.

Sound quality is simply fantastic.  This a good result after all of the effort and money I put into this.  :thumb:

There are some tweaks that need to be done to the circuit board first, so getting a production version is probably 3-4 months away.

I am planning to sell the OR6 (with Overdrive type front panel) only with the Dynamo power supply (also with Overdrive type front panel).  No wall-wart.  It will also come with a really good USB cable, maybe 10 feet long.  The base cost will be much higher as a result, estimate is $2-2.5k.  I will probably still offer the Turboclock as an option.  The reason to tie the Dynamo to the OR6 is based on SQ, but also due to the fact that with the wall-wart it does not pass FCC emissions testing with all computers and USB cables.  With the earth-grounded Dynamo, the products pass FCC.

Steve N.

dpatters

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2014, 05:59 pm »
Update:   I was using the wrong firmware for the XMOS chip so I could not get my OR6 proto running.  I have the new XMOS USB module up and running now with the right firmware.  Running on Mac.  So far its does 44.1 just fine, but has trouble with higher sample-rates.  Looking at timing.  It is breaking in and so far sounds a LOT like the OR5 with the SB.

BTW, ultimate 44.1 DAC shootout on Audiogon.  So far Overdrive SE is winning:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ddgtl&1398132150&openflup&348&4#348

Steve N.
That is one of the best threads on Audiogon. For anyone interested in high end DACs I think the thread is a must read.  The OP of the thread is very level headed and is using a sound approach in my opinion.

Don P.

Recorder

Driver for OR6?
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2014, 11:54 pm »
What driver will you use for the OR6?  Will one need to install a special driver for Mac OS X?

audioengr

Re: Driver for OR6?
« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2014, 01:42 am »
What driver will you use for the OR6?  Will one need to install a special driver for Mac OS X?

Like all XMOS interfaces, no driver needed for Mac or Linux, only for PC.

Steve N.

Recorder

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2014, 03:30 am »
Thanks, Steve.  That's great news.  I am looking forward to the OR6 becoming available. 

Without a special driver, will Mac OS X and Linux be able to go all the way up to 24/192 (or higher)? 

Also, will it support integer mode, say, for Pure Music or Audirvana Plus?

Bill

audioengr

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2014, 06:22 pm »
Thanks, Steve.  That's great news.  I am looking forward to the OR6 becoming available. 

Without a special driver, will Mac OS X and Linux be able to go all the way up to 24/192 (or higher)?

24/192 for PCM

Also, will it support integer mode, say, for Pure Music or Audirvana Plus?

I believe so.

Steve N.

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 8 Aug 2014, 05:18 pm »
Update:
I have completed the first build of the new "Power Block", which uses a Hynes-based supply like the Dynamo.  It powers the 5V in the USB cable as well as USB common-mode noise filtering.  It is a device the same size a the Dynamo and OR5/6 with USB input and output. It is AC powered and can be 120VAC or 240VAC.  This can be used with ANY USB interface that requires the 5V in the USB cable, and it is particularly useful for XMOS interfaces that provide galvanic isolation, like the Berkeley interface and the OR6 USB interface.

The Off-Ramp 6 USB interface is coming along nicely, with 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 working flawlessly and sounding amazing.  The problem I am having is with 176.4 and 192 sample-rates right now.  I will be trying different clock arrangements for the XMOS chip this weekend to see if that fixes it.  It appears that internals of the XMOS cannot keep up with 192.  I get crackling, which indicates data errors, on crescendos at 192 when outputting I2S and no sound with S/PDIF at 192.  Hopefully it is not the compilation of the firmware into the smaller XMOS chip I am using.  If so, then I need the third-party designer to fix it.

These are the usual kinds of growing pains for a new design.  Very exciting sound quality from this one.  It is looking like the OR6 will come with a Dynamo and maybe even a Power Block.  The USB cable is critical as well, even more than my current USB interface, so I may provide a good 10-footer with the OR6.

If I have time this weekend, I will also use my USB error tool to measure some error rates with different USB cables.  I may end-up building one in order to get the best result.

Steve N.

DaveBSC

« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2014, 02:35 am »
Steve, any idea what the Power Block will cost on its own?

audioengr

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2014, 06:54 pm »
Steve, any idea what the Power Block will cost on its own?

I am thinking $799.00

Steve N.

jjh1585

« Reply #14 on: 11 Dec 2014, 08:20 pm »
Update:

The Off-Ramp 6 USB interface is coming along nicely, with 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 working flawlessly and sounding amazing.  The problem I am having is with 176.4 and 192 sample-rates right now.  I will be trying different clock arrangements for the XMOS chip this weekend to see if that fixes it.  It appears that internals of the XMOS cannot keep up with 192.  I get crackling, which indicates data errors, on crescendos at 192 when outputting I2S and no sound with S/PDIF at 192.  Hopefully it is not the compilation of the firmware into the smaller XMOS chip I am using.  If so, then I need the third-party designer to fix it.

These are the usual kinds of growing pains for a new design.  Very exciting sound quality from this one.  It is looking like the OR6 will come with a Dynamo and maybe even a Power Block.  The USB cable is critical as well, even more than my current USB interface, so I may provide a good 10-footer with the OR6.

If I have time this weekend, I will also use my USB error tool to measure some error rates with different USB cables.  I may end-up building one in order to get the best result.

Steve N.

Hi Steve,
Do you have any new info on the OR6? I am looking forward to owning one. Thanks.

Recorder

« Reply #15 on: 19 Jan 2015, 05:51 am »
Hi Steve,

I am also interested in an update on the OR6.  The last one was in August.  Is it getting close?

Bill