AVA Equipment and High Resolution music

avahifi

AVA Equipment and High Resolution music
« on: 15 Mar 2011, 02:25 pm »
Its time to give you all a followup regarding playing high resolution digital music with AVA equipment.

I am using an new high res software program called Fidelia on my new Macbook Pro computer.  This is available as a 15 day trial free download and has only a $20.00 license fee.  It is very easy to use, seems to be foolproof, and works very well.  However it is only available for the Mac so you PC users will need to search elsewhere for the best software solution.

First of all the AVA Vision DAC series is capable of hi res playback with up to 192/24 material.  There are several ways to get the digital information into our DACs.

With the Vision EC DAC or Vision Hybrid DAC the most direct connection is simply with an optical cable from the computer to our DAC.  This will allow up to 96/24 playback from Fidelia (or standard Redbook from iTunes).  No software drivers or accessories are needed, except a mini-toslink to toslink adaptor to allow the interface from the optical cable into the tiny headphone jack - optical output on the Mac.

With the standard Vision DAC which has coax SPDIF input only, you will need some kind of converter box. I have found a very good solution for that, namely the Kingrex UC192.  This takes the USB digital output from the computer at anything up to 192/24 and converts it to a high resolution digital output signal to a standard coax cable.  It is necessary for 192/24 in any event, as the Mac optical output is only good up to 96/24.  I am very pleased with the way this works with my Mac and Fidelia.  There are no software drivers needed with the Mac (they are supplied for PCs) and it is a completely transparent plug and play solution.

Finally there is another USB solution, called the miniStreamer.  This is a tiny USB board that could fit inside the DAC with some modifications.  It allows a direct USB connection from the computer to the DAC.  Again this is only useful up to 96/24 but again does not need software drivers.

I have now evaluated all these combinations with my Mac and my audio system and am getting excellent music results with each of these methods.  Remember to move our DAC's board jumper for best 192/24 playback.

Remember with the Mac you need to go into the Sound utility and choose the output device, and into the Midi utility to set the sample rate and word size.

I know a lot of you are far ahead of me with this technology, but for those that are not, it is worthwhile getting started now.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
Re: AVA Equipment and High Resolution music
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:54 pm »
Its time to give you all a followup regarding playing high resolution digital music with AVA equipment.

I am using an new high res software program called Fidelia on my new Macbook Pro computer.  This is available as a 15 day trial free download and has only a $20.00 license fee.  It is very easy to use, seems to be foolproof, and works very well.  However it is only available for the Mac so you PC users will need to search elsewhere for the best software solution.

First of all the AVA Vision DAC series is capable of hi res playback with up to 192/24 material.  There are several ways to get the digital information into our DACs.

With the Vision EC DAC or Vision Hybrid DAC the most direct connection is simply with an optical cable from the computer to our DAC.  This will allow up to 96/24 playback from Fidelia (or standard Redbook from iTunes).  No software drivers or accessories are needed, except a mini-toslink to toslink adaptor to allow the interface from the optical cable into the tiny headphone jack - optical output on the Mac.

With the standard Vision DAC which has coax SPDIF input only, you will need some kind of converter box. I have found a very good solution for that, namely the Kingrex UC192.  This takes the USB digital output from the computer at anything up to 192/24 and converts it to a high resolution digital output signal to a standard coax cable.  It is necessary for 192/24 in any event, as the Mac optical output is only good up to 96/24.  I am very pleased with the way this works with my Mac and Fidelia.  There are no software drivers needed with the Mac (they are supplied for PCs) and it is a completely transparent plug and play solution.

Finally there is another USB solution, called the miniStreamer.  This is a tiny USB board that could fit inside the DAC with some modifications.  It allows a direct USB connection from the computer to the DAC.  Again this is only useful up to 96/24 but again does not need software drivers.

I have now evaluated all these combinations with my Mac and my audio system and am getting excellent music results with each of these methods.  Remember to move our DAC's board jumper for best 192/24 playback.

Remember with the Mac you need to go into the Sound utility and choose the output device, and into the Midi utility to set the sample rate and word size.

I know a lot of you are far ahead of me with this technology, but for those that are not, it is worthwhile getting started now.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

This is great news, straight from "The Man".  In making the transaction from the IT industry back to my true love (music), I find myself wanting to disavow any knowledge of "computers" (aka "Windows" for 99.99% of the populace - as in "HEY! You work on computers?  I got a problem with my...") yet excited about the great potential of digital technology.  I've heard most of the arguments about why digital is "impure" and such, but so is calculus and it's been getting the job done for a few centuries now.  I run linux and use "free" and/or "Open Source" source software for most things because it does the job.  The variety and quality of this type of software for audio is pretty impressive. 

Many linux compatible motherboards come with an integrated "sound card", and most of these have a coax out, some have optical as well.  I'm running this setup now into an MCM Electronics DAC (apparently equivalent to the earlier version of the Beresford TC-7520) into my current AVA/Hsu setup.  For a "Certified Senior Citizen" with blown ears, I'm hearing detail on even standard mp3s (44100Hz) purchased from eMusic.com that are beyond any of my previous experiences.  I'm listening to BB's "The Thrill is Gone" from  "Live at the Apollo".  ..er..  I WAS.  Had to leave the keyboard and pick up my flattop and play along with that, and then "Every Day I Have the Blues" from "Live at the Apollo". 

I've been dreaming about my next AVA component every since I got my first - a used PAT-5 FET-II - last July. 

From my perspective, Frank has covered all the bases for those of us who just want to enjoy music, and don't care about the "Well, if you can't actually HEAR the difference like I can, then I guess that stuff would be all right for YOU" type folks.  Go off and debate about who has the purest of the "Golden Ears", and don't bother  the rest of us who just wanna groove!

Thanks Frank - you've done it again!

rlee8394

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2011, 01:48 am »
I built a system using this:

http://vortexbox.org/

I ripped all of my CDs to FLAC and ripped DVDs including Blu-rays to MKV. Works great. Just drop disk in, let it rip, take disc out. Really a nice setup. Jim Salk is using the same software on his custom appliance. Give it a look.

Ron

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:23 am »
I've been dreaming about my next AVA component every since I got my first - a used PAT-5 FET-II - last July. 

WOOPS!  Did I mention I was listening to the blues?  I meant "ever since I got my first.."

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:26 am »
Frank, are you hearing worthwhile benefits with 44K lossless material also (FLAC, ALAC etc?) rlee, have you done any AB's between FLAC/AIFF?

At some point I'll probably start asking similar questions, but for now, playing even mp3 source material through good equipment is a revealation.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2011, 03:21 am »
I downloaded the player (bought it actually).
There is apparently a "pro" version; don't know what the difference is. Maybe that one allows you to add virtual spike feet and virtual garden-hose-size IEC power cord  :lol:

Seriously though, I think it does sound better than itunes. If I bought a placebo, at least it was a $20 placebo, not a $5000 one! I figured for $20, wtf, if nothing else I get tired of dealing with the bloat of itunes.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2011, 02:57 am »
I use a player called COG and it seems to work very well.  I am a believer in differences in sound that don't make sense but some of the things that I read people do with Mac Minis with power cords and all I don't quite understand.

I like the idea of having about 3 terabytes of uncompressed and sometimes hi rez music at my fingertips.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #7 on: 18 Mar 2011, 04:14 am »
I use a player called COG and it seems to work very well.  I am a believer in differences in sound that don't make sense but some of the things that I read people do with Mac Minis with power cords and all I don't quite understand.

I like the idea of having about 3 terabytes of uncompressed and sometimes hi rez music at my fingertips.

I've only got about 420G ("only" - hah!) of just audio, but even the sound quality of (just two examples) the audio of Jimmy Cliff and Allen Touissant from their recent Austin City Limits tv episodes is impressive played through my PAT5/FET-II - Omega III 260 - Hsu HB1 Mk2s (with or without the Hsu STF-2).  I record the video stuff off the air through a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun ATSC receiver onto my linux box, and play it back through MythTV, which I 'THINK' uses mplayer.  Even the mp3s I buy off emusic and play with either mplayer or Transcribe! (non-free but VERY reasonable for-pay music transcription software) sound better than the original recordings to me.  And then there's hdtracks.com, which has some hi-rez flac and ogg files available, including some free samples of just the highest res that anyone who is a doubter should check out.  And keep in mind that this is off the Asus motherboard's coax output (Intel 82801JI/ICH10 chipset) into the MCM electronics DAC.  I plan to get one of Frank's DACs as soon as I can afford it, but for now, I'm in music junkie heaven.

avahifi

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2011, 07:46 pm »
I am re-posting these comments I recently made on the high res circle just to make sure AVA fans see the info, as follows:

Problems with the AES report on audibility of high bit rate digital.

In the September, 2007 newsletter of the Audio Engineering Society, Brad Miller and David Moran presented a long, detailed, and (what they thought) definitive report regarding the audibility of high bit rate digital audio as compared with standard Redbook.  Their conclusion, given their test methods, was that the ability to reliably pick out high bit rate material (in this case 96/24) from standard 44/16 was random.  Thus there was no musical advantage to what all of us interested in this are trying to accomplish.

For a long time I was satisfied that they were correct and that their study was foolproof.

However a closer look at their test setup recently reveals that a fatal assumption was made.

Their setup used a "highly regarded" SACD player as the source playing either 96/24 SACD or DVD Audio discs.  The analog output of the player was then sent (via an ABX box) to the audio preamp and power amp and speakers.  The analog output was also sent to an ADA converter (analog to digital to analog) which converted the analog audio from the SACD player back to 16 bit 44K digital and then back to analog again.  This output was also sent to the ABX box.

The user could select the playback from either direct 96/24 from the SACD player, or reworked 44/16 from the ADA converter.  Of course which one was being selected was not reveled to the listeners.  Thus the true double blind nature of the test.

Meyer/Moran pointed out that if the ADA box was doing any musical damage, that should have tipped the findings even further in favor of the direct analog output from the 96/44 source playing in the SACD player.  It did not.

The conclusion then reached was that there was no audible difference between 96/24 and 44/16 digital.

The bad assumption made was that the source SACD player was essentially perfect.  Unfortunately, it likely is not.

Since that study was made, we have learned how to intercept the digital data stream from an SACD player ahead of its internal D to A converters, digital filters, and analog output circuits (something in general not allowed by the format).

When we do this, substituting our own DAC for that built into the SACD player, we can realize obviously better musicality.  For sure the SACD player's analog audio output is not the living end!

Thus, all this study likely shows is that the analog output of the SACD player used in this test likely was not of adequate resolution and linearity to distinguish the difference between standard and high bit rate digital source material.

To draw any meaningful conclusions, the test process should be repeated using a foolproof high bit rate source and a foolproof way of making the comparisons.  Unfortunately, this highly regarded test does not do that.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

PS I have a .pdf copy of the complete test if anyone is interested.

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
« Reply #9 on: 21 Mar 2011, 08:35 pm »
To draw any meaningful conclusions, the test process should be repeated using a foolproof high bit rate source and a foolproof way of making the comparisons.  Unfortunately, this highly regarded test does not do that.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

PS I have a .pdf copy of the complete test if anyone is interested.

And this is the essence of science.  Peer review, replicability (is this even a word?), falsifiability...

Okay all you academics, time for another study!

joeriz

« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:27 pm »
So, Frank, I'm just wondering based on your comments above:  Do you hear improvements in sonics that you would attribute to a recording being "high rez"?  Or are the improvements more likely related to the fact that the signal is now passing through AVA gear?  I believe (I may be mistaken) that I've seen you state before that high rez may not be all that big of a deal under real-world listening conditions.  This mirrors my experience.

(The above is not intended to be "controversial" in any way...I'm just curious.)

Thanks,
Joe

ToddB

« Reply #11 on: 23 Mar 2014, 07:21 pm »
Good information.  Thanks.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #12 on: 23 Mar 2014, 09:04 pm »
Their conclusion, given their test methods, was that the ability to reliably pick out high bit rate material (in this case 96/24) from standard 44/16 was random.

Who were the test subjects?

Any "real" test includes a "Control Group". Is the Control Group made up of non-audiophiles? If it is, that would clearly explain the dead-heat tie. Audiophiles can hear a difference - Control Group cannot. 50-50; just like that.

In my system, which is proudly and primarily AVA, I can discern Hi Res each and every time.

I'm pretty sure there's a Vinyl Guy that knows damn well his LP sounds better than my Hi Res, too.  :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

firedog

« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2014, 08:18 pm »
There was another problem with that test: They didn't check the source of the SACDs they used. Some of them were upsampled from lower res masters (even 16/44.1). So the comparison was invalid from the start.
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2014, 08:41 am by firedog »