Overdrive DAC with XXHighEnd Player

Briefremarks

Overdrive DAC with XXHighEnd Player
« on: 4 Mar 2014, 05:32 am »
I've been experimenting with the XXHighEnd player after having used Foobar and JPlay for a while with a i7 based laptop (Sony Vaio Z Series).  I know the laptop is not ideal so this is just a comparison between the following setups:  (a) CDs played on an Oppo BD-93; (b) CDs on an older Sony transport modified by EA; (c) 16/44.1 WAV files with Foobar and JPlay; (d) 16/44.1 WAV files with XXHE, also using the arc predict upsampling to 88.2.  I'm using the older Overdrive DAC with the 24/96 USB.

The rest of the system is simple: from DAC to active cross-over/EQ, to power amps (ATI, Emotiva, Parasound--tried all of them), to Linkwitz Orion speakers.  The Linkwitz ASP is not the latest upgrade with the various "shelf" changes.

The Overdrive with the XXHE player sounds absolutely amazing!  The difference between computer audio with XXHE and CDs is much, much larger than I had anticipated.  What I hear is a much more 3D presentation, by which I mean a deeper sound-stage, more realistic voices and instruments, clear separation of harmonies, especially with dense arrangements (Coltrane's Ascension for example), and lyrics that had been illegible before.  In order of preference: computer source with Foobar and JPlay were better than CDs, and the EA modified Sony transport considerably better than the Oppo.

I'm not sure what everyone's setup is, but I am really excited to discover how good the Overdrive (even the original Signature model) can sound with the proper front-end and speakers.  One thing I did notice much to my own surprise.  Using an Audience ar12 power conditioner improved dynamics, separation and what I sense as "full-bodied" sound a lot more than I would have expected.  I'm using this power conditioner now as part of standard setup.

Has anyone else tried the Overdrive with XXHE?