# of Recordings vs. Total $$ of you System

low.pfile

Re: # of Recordings vs. Total $$ of you System
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jul 2014, 06:57 pm »
While I am familiar with the premise that the ratio of equipment to music media once was the measure to determine your audiophileness vs. musicloverness. And I'm sure I've done the calculation. But there are so many holes in this assertion, even with traditional music media.  Today streaming music throws another wrinkle into the formula.

Thinking on this a bit, I am not really sure why it is necessary to quantify and define one's standing. But if one is curious how about comparing the system value vs. the number of hours per month one listens to music — I dont only mean dedicated listening, it could just be playing in the background. I think this ratio is more telling. But honestly all you need to know how much music you listen to, just ask your spouse, friends, or neighbors!

simoon

« Reply #21 on: 3 Jul 2014, 07:24 pm »
Wow, I have just one in that range. Many are in the 100 to 300 range. May I ask what labels these are from?

I have a copy of MUSEO ROSENBACH "ZARATHUSTRA" on Dischi Ricordi. One of the true masterpieces of Italian prog.

The last 6 eBay sales were for a minimum of $1800.

I have a copy of De De Lind "Io Non So Da Dove". Not musically as good as Museo Rosenbach, but just as rare. It is on Mercury.

This also sells consistently for close to $2000.

Alphataurus sells for abut $600.

I have quite a few more pretty rare ones also.

Chazro

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2014, 07:35 pm »
3000+ LP's (lowball avg cost - $6 - although there's a lot of dbl sets and collectibles but...)
 - $18000
1200+ CD's (   "      avg cost - $12 -   "             "             "     sets           "                     )
 - $14400
600+ MP3's (avg cost - $1-$1.30 - but lets jst say a buck)                                             
  - $600

$33000 (probably closer to $40K!)

gear - $15,000+

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jul 2014, 04:21 am »
While I am familiar with the premise that the ratio of equipment to music media once was the measure to determine your audiophileness vs. musicloverness. And I'm sure I've done the calculation. But there are so many holes in this assertion, even with traditional music media.  Today streaming music throws another wrinkle into the formula.

Thinking on this a bit, I am not really sure why it is necessary to quantify and define one's standing. But if one is curious how about comparing the system value vs. the number of hours per month one listens to music — I dont only mean dedicated listening, it could just be playing in the background. I think this ratio is more telling. But honestly all you need to know how much music you listen to, just ask your spouse, friends, or neighbors!

Agreed on both points, though I did have a friend staying overnight and he asked me why I was listening to the same song 5 times in a row (I was trying out power cables).  So maybe we can qualify it as # of hours listening for just pure musical pleasure….

I'll be honest & admit it : I'm at least as much "audiophile" as "music lover", if we want to distinguish between the two, as love of the gear & the quality of reproduction for the former and the music itself as the latter.  I guess an embarrassing admission as "Music Circle Facilitator", but hey, this is "Audio Circles"……

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #24 on: 4 Jul 2014, 05:33 am »
I'm also not sure what the point of this thread is....

Either way......Ron Jeremy wins........ :wink:

jonbee

« Reply #25 on: 4 Jul 2014, 02:18 pm »
My music is on servers now, but it is about 1100 cds, cost probably $15K. I can't image the total I've spent on gear over 46 years, but my 3 current systems are ~$30k, $10k, and $8k.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #26 on: 4 Jul 2014, 02:35 pm »
Well, if I count acoustic treatments, headphones, etc., I've got about 15K tied up in equipment. I've got only about 1500 Lps and around 500 CDs. However I also have about 10K in musical instruments in my listening room. Does that count for anything?

Doc

Mike Nomad

« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2014, 02:29 pm »
Hi-Res downloads are now what most of my purchases are. I pick up Redbook discs (no downloads) only because there are still a few bands that refuse to operate any other way.

Don't see much mention of Redbook/hi-resolution downloads.   :scratch: