SACD Ripping Problem using PS3 and Mac

AlanH

SACD Ripping Problem using PS3 and Mac
« on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:30 pm »
Can't Install "sacd-ripper.pkg".

I have confirmed that the PS3 I have is a good model.

"sacd-ripper.pkg" and "ps3free-ps3keys" folder are on a USB thumb drive.
Prior I used a different USB thumb drive when doing the "Section 2 - Hacking the PS3 Operating System".

Then after the restart I used the "sacd-ripper.pkg" and "ps3free-ps3keys" thumb drive.

When I scroll over to game and then up there is nothing above game. All the other icons are below game
but no option to install the "sacd-ripper.pkg".

The thumb drive does show up in the "Saved Data Utility (minis)" and "Saved Data Utility (PS3)
but no option to install anything.

Thanks, AlanH

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: SACD Ripping Problem using PS3 and Mac
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:40 pm »
Welcome Alan :thumb:
I will move this topic to Discless Circle that is the computer audio circle where you will get better response.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2016, 02:41 pm »
This would be better in our SACD ripping thread, not starting block, but I will try and answer. (Edit: not sure why the moderator did not put it in my Hirez Circle, where the original is, but oh well)

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=95396.msg953291#msg953291

What is the exact model number of your PS3?
You did not describe any OtherOS hacking install?  What OS did you start at (must be 3.5 or less)?  How did that go?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2016, 03:10 pm »
Welcome to AC!  The thread that Ted included in the link is what to look at.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2016, 03:20 pm »
Alan, I know we've emailed earlier this summer but I wanted the info out there for others to help out too.  Thx

AlanH

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2016, 11:03 pm »
Hi Ted,

The model and serial number of the PS3 is:
On the bar code label there are these:
PS360GB(A01)
2553F
In the system settings the system name is:
PS3-177
Serial Number is:
CE134499251-CECHAO1

When we emailed earlier you had said it was a good model. Also you thought the OS needed to be hacked so I did install the OtherOS
which seemed to work. Then after a restart I plugged in the flash drive with "sacd-ripper.pkg" on it.

When I scroll over to game and then up there is nothing above game. All the other icons are below game
but no option to install the "sacd-ripper.pkg".

The thumb drive does show up in the "Saved Data Utility (minis)" and "Saved Data Utility (PS3)
but no option to install anything.

Is there away of telling that the OtherOS did in fact install properly?

Thanks, Alan

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2016, 12:12 am »
Based on this - http://www.ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566, the model number looks fine.  Again the firmware must be 3.55 or lower.

AlanH

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2016, 02:44 pm »
The system software is "version 3.55". So still don't why "When I scroll over to game and then up there is nothing above game. All the other icons are below game
but no option to install the "sacd-ripper.pkg"."

Thanks, Alan

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 2 Nov 2016, 03:58 pm »
The system software is "version 3.55". So still don't why "When I scroll over to game and then up there is nothing above game. All the other icons are below game
but no option to install the "sacd-ripper.pkg"."

Thanks, Alan

Not sure if this is the current guide - https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

but it does have screen shots of what it should look like

dminches

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2016, 04:53 pm »
Does someone have the current instructions for updating the firmware on a PS3 for allow for ripping?  My unit is already on 3.55 so it doesn't want to upgrade.  The guide says to read lines 43 - 60 but the link to those lines is broken.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2016, 05:18 pm »
Does someone have the current instructions for updating the firmware on a PS3 for allow for ripping?  My unit is already on 3.55 so it doesn't want to upgrade.  The guide says to read lines 43 - 60 but the link to those lines is broken.
From the broken link:

If the steps above did not work for you, then you are probably on 3.55 already.
You will have to do a recovery menu mode installation:

1: Plug a USB stick into your computer
2: Create a folder in the root of the USB stick called PS3
3: Create a folder inside the PS3 folder called UPDATE
4: Download the 3.55 OtherOS++ firmware
5: Move PS3UPDAT.PUP to the directory UPDATE that you just created on the USB stick
6: Plug the USB stick into your PS3
7: Power down the PS3 through the menu
8: Now press and HOLD the power button, the system will startup and shutdown again
9: Release the power button, then press & HOLD power again, you’ll hear one beep
followed by two consecutive beeps
10: Release power then follow the on-screen instructions. YouÂ’re now in the recovery menu
11: Connect the USB device and select "System Update"
12: Accept Conditions and Follow the instructions

AlanH

« Reply #11 on: 8 Nov 2016, 06:55 pm »
I did have the PDF with the instructions. But I tried to install the "OtherOS" again. It seemed like it worked but after installing I did get a message saying that "3.55 is already installed so need to update".
Is this correct?

Anyway when I plug in the USB flash drive with the sacd-ripper.pkg and the keys folder on it still does not show up when I scroll over to game and then up there is nothing above game. Same problem
I have been having.

Thanks, Alan

Vortexi

« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2017, 04:27 am »
I have the same problem. I have a downgraded PS3 with 3.55 firmware. Ted's guide has dead links the instruction "
16. If this did not work, you are likely already on stock version 3.55 NOTE: if you are already on
stock version 3.55 follow these instructions (starting at line 43, to line 60)" leads to a 'the project has moved page" which in turn leads to the SACD ripper git hub which also has outdated instructions.

can anyone advise me should I be looking for a compiled version of the SACD ripper pkg to install on the PS3? ( as I cannot open the package myself as I have a Mac)