ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC/PREAMPLIFIER COMBO UNIT

avahifi

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC/PREAMPLIFIER COMBO UNIT
« Reply #40 on: 25 Dec 2010, 05:56 pm »
Note that we can now supply the Vision DAC/Preamp combo unit with two digital coax inputs as a $50 option.

The second digital coax input is selected by a back panel toggle switdh.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

P.S  Sorry, two coax inputs only, optical inputs require another internal circuit board and a place to mount the optical inputs, no room for these in the combo DAC/Preamp unit.

rez

« Reply #41 on: 29 Dec 2010, 03:41 am »
Ordered today - with 2nd coax input - can't wait!

martyo

« Reply #42 on: 29 Dec 2010, 09:29 am »
 :thumb:

rez

« Reply #43 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:03 pm »
Unit arrived today!  Plugged the coax out from my marantz cd63se using it as a transport only - really spectacular resolution without harshness! 

I'm concerned about the other input - from iTunes via airport express -> optical cable -> optical/coax converter -> coax cable into vision dac/amp cd coax input.  My initial impression is of a slight veiling of the sound as compared with the input from the cd player. 

I'm hoping some Apple guru's see this - I've used the Audio Midi setup app to configure the output from my iMac to 96000 Hz and 2 channel 24 bit going to the airport express.  At the preamp/dac I'm using the Model 977 Digital Audio Optical/RCA Coax converter into one of the 2 cd inputs (I've also tested with a cheapo optical/rca converter and they sound identical to me).  With this input chain - all digital - I'm a little surprised by the possible deficit in sound as compared with the digital out from the cd player.  Again, this is just an initial reaction so will have to spend more time listening to confirm but thought I should put this out there to see if anyone else has suggestions/observations/experiences to share.

rlee8394

« Reply #44 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:12 pm »
Rez,
How was the source ripped to the iMac? MP3, Lossless, AIFF, ?

Ron

rez

« Reply #45 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:54 pm »
Sorry, should have mentioned that as well... I bought a separate 500Gb drive for my library so ripping everything AIFF.

Crimson

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jan 2011, 11:58 pm »
I'm hoping some Apple guru's see this - I've used the Audio Midi setup app to configure the output from my iMac to 96000 Hz and 2 channel 24 bit going to the airport express.

If you ripped standard CDs to AIFF, you should set AudioMidi to 16/44.1, not 24/96. You've got iTunes upsampling, not something you should really do. Also, the Airport Express only supports 16/48 (meaning the files are then downsampled), and the additional wireless to optical to coax conversions probably don't help either.  :wink:

rez

« Reply #47 on: 1 Feb 2011, 12:06 am »
ref. you should set AudioMidi to 16/44.1 - Will try that and see! thanks very much!  Any other suggestions for getting the source material from the iMac (in the family room) to the preamp/dac in the living room would also be appreciated!

Thanks again.

rez

« Reply #48 on: 1 Feb 2011, 12:25 am »
with the output from the iMac set to 16/44.1kHz I would say that it is a touch subdued in the mid/treble and a slight bit more pronounced in the bass than the cd source  :dunno:

trebejo

« Reply #49 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:19 am »
The Macs have optical out, so I use a long enough optical cable (currently 50 ft.). That's for computer sound. For music, I use a squeezebox (i.e. ethernet), then either optical or coax to the DAC. The squeezebox is slightly redundant but it helps to organize the collection and ethernet can be useful.

rez

« Reply #50 on: 1 Feb 2011, 05:08 pm »
That's a great suggestion - since the dac/preamp has only rca inputs then a solution that avoids the optical component I think would be preferable (as someone else has noted).  In the interests of due diligence I'm going to try the same tests today but with the itunes and cd inputs at the dac swapped to see if the difference exists in the actual interface on the dac/preamp (I got the optional extra rca digital input on my unit).  Hopefully the difference is not between the 2 inputs on the unit.

rez

« Reply #51 on: 1 Feb 2011, 11:00 pm »
Definitely a problem with one of the inputs on the pre-amp/dac - when I plugged the iTunes/iMac into where the CD was plugged in it produced a more or less identical result to the CD.  The CD plugged in where the iMac was produced the same veiled/thin sound.  Sending an email to Frank.

rez

« Reply #52 on: 8 Nov 2011, 12:26 am »
Thought I should provide an update to my journey with the unit - looking through various on-line resources it became clear that iTunes might not be the last word in fidelity.  I seem to have hit a sweet spot using Pure Music player and the Airfoil capture utility to capture the output and send it to my AirPort Express - has been an eye (not to mention ear) opening experience so far.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #53 on: 8 Nov 2011, 03:27 am »
Sounds like you're experiencing how wonderfully revealing your DAC/preamp is.

Thought I should provide an update to my journey with the unit - looking through various on-line resources it became clear that iTunes might not be the last word in fidelity.  I seem to have hit a sweet spot using Pure Music player and the Airfoil capture utility to capture the output and send it to my AirPort Express - has been an eye (not to mention ear) opening experience so far.

ckullmann1

« Reply #54 on: 13 Mar 2012, 02:24 pm »
OneInThePipe -- I know it has been a while, but did you ever provide a review on the pre-amp/dac combo?  What were you using before and how did it improve the sound?  I'd be very interested in hearing your review or thoughts?

rez

« Reply #55 on: 16 Jun 2012, 02:27 pm »
In the process of going to the next step in detaching myself from another of the iMacs potential limitations, the airport express router.  Just ordered some coax with rca ends from BJC and after some searching and consulting with various folks here and on other sites also bought the Audiophilleo2 usb to s/pdif converter (to be delivered).  Also considered the KingRex UC192 and Stello U3 but steered towards the A2 by a reviewer who has listened extensively to all 3 and highly recommended the A2.  Will post again after I've had a chance to listen using the Fidelia player.

rez

« Reply #56 on: 28 Jun 2012, 02:52 am »
Well Audiophilleo 2 arrived a couple of days ago - connected it up to the iMac and set the output to it via preferences - ran out the coax to the vision dac/preamp and *deep breath* started playing some music - right off the bat I was blown away!  I think I'm finally getting the full value of the Vision!  Can't get enough!

guest1632

« Reply #57 on: 19 Aug 2012, 03:51 pm »
More Vision from AVA - - - The Vision DAC/Preamplifier

All the musicality of the new basic Vision DAC combined with the Insight SL preamplifier in one economical and easy to use package.

An upgraded chassis layout, a new DAC design, a new power supply, new ground plane shielded circuit boards throughout, and we now can build a complete full function preamplifier combined with our new Vision D to A converter in one economical and functional package.

The Vision DAC/Preamp can be ordered with all of our normal Insight preamplifier options: remote control, an outstanding RIAA phono preamplifier section, buffered tape outputs, built in phase inverter, and soon even balanced line outputs and XLR output hardware.

The Vision DAC/Preamp has all the same functions standard as our great Insight SL preamplifier.  The only difference is that the CD input is a direct coax connection in from your CD or DVD/CD digital output.  It is built using the same rugged AVA SL chassis.

The base price is $1599, twenty percent less than the separate prices of the new Vision DAC and the Insight SL preamp.  Option prices are the same as for the Insight preamp. Vision EC DAC options are not available in this package.

We are saving you hundreds on this great new package and providing you with the best music for the money you have ever heard.
Available right now.

Balanced line output option will be available in about six weeks for $200 extra

Please call me for more details. 651-330-9871

Frank Van Alstine

Hi Frank,
Are you now gonna upgrade this preamp to the newer one.

avahifi

« Reply #58 on: 20 Apr 2013, 02:01 pm »
I keep noticing threads herein regarding trying to turn a DAC into a preamp too.

We offer the opposite approach; a full function preamp with a built-in high quality DAC.

Scroll back through this thread to learn more about it.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Rocket

« Reply #59 on: 27 Sep 2013, 11:49 pm »
Hi,

Just wondering whether there are any reviews on this preamp/dac combo or advice from members who have compared it with other products.

Thanks Rod
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm by Rocket »