oh boy.....new Dynaco kits now available!

JCS

Re: oh boy.....new Dynaco kits now available!
« Reply #20 on: 23 Jul 2016, 04:27 pm »
I built a Dynakitparts.com ST-35 a few years back--with upgraded RCA jacks, speaker terminals, and the fixed bias mod (highly recommended! allows individual bias adjustment for each output tube.)  Whether or not you like the bass depends on the specific speaker you use.  I have the ST-35 in my jazz system with Fostex F120A drivers in Metronomes that I built. (Metronome= mass loaded quadratic taper transmission lines)  When I tried the ST-35 with the transmission lines I designed for Fostex FF225wk, the bass wasn't nearly as good as it is with the Pass Amp Camp Amps (class A mono blocks).  I think it's way more complicated than the output impedance/damping factor issue...

Note that the ST-35 was designed for 7189 tubes.  The JJ EL84 I first installed were crap; two of the bottles cracked on insertion, then one of the tubes failed catastrophically, damaging the amp.  Most EL84 tubes don't seem to be up to the task of replacing 7189 tubes.  Now I use NOS Russian military 6P14P-EB (or is it EV? can't remember) which I purchased from Jim McShane (my favorite source now).  The 6P14P are now scarce, but McShane says the current production EL84M which he sells are good. 

Cheers, Jim

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #21 on: 23 Jul 2016, 06:05 pm »
This reminds me, I have a boxed CARY SLA70 in a storage closet that I haven't listened to in years. I think I'll take it out for a spin.

And if memory serves, wasn't the SLA70 based on the Dynaco ST70? Does anyone know?

drphoto

« Reply #22 on: 23 Jul 2016, 09:24 pm »
James R. thanks for heads up on Transcendent. Hate to make expensive mistake. I had a Conrad-Johnson MV-45 at one point and it seemed very similar to a Dyna ST-70 except a lot nicer cosmetically. Paired with a s little CJ pre and Thiel 0.5 (back when Thiel still used decent soft dome tweeters) it was just a lovely little rig.

Oh, BTW, I love Pass Labs stuff.

When I switched from the little system described above to Maggies I got the big Adcom GFA-555s, a Pass design. Had a pair & ran em mono. Pretty good for a fairly cheap amp

drphoto

« Reply #23 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:06 pm »
Man, a guy on a-gon has a CJ premier 11 for sale. I hope it sticks around a bit until I have a little disposable cash. One of most musical amps ever IMHO.

Yeah, I know thread was about Dyna, but I guess I can derail my own....right?    :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #24 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:50 pm »
Where are the links to the websites that sell "new Dynaco kits"?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jul 2016, 10:54 pm »
Where are the links to the websites that sell "new Dynaco kits"?

As noted above, here's one: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm#ST70  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #26 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:11 pm »
Yeah, those look good. Doubt if that CJ will stick around. I think I may go with the Lapino version of the Dyna if I pull trigger on this. Seems like people really like his stuff.

But the one I stumbled across that started this thread is dynakitsparts.com

drphoto

« Reply #27 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:17 pm »
Hey Wayner, have you heard the AVA Ultravalve 70? Isn't it a Dyna clone?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

drphoto

« Reply #29 on: 23 Jul 2016, 11:48 pm »
yeah, I already saw that, but thanks. Is a good looking amp. Doesn't have those goofy preamp ports in front like the real Dyna clones.

OzarkTom

« Reply #30 on: 24 Jul 2016, 12:42 am »
Man, a guy on a-gon has a CJ premier 11 for sale. I hope it sticks around a bit until I have a little disposable cash. One of most musical amps ever IMHO.

Yeah, I know thread was about Dyna, but I guess I can derail my own....right?    :lol:

cJ Premier II for 1750.

I use searchtempest a lot to find good deals on audio gear.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/5640728081.html

drphoto

« Reply #31 on: 24 Jul 2016, 12:57 am »
thanks ozark. Yeah, the thread started on Dyna. But I loved that little CJ combo. I used to lust over a Premier series. Be cool to snag one.

In the old days when tubes ruled I always thought the big players were CJ & Audio Research. I always felt like the AR stuff was a little too clinical sounding and the CJ more musical. But of course that just one opinion, like a million others on the net.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 24 Jul 2016, 01:20 am »
Here is my thoughts on CJ and classic Dynaco. In the early 80's, I was an Acoustat and CJ dealer. I loved  CJ's preamps and sold quite a few. CJ amps then, MV 45a and MV 75A were very mediocre. Stock dyna st-70 was just as good, but a FVA 70 easily beat out the CJ's. This was while driving Acoustat speakers. But when you used the dd servo amps by Acoustat, that made all other combos sound like a joke.

I did get the same results on the amps when I hooked up Spendor, KEF, and B&W speakers.

bregez

« Reply #33 on: 24 Jul 2016, 01:53 am »
Isn't it a Dyna clone?
The only Dyna clone I know that is still being sold is the one at dynakitparts with the original 7199 tube input board.
I guess one can argue that the AVA Ultravalve, tubes4hifi VTA70 and the Triode Electronics with the SDS 6AU6 board are Dyna clones but in reality all these have different driver boards and power supplies.  Really the only thing these amps have in common are general chassis layout and output iron.

Wayner

« Reply #34 on: 24 Jul 2016, 04:06 pm »
Hey Wayner, have you heard the AVA Ultravalve 70? Isn't it a Dyna clone?

I have 2 Ultravalves, 1 which is the original proto-type. The one in my studio is paired with a pair of Focal 706V speakers. Frank's amps have evolved so far from the original ST70, that the only thing that makes people think of the ST70 when viewing the Ultravavle is from its styling.

Wayner

« Reply #35 on: 24 Jul 2016, 04:10 pm »
Our friend, Kevin has a company that is called Dynakit. He also has sev
eral amps in his catalog. He also makes the sheet metal for the Ultravalve.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/?gclid=CKj12KK-jM4CFQguaQod3jIGug

Wayner

drphoto

« Reply #36 on: 24 Jul 2016, 10:42 pm »
Ozark. yeah, I'm sure there are much better tube power amps out there, but I quite liked my little MV45. That system certainly had it's limits, it couldn't play loudly, but it had a nice natural sound and a good soundstage. (although within the width of speakers.....not beyond like the best)  I also liked the looks of the amp. Very classic. However I did get to briefly hear a Premier 11 once and thought it was pretty special. Speaks may have been big ProAcs, but I'm not sure after all these years. (btw: I love the ProAc 2.5. one of my all time favorites, but just ridiculously overpriced)

A buddy of mine had a big ass audio research unit. again, I thought it was just a little too clinical sounding and I didn't care for the industrial look with the rack mount ears and the grab handles in front.

But then again, that stuff is now what? 30+ years old?

At this point, if I jump back into the audio pond, I may go with the Ultravalve or one of the Latino kits. I've got a buddy, who's the only local guy I know into hifi that is egging me on to build a kit amp. It could be good fun. I'm pretty good with a soldering iron.

Wayne1

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:19 pm »
Another option to consider, based on the ST-70, is offered by Kevin Carter of K&K Audio

He has various levels of mods ranging from just a replacement for the input tube board to a completely new amp with Lundahl output transformers running KT-120 output tubes.

http://www.kandkaudio.com/power-amplifier/

Scroll down the page to get to the Stereo 70 offerings.

drphoto

« Reply #38 on: 24 Jul 2016, 11:39 pm »
damnit wayne, now you just have to go and confuse me even more! No seriously I appreciate it!  :thumb: