more BRAND NEW high end AVA components

dminches

Re: more BRAND NEW high end AVA components
« Reply #80 on: 8 Oct 2011, 04:55 pm »
Any comparisons of the Hybrid Vision and the new FET Valve DACs in terms of sound characteristics?  I will certainly be listening to the new DAC at the RMAF but I don't know if you plan on having the hybrid vision there also.

avahifi

« Reply #81 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:22 pm »
The improvements with new the Fet Valve preamplifier and Fet Valve DAC are hard to verbalize.  You will know it when you hear it.

It is a matter of sounding more "relaxed" and "natural" while still retaining the amazing dynamics, micro-dynamics, range, and bass power and control our users already are familiar with.

For example, this afternoon I am playing a CD of the London recording of H.M.S. Pinafore done by the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company long ago.  This series of nearly all the Gilbert and Sullivan classics was nearly universally panned as being nearly unlistenably bright and harsh.  With a complete new Fet Valve system running my Salk HT3s, the music is wonderful and it is easy to understand all the words both with the solos and the large chorus.  I have never heard this sound anywhere near this great before.

The Avastar preamp and Vision Hybrid DAC remain top class performers, but we were able to exceed their performance capabilities with the new equipment. Remember we offer a 30 day satisfaction guarantee on all new AVA products, so it won't cost you much to try our very best new equipment, although it will cost a bit more if you decide to keep the new Fet Valve units.   :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

strat95

« Reply #82 on: 8 Oct 2011, 07:49 pm »
Frank, thanks for trying to describe the sound.  How does the sound relate to accuracy.  Does more relaxed mean accuracy is affected?

Toka

« Reply #83 on: 8 Oct 2011, 08:33 pm »
http://www.avguide.com/article/brand-new-audio-van-alstine-the-fet-valve-series

Wow!  :o They look excellent! Bet they sound even better.

If I had to pick the most minor of nits, it would be concerning the labeling of the input knob...I think it would look much cleaner/more consistent if the "Input" label were at the 12 o'clock position (consistent with volume/balance) and then the numbers running counter-clockwise on the lower half of the dial (so '1' at 9 o'clock and '6' at 3 o'clock). It just caught my eye that the word "input" is on it twice, but not used for all numbers.

Still, given that nothing about that concerns sonics or reliability it is hard to get too upset about.  8) Hoping to hear them someday soon.

avahifi

« Reply #84 on: 8 Oct 2011, 08:58 pm »
Note that these are pre-production prototype faceplates. We are picking nits too.  :)

Although the actual metal is a done deal, there probably will be minor adjustments to the actual text and graphics.

The graphic designer got to see and hear the finished and assembled prototype units today and was very impressed.  We went over some suggested improvements and I will have updated engineering drawings within a week.  Nothing drastic will happen, but some details can be improved at only the cost of new screens necessary for the double anodize process.

By the way, the beveled edges and holes in the faceplates are bead blast finished, the front surfaces are fine horizontal straight line finished, with a double anodize process, clear for the background and black for the text and graphics that can never wear off.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

P.S.  In this case "more relaxed and natural" means more accurate, defined, and transparent than ever.  Regarding the comment wondering about using the Aikido circuit concepts in the power amp too, we actually have a big prototype hybrid amp running this configuration.  It was developed in parallel with the Fet Valve circuits.  It is very very nice, but we feel it is a bit lacking the the amazing "wow factor" of the 400R and 600R,  both of which are major evolutions of our original hybrid designs.

charmerci

« Reply #85 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:11 pm »
Frank,

If you had to choose one (amp, pre or DAC), which one would you recommend to make the biggest improvement in sound? (Given the other components are yours too.)

avahifi

« Reply #86 on: 8 Oct 2011, 09:21 pm »
I would go with a new Fet Valve 400R or 600R amplifier first.  We had to have these circuits done first to enable us to clearly hear the differences between various preamp and DAC circuit configuratons we have been testing.

Regards,

Frank

strat95

« Reply #87 on: 8 Oct 2011, 10:02 pm »
P.S.  In this case "more relaxed and natural" means more accurate, defined, and transparent than ever.  Regarding the comment wondering about using the Aikido circuit concepts in the power amp too, we actually have a big prototype hybrid amp running this configuration.  It was developed in parallel with the Fet Valve circuits.  It is very very nice, but we feel it is a bit lacking the the amazing "wow factor" of the 400R and 600R,  both of which are major evolutions of our original hybrid designs.

Thank you for the answers Frank, and congrats on the new product line.  Looks like an order for a 400R upgrade will be coming your way.  Just to confirm, the upgrade price was $1500 but was going to increase.  Is that price still available and for how long?

Thanks again,

Ted

pardales

« Reply #88 on: 8 Oct 2011, 10:55 pm »
Will the design achievements of your new Fet Valve series trickle into your solid-state line?

avahifi

« Reply #89 on: 9 Oct 2011, 12:01 pm »
The cut off date for the Fet Valve 400R or 600R upgrades is November 1st.  Get your order in with us before then to take advantage of the $1500 upgrade price.  After that it is $1999.

The circuit improvement for the hybrid equipment is not applicable to the solid state Insight+ units.  These have completely different technologies.  We remind you that the Insight+ equipment should not be overlooked.  These units have amazing performance and are very high value choices.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

guest1632

« Reply #90 on: 9 Oct 2011, 12:20 pm »
Ray

Regards,
Dean

Thanks Dean. I had posted my message before he had announced the prices. Now, it's to bad you can't have your choice of either black or silver. So you just bought your 400R or 600R, and it comes with the Black plates. Then you get your new FET Valve preamp with the Silver plates. Cosmetically, what a mismatch. A black plate probably would look good too. But then, I would guess once Frank gets in the silver plate for the amps, you could buy one if so desired, and sell the other one. just a thought.

Ray Bronk

guest1632

« Reply #91 on: 9 Oct 2011, 12:36 pm »

The cut off date for the Fet Valve 400R or 600R upgrades is November 1st.  Get your order in with us before then to take advantage of the $1500 upgrade price.  After that it is $1999.

The circuit improvement for the hybrid equipment is not applicable to the solid state Insight+ units.  These have completely different technologies.  We remind you that the Insight+ equipment should not be overlooked.  These units have amazing performance and are very high value choices.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Hi Frank,

Just curious can the circuit design of the 400R and 600R be brought in to the realm of the 100W hybrid amps you have now. It seems somehow inconsistent to have this good of amplifier with 200W and upwards, yet, the 100W doesn't have the openness totell the difference between the two prees. Just a thought Frank. Your stuff is now getting in to the high price catagory. Will you also have a T9 preamp out there with the newer technology?

Also, just ccurious, supposedly, the 6CG7 and its octal brother the 6SN7 are supposedly suppose to sound about the same. Why did you elect to stay with the 6CG7 versus the 6SN7?

I'm not knocking your choice of tubes here, but figuring that you were doing a fresh design, the 6SN7 could have been employed. So just interested in your thoughts in the matter.

Ray Bronk

avahifi

« Reply #92 on: 9 Oct 2011, 03:05 pm »
The problem with building a lower powered Fet Valve hybrid amplifier is that it will require all the same "support structure" as the higher powered ones.

It will still need ten separate active regulated power supplies, a multi-tap power transformer, a case, faceplate, jacks, and everything else.  Most of these cannot be scaled down in size or price.  We would simply have a lower powered amp that was nearly the same price as the 400R and that would serve no useful economic purpose.

Going to an octal socket tube socket would then preclude the use of several standard 9-pin tubes available.  Although older NOS 6SN7 tubss are highly regarded, new production ones do not have a sterling reputation and we are very happy with the musicality we have achieved using the similar 6CG7 tube in the Aikido configuration along with a lot of special AVA enhancements.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

d55124

« Reply #93 on: 9 Oct 2011, 03:47 pm »
Frank, what is the cut-off date for ordering the 400R/600R in the black chassis at the old price?

Thx

avahifi

« Reply #94 on: 9 Oct 2011, 04:41 pm »
That cut off date will depend upon when we have a firm date of receiving our new faceplates and chassis in production quantities.

The orders for these will not be placed until after RMAF and I suspect it will be 6-8 weeks before we can put all the necessary new parts together after that.

We will let you know when we have a firm cutoff date.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

modular747

« Reply #95 on: 9 Oct 2011, 04:55 pm »
Frank, you should pin this thread.

What about those of us who had the Ultra II 550 or 350 update?  Is the price to complete the output section to the 600R or 400R still $500?  Is there a cut off date?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #96 on: 9 Oct 2011, 05:13 pm »
The new gear looks really nice!  :thumb:

I do, however, prefer the double anodized black face plates. I understand the desire to have gear that catches one's eye at a show but, in my room, I prefer the gear to remain more innocuous. Especially when listening.

Is there an available option for having the same pretty faceplates in black?  :drool:

Wayner

« Reply #97 on: 9 Oct 2011, 06:45 pm »
Yes, it's the old faceplate.

avahifi

« Reply #98 on: 9 Oct 2011, 08:22 pm »
To offer a choice of the newly upgraded faceplates in either silver or black would mean we would have to double our tooling and inventory costs of faceplates, knobs, and more. This would simply raise the prices for everyone. We can't use the standard black faceplates on the new Fet Valve equipment because the control functions have changed too and old faceplates won't match the new functions or even the new power switch and LED (and electronic on and off circuits in the power amps).

No matter what we do, someone will always object.  Please - -  its the sound that is most important! We offered XLR fittings and balanced line operation with only two takers in the past year.  We got as many complaints as compliments regarding going to IEC plug-in power cords, and now some want a faceplate a different color than what we offer.  For about $10,000 per unit, and a six month lead time, we probably can turn out the equipment with just about any color or combination of knobs and functions you might want (no satisfaction guarantee and no order cancelation allowed of course).

Of course once you hear the new Fet Valve equipment, you probably will agree that even if they were priced at $10,000 each, they still would be bargains in the world of "high end" equipment out there.

Again, remember its the music.

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #99 on: 9 Oct 2011, 08:30 pm »
No matter what we do, someone will always object.  Please - -  its the sound that is most important! We offered XLR fittings and balanced line operation with only two takers in the past year.  We got as many complaints as compliments regarding going to IEC plug-in power cords, and now some want a faceplate a different color than what we offer.  For about $10,000 per unit, and a six month lead time, we probably can turn out the equipment with just about any color or combination of knobs and functions you might want (no satisfaction guarantee and no order cancelation allowed of course).

I personally prefer the gold champagne color like the vintage Marantz or Fisher, so could you build one like that for me, Frank? Just kidding, but I am not kidding about my preference.

The moderne look for A/V eq. now is silver or black. I think black is better.

Yep, it's hard to please everyone, but it's important that audio eq should match nicely with your room decor.