Tube rolling in ModWright PS 36.5 - any thoughts?

Philistine

Re: Tube rolling in ModWright PS 36.5 - any thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Nov 2008, 03:35 am »
You guys might like to try the GZ32 in the TP if you have one laying around - didn't excel in the TP before the mod upgrade, but sounds completely different following the turbo mod. 

BudhaNl

« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2008, 08:46 pm »
New to the forum, but on my 2nd Modwright product: after purchasing the 9.0 directly from Dan a couple of years back, he made me an excellent deal on upgrading to the 36.5, which now resides in my system which consists of the following:

Arcam FMJ CD23 - Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II IC, Harmonic Tech PC

Modwright LS36.5 - Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II IC, VenHaus Audio PC

Audiosector Patek SE - Acoustic Zen Hologram Biwire SC, local PC

Mark&Daniel Maximus Sapphire

Based on the information in this forum, I've decided to upgrade the tubes in the Modwright. The Dual Mono powersupply is 'a bit' out of reach, and not the priority at the moment (cleaning up power is, and/or a more potent amp), so I bought some tubes:

- The 'recommended by all' Reflektor 6H30P-DR tubes, NOS, still in the original Reflektor boxes.
- Mullard GZ34, branded Philips Miniwatt, NOS, with the code 'f32 B5J1' on them, 4 serrated plates and double getter.

I wasn't sure whether to pick the Mullard or the Tungsol that's also well regarded here.

Can someone please reassure this tube-rolling newbee :D that he made the right choices  :oops: and that there's no reason to  :duh:?

Thanks!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2008, 10:22 pm »
You did good!   :thumb:

Welcome to the AC and the Club!!!  :D

But, to make sure you actually did good...let us know how it all sounds.  Give the tubes 100 hrs or so.

Ted

BudhaNl

« Reply #23 on: 26 Nov 2008, 06:29 am »
You did good!   :thumb:

Welcome to the AC and the Club!!!  :D

But, to make sure you actually did good...let us know how it all sounds.  Give the tubes 100 hrs or so.

Ted

Thanks, I breezed through the threads on it yesterday as suddenly the urge came up  :wink:.

I have been a longtime lurker here from the first 9.0 days, never got round to joining.

I will! Both sellers are located over here in the Netherlands, so I should receive them pretty quickly  :drool:

Timo

« Reply #24 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:31 pm »
Dan spent a lot of his personal time tweeking my two box LS-36.5/PS-36.5 rig.  My preference is Tung-Sol 5U4GB rectifer, RCA 6EA7, and Tung-Sol 5687.  Makes the best music in my system!   aa

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #25 on: 9 Dec 2008, 11:43 pm »
Dan spent a lot of his personal time tweeking my two box LS-36.5/PS-36.5 rig.  My preference is Tung-Sol 5U4GB rectifer, RCA 6EA7, and Tung-Sol 5687.  Makes the best music in my system!   aa

Timo,
Interesting.  Are these your 36.5 choices (i.e pair of 5U4GB's) ?  Explain where you use these tubes?  5687's and 6EA7's where, etc?  I tried tube rolling the signal tubes in the 36.5 (i.e non-6H30's and got nothing but noise, but my left channel metal base recitfiier at the time was acting up so maybe I was hearing it).

Timo

« Reply #26 on: 11 Dec 2008, 01:19 am »
Hey teddy b:

I lied (actually forgot) re:  Tung Sol 5687s.  None used in LS/PS 36.5 combo.  However, Tung Sol 5U4GB is beefier rectifier for the PS than the 5AR4--more solid and musical bass.  The RCA 6EA7 best for voltage regulation.  No substitutes for the Sovtek 6H30 super tube IMHO for the LS 36.5.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 11 Dec 2008, 01:51 am »
Timo,
No problem.  Makes sense now.  I agree about the TS 5U4G(B) rectifiers; I'm trying a pair of G's right now (thinking maybe the GB's add a little boominess, but not sure).  What 5AR4's did the 5U4GB's beat out?   When you say the RCA 6EA7's (those are stock in mine) are best for voltage reg did you tube roll there?  I can remember Dan counseling me against it, saying there's really not much choice....but I could be wrong.  Thx
Ted

rydenfan

« Reply #28 on: 11 Dec 2008, 01:59 am »
Hey teddy b:

I lied (actually forgot) re:  Tung Sol 5687s.  None used in LS/PS 36.5 combo.  However, Tung Sol 5U4GB is beefier rectifier for the PS than the 5AR4--more solid and musical bass.  The RCA 6EA7 best for voltage regulation.  No substitutes for the Sovtek 6H30 super tube IMHO for the LS 36.5.

There is a MAJOR substitute for the Sovtek 6H30's, the 6H30 DR's.

Timo

« Reply #29 on: 11 Dec 2008, 02:34 am »
ted_b:  No did not roll on the RCA 6EA7.  Dan said the same to me "no need to roll."

Rydenfan:  Tell me about the DRs.  Not familiar with them.  What brands are good?  How much is a fair price for them?

Regards,

Timo

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 11 Dec 2008, 02:56 am »
The 6H30DR is called the super tube, so I assumed you meant the DR's.  Good catch DK (rydenfan).  The DR's are Reflektors (Russian, like their 6H30 cousins) but nothing sonically like them.  They are 6H30's on steroids.  We all found them at Parts Connexion several months ago.  They have them back in stock at $165 a matched pair.
http://www.partsconnexion.com/catalog/NOSTubes.html  and they are discounting `15-25% (I assume the $165 is pre-discount...don't quote me).  Pick the second tab on the bottom, NOT the cro tab.  the DR's are the first item listed on that tab.

rydenfan

« Reply #31 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:01 am »
Timo, Ted has already given you great info. I will add that this tube is an absolute must in the 36.5. It will give you a dramatic increase in bass weight and extension as well as an increase is imaging and soundstage.

The first place I found them was from Alfred at mullardtubes.com but I paid around $250 for the pair. This was before we really knew anything about it. Since then we pretty much all bought out the parts connexion supply. I bought a back up pair as well since they are a pretty scarce tube.

Timo

« Reply #32 on: 11 Dec 2008, 03:09 am »
Thanks guys for the great info.!  I will check out the Website.

funkmonkey

« Reply #33 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:04 am »
Hey Ted, how does the discount work?  Is it for being an AC member or something?  I  got my DR's through these guys: http://www.tube-shop.com/usa/home.asp# but they no longer have them in stock (as of about a week ago).  I'm thinkin' that David is probably being very shrewd by keeping a back-up pair, and I may do the same.  OTOH I have heard that the DR's have a very long life...

Also, I am currently on the hunt for a Tung-Sol 5U4GB to try both in the 36.5 and Transporter, and have found a few possibilities.  Is there any specific date, or "date code" I should look for?  Any distinguishing design elements that are desirable (i.e. "top getter", black plates...).  It seems that the TS-5U4GB is only referred to as such, unlike the TS-5U4G/VT244 which has several versions.

(I've been looking for a tube rolling thread for the one box 36.5, but as far as I have found, there isn't one yet and seems to be sharing this one, and the one for the MW-Transporter.  If there is a LS 36.5 rolling thread would someone mind pointing the way)

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #34 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:48 am »
Funkmonkey,
The discount is throughout the Parts Connexion website/store, as per their emails. I'd just ask when calling/ordering.

All my TS 5U4GB's are basically the same.  They're all late 50's varieties.  I've had good luck with emailing these guys at MDB Ventures (estate sales) and getting good used ones that are pretty closely matched for like $15 each.  Rectifiers don't need to be a matched pair, just same style and similar outputs/measurements.
http://www.fourwater.com/audio/audio_au7.htm#5U4-GB

funkmonkey

« Reply #35 on: 11 Dec 2008, 05:22 am »
Thanks Ted, I just pulled the trigger on one from ebay...  BuyItNow for $19.99 (+$6 for shipping) (-20% cashback from paypal, via an email I got from them this morning) so about $20 delivered. "1-(NOS) 1964 Tung Sol 5AS4/5U4GB Audio and Amp tube made in the USA with the code of 3226440-3 on it. This tube tested excellent as NOS on both sides. It has the black plates and dual round halo side getters."

Sounds like I may have paid a couple of bucks too much.  :?

Man, I gotta stay away from ebay and AC...  I bought a HW CV378/GZ37 today as well! That 20% cash back thing is dangerous!  :roll:

Oh well  :D

The last tubes on my list to try out are Raytheon Blackplate 6CG7's. 

Cheers, and thanks,
Greg

rydenfan

« Reply #36 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:23 pm »
Since this thread is specifically about tube rolling in the PS for the 36.5 I thought I would post my question here. I am anxiously awaiting the PS addition to my one box and I am quite torn on rectifiers. Specifically, the sonic differences between Amperex 5AR4's and Mullard 5AR4's? If anyone has any experience or thoughts with these tubes that would be great!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:34 pm »
According to Brent Jesse, (and I'm going to give my feedback directly once I own both pairs) the Amperex house sound is more balanced and airy, the Mullard sound more bass and warm...these are major over-generalizations.  We chatted about this yesterday and with these comments I'd love to hear opinions.  I'll ping Teajay (my A-gon buddy) cuz he's heard both and prefers Amperex.  I know many who swear by Mullard (Steve Hoffman, etc.).

rydenfan

« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2008, 04:38 pm »
According to Brent Jesse, (and I'm going to give my feedback directly once I own both pairs) the Amperex house sound is more balanced and airy, the Mullard sound more bass and warm...these are major over-generalizations.  We chatted about this yesterday and with these comments I'd love to hear opinions.  I'll ping Teajay (my A-gon buddy) cuz he's heard both and prefers Amperex.  I know many who swear by Mullard (Steve Hoffman, etc.).

He also used the word thick when describing the Mullard to me, but said between the two it will completely system dependent. Mayeb since you and I each own a fat base (thus we can make up a set) the thing for me to do is buy a pair of the Amperex's? I just hate to lay out that kinda cash without more info...

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2008, 05:13 pm »
Remember I have a bid in on an Amperex set.....hang tight till Monday