ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !

avahifi

Re: ANNOUNCING THE NEW AVA VISION DAC ! ! !
« Reply #40 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:34 pm »
jhm731, my wizzard designer says, "the majority of DAC producers that offer "switchless" 32-192k support do so by upsampling *everything* to 192k through one of the devices I sent you info about earlier (i.e., Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter chips). This gets the job done, but the asynchronous upsampling is a lossy process."  No I do not want to pay for external USB hardware and software support. This would just unnecessarily raise the prices. (As would providing a removable power power cord)  :o  Please keep to appropriate comments here.

BrianM, what pray tell is  "R2R" ?

jtwrace,  the new Ultravalve amp has a new audio board, new layout, improved circuits, and even better musicality than the U70 upgrade for the Dyna St-70.  It is certainly worth the price both in musical quality and build qualtiy.  We are about two weeks away from getting the new light gold anodized faceplate and we will be shipping.

Finally, please keep this thread to the Vision DAC.  Post stuff about our other products, or others, in a more appropriate thread.

Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #41 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:46 pm »

BrianM, what pray tell is  "R2R" ?

Great article!

Both the Ultra DAC and OmegaStar DACs are true 16-bit R2R DACs of course.  :)

Frank Van Alstine

rcag_ils

« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2009, 03:50 pm »
Congratulations, Frank for another outstanding product, I had the opportunity to listen to them while they were in the prototype stage, they sounded nice.

Now off the topic a bit.........
the new Ultravalve amp has a new audio board, new layout, improved circuits, and even better musicality than the U70 upgrade for the Dyna St-70.  It is certainly worth the price both in musical quality and build qualtiy.

I just purchased the new U70 board to build the U70 from scratch, is there any way that I can build it to the Ultravalve level of performance?

mark funk

bmckenney

« Reply #44 on: 19 Dec 2009, 04:10 pm »
It was nice of Chris to provide some facts about USB and audio and I think the post was relevant to the new product announcement and was in no way meant to insult anyone.  The reason I think it is relevant is because as a past and likely future customer of AVA (I'm looking at good value DACs for a computer music server) I know how AVA products evolve with improvements and features and product upgrades trickle out.  So if the clarification Chris provided might result in a USB enhancement to the Vision DAC I for one would want to know if it might be considered by Frank.  And I want to know if he won't consider it, and why.  I'm also interested in a DAC that won't require the use of a reclocker or interface adapter.  It's nothing but knowledge sharing.  This is good stuff.  I'm looking forward to hearing some reports on the sound of the Vision DAC.

jhm731

« Reply #45 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:25 pm »
jhm731, my wizzard designer says, "the majority of DAC producers that offer "switchless" 32-192k support do so by upsampling *everything* to 192k through one of the devices I sent you info about earlier (i.e., Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter chips). This gets the job done, but the asynchronous upsampling is a lossy process."  No I do not want to pay for external USB hardware and software support. This would just unnecessarily raise the prices. (As would providing a removable power power cord)  :o  Please keep to appropriate comments here.
Thanks,

Frank Van Alstine

Mr. Van Alstine-

I’ve never received any info from you about ASRCs.

The Asynchronous USB DACs I know of, are currently limited to 24/96
and don’t use ASRCs.

Good luck with your new DAC.

avahifi

« Reply #46 on: 19 Dec 2009, 05:41 pm »
SMARGO, I am listening to your new Vision DAC right now.  It will ship on Monday via UPS two day.

Merry Christmas.

Now can I take the rest of the weekend off please?   :)

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

strat95

« Reply #47 on: 20 Dec 2009, 07:04 am »
I'm very excited about this new DAC and the price point seems to be quite reasonable for the performance it will offer.

I'm still not too clear about the jumper for ultra high rez.  One setting (up to 24/96) means that no up sampling will take place and files that are 16/44 (or anything lower than 24/96) will be processed as such.  The other jumper setting means you can process up to 24/192 but any input with a lower rez will be up sampled to 24/192.  Is this the case?

If that is the case, some sort of routing for an external jumper as Wayner suggested would be of great use.  There are already sources for high-rez downloads and I already have 24/192 files although not many at this time.  They will likely become more popular.

If the jumper setting is set to 24/96, how will the Vision DAC handle 24/192 and 24/176.4 files?  Will they be down converted to 24/96 or 24/88.2?

Still if a switch on the back can be rigged to act as a jumper, that would just offer more flexibility.

Here is the link on Wolfson's website for the 8742 and to the datasheet.
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/WM8742
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/documents/en/WM8742_Rev4.2.pdf

It has some interesting features including DSD (I2S, RJ, LJ, DSP, DSD).  Does that mean it can handle SACDs?  I know you would need a special connector to pull that off (probably something like I2S), mainly because digital coax is limited by record companies to lower bit rates for copy protection reasons.  An I2S connection could also work great for audio sources from Blu-Ray Audio discs.  A good example would be the Neil Young Archives Blu-Ray box set and many other concert Blu-Ray discs.  It would be nice to feed the digital output from my Blu-Ray player into the AVA Vision DAC.

I hope you guys can clear up my questions.

Either way, I look forward to hearing opinions on the improvements the Vision DAC provides compared to previous models.

Thanks Frank,

TV

charmerci

« Reply #48 on: 20 Dec 2009, 09:21 am »
Thanks TV,

I was having a dog of a time looking for info on the chip. All I found was an interview with Paul McGowan on the new chip. (In it, I saw some fundamental "philosophical" differences between him and Frank on building digital DACs, so I didn't post it here.)

avahifi

« Reply #49 on: 20 Dec 2009, 04:24 pm »
Here is the Wolfson information on the 8742 DAC chip.

It is so new that I don't know of any other production users of it yet.

http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/WM8742

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

charmerci

« Reply #50 on: 20 Dec 2009, 04:54 pm »
PS Audio has a $3K DAC that uses it.

tvyankee

« Reply #51 on: 20 Dec 2009, 04:54 pm »
hello,

so in the 24/192 usb mode does this dac down convert the file before its converters and process it in 44k or 48k or does it convert in the files native resolution?

thanks

charmerci

« Reply #52 on: 20 Dec 2009, 06:53 pm »
hello,

so in the 24/192 usb mode does this dac down convert the file before its converters and process it in 44k or 48k or does it convert in the files native resolution?

thanks

It does not have a USB connection.

Frank says on the first post - "Of course, diehards can add a separate USB to optical or USB to coax converter box if they desire (available inexpensively from many sources)."

trebejo

« Reply #53 on: 20 Dec 2009, 07:21 pm »
There is more to a DAC than which chip was used.

I had been using a dacmagic, and it's a pretty nice little dac. Quite competent, I would say. Then I tried an ultradac. Mein gott. Sooooo much better. So much more musical, really.

The reason I mention the dacmagic is that it has an 8740 chip, which looks like a little brother of the 8742. I am pretty sure that the win for the van alstine dac is in what happens around that dac chip, whether it is the older model or this newfangled 8742-based version. It pays to have someone that pays attention to how the music sounds when the dac is done with it, and you know you will get that with this vision dac here.

pardales

« Reply #54 on: 20 Dec 2009, 11:09 pm »
I'm in! Order placed for a new Vision.  :thumb:  :hyper:

See me about an Insight+ if your interested.  aa  :shh:

I've learned from experience with his gear to trust Frank's definition, if not Vision  :lol: of musicality and genuine improvement.    :notworthy:

charmerci

« Reply #55 on: 20 Dec 2009, 11:21 pm »
I'm in! Order placed for the basic version.  :thumb:  :hyper:

See me about an Insight+ if your interested.  aa  :shh:

He can upgrade the Insight+ to a Vision... saving you some bucks.

newzooreview

« Reply #56 on: 24 Dec 2009, 03:12 am »
For folks who are interested in feeding this new AVA DAC from a computer via USB, I ran across this new USB to Coax adapter that might be worth a look. I ordered one but haven't received it. There are reviews out there that suggest it sounds very good. The thing that attracted me is that it uses proprietary Windows and Mac drivers to output bit-perfect digital to the DAC, at up to 24/192 bit depth/sample rate, with very low measured jitter. The only caveat seems to be that some folks are reporting some sporadic clicks coming through. That's a big caveat, but the manufacturer seems to be very active in updating the drivers, so that issue for some people should be resolved. (then again it may not--I'll see how it goes.)

If it works well, I will strongly consider the Vision DAC. I heard the Insight DAC at Dennis Murphy's house when I auditioned some Salk speakers there, and it was excellent. I currently own a modified PS Audio DL III, and it's good too but I trust that Frank knows what he's talking about (and what he's hearing) with the new DAC.

http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html

newzooreview

« Reply #57 on: 24 Dec 2009, 04:31 am »
1. Can the basic Vision DAC receive the balanced output upgrade? I don't need multiple inputs, but I would like balanced outputs.

2. What is the voltage on the balanced outputs (often this is higher than for unbalanced outputs from the same device)?

Many thanks!

srb

« Reply #58 on: 24 Dec 2009, 05:12 am »
He can upgrade the Insight+ to a Vision... saving you some bucks.

If you upgrade your Insight+ it saves you $250.  If you sell the Insight+ you will most likely get a lot more than $250.

Based on the new Vision DAC price of $1100, a used Insight+ should be able to sell for $500 - $600.  At this point in time, it looks like that might be the way to go.

Steve
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2009, 05:33 am by srb »

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #59 on: 24 Dec 2009, 10:16 am »
Still no picture?  We already know it sounds terrific; would be nicer even to know how it looks, and the dimensions...... :thumb: