Audio Rack of WONDER!!! Rack discussion please???

EdRo

Audio Rack of WONDER!!! Rack discussion please???
« on: 20 Sep 2016, 09:27 pm »
Alright guys. Some of you may have seen my first attempt at designing and building an audio rack. I've seen a few different types offered on AC, and I thought I could build something better than what we've had a a few different shows, so I worked out a design of my own. Ease of setup and shelf adjustability were high on my list of design features. I did some drawings, made a wooden mock-up, then I showed my wooden mock-up to a metal worker. He was so impressed that he begged me to allow him to make the first one! Seriously!!! (Plus, he's a great neighbor.) So, I bought some aluminum, and we went to work. After reading hours of rack entries and opinions, it seemed most folks liked how gear sounded on maple shelves, compared to glass or even granite. I settled on bamboo ply. It's hard like maple, it's sustainable, and it looks great. Then I had the aluminum sandblasted and powdercoated.
     The first show that we used it at it took me literally 7 minutes to set up. It took me longer to get the bubble wrap off the pieces!!! I think the other vendors were amazed with the thing. The shelves "float" on two stainless pegs, and those shelves rest on Herbies acoustic pads. To move a shelf, you take off the bamboo shelf and pick up on the arms. The cantilever unlocks from the back spine, allowing you to position the arms anywhere you want them to be. Set the arms in place, then set the shelf back on the pegs. Easy-beezy!!! The last pic is some serious gear loaded on my rack. Because of the shelf stagger, heat rises up and away from your gear. Also, your gear is completely open on 3 sides. Its also very easy to plug everything up! I think the Lamizator guys liked it.
     I wanted to open a discussion on racks, and what features are more valued than others. I like this design, but I haven't been bowled over for orders, so I need to change some things. What would people like to see on a product???

I just took it all apart to clean it and get it ready for storage. If anyone is interested in this rack, feel free to make me an offer. But be forwarned, all this aircraft grade aluminum didn't come cheap! And the bamboo ply costs over 300 bucks a sheet!!!

jupiterboy

Re: Audio Rack of WONDER!!! Rack discussion please???
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:06 pm »
It's very nice. I can see, with the ability to adjust, you could slip a tube amp into the bottom slot and keep good ventilation.

How does the isolation work? What's in the base?

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm »
The features I value on an audio rack are:

1. aesthetics (furniture quality without looking industrial)
2. takes up minimal floor space
3. price (it's just a rack, so it shouldn't cost more than my amp, for example)
4. easily adjustable shelves
5. heavy duty with thick shelves
6. built-in isolation

rpf

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:36 pm »
It's a very elegant, apparently very well designed, rack in a minimalist style. Would go well in a dedicated music room but probably have low SAP in a living room due to being completely open.

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2016, 11:51 pm »
Could the rack be made more vertical without affecting stability?  There is plenty of ventilation even if the stagger is reduced.  I am thinking about being able to reach the top shelf from the front.  The way it is designed my arms would be too short to reach from the front.

I think you could get by with fewer notches for adjustment.  Possibly sell the rack without shelves so someone could substitute maple or other woods or isolation platforms like from Symposium.  Face it, there is always someone who thinks they have a better idea for shelving.  :lol:

Kudos on minimizing the amount of clearance wasted on shelf supports.  Some racks are poor in that respect.  Also kudos on the ease of setup and adjusting shelves and the clean appearance. 

EdRo

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:24 am »
A friend and huge vinyl conoseuir loved this rack, but when I mentioned the top shelf was intended for a turntable, he politely pointed out that his shins would bump the bottom shelf if he tried to get at his turntable. He then suggested a double rack setup. Two sets of "spines" back to back, shorter and with less angle. The top would tie the two together, and allow complete unfettered access to turntables. A very interesting solution. 

EdRo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:32 am »
I was also thinking about adding the inversion layer that I use inside my speakers to the underside of the racks shelves, and inside matching amp stands. The aluminum arms that hold up the shelves are 1.5" deep.  1.25" of inversion layer under each shelf would inhibit vibration in the shelf. Again, I need access to measuring devices to verify effectiveness of treatment.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2016, 01:41 am »
A friend and huge vinyl conoseuir loved this rack, but when I mentioned the top shelf was intended for a turntable, he politely pointed out that his shins would bump the bottom shelf if he tried to get at his turntable. He then suggested a double rack setup. Two sets of "spines" back to back, shorter and with less angle. The top would tie the two together, and allow complete unfettered access to turntables. A very interesting solution.

That's a great idea.

I, too, love the rack you have, but it would just come too far out into my room. Something more vertical really is necessary.

Thanks for asking; I can't wait to see what you come up with!

dB Cooper

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2016, 02:21 am »
I always appreciate a nice rack

Folsom

« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2016, 02:40 am »
I've seen it in person. I like having the bottom a ways out because getting to a power conditioner is a pain. It also looks nice. What I don't understand is the description of setting up a turntable, because that's the one fault I really have with the design. I have long arms so I may not notice.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #10 on: 21 Sep 2016, 03:40 am »
Now add some sliders so those top racks can extend out to facilitate fiddling with wires  :thumb:

I always appreciate a nice rack

Especially those with a nice solid bottom...

EdRo

« Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2016, 08:52 pm »
Going over the parts after tearing down this first rack prototype, I've decided to make modifications to this design. Many of you have asked for less angle, more upright stance. I need to build a wooden mockup to make sure that a lessened angle won't result in anything negative, like slipping shelf arms or pinched fingers. A few of you have responded to the original design with ideas, and I'll try to make the next rack with your suggestions in mind.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2016, 02:49 pm »
Beautiful Rack!

It would be nice to have a back panel down the center with cut outs ( or 2 panels, each off center) to hide the cables and IC's.

Maybe offer it with shelves made from cheaper wood, like Baltic Birch plywood for example as an option.

How much weight can the shelf's withstand?  My amp weighs in at 105 pounds.

EdRo

« Reply #13 on: 29 Sep 2016, 05:16 pm »
I've literally walked up the shelves, and I weigh 240lbs. It's a tad over-built. The arms are made from 6160 aircraft grade aluminum, and they are 1"x1.5" solid stock.