Which Cartridge/Phono/Amps/Speakers/Cables do we use with out WTL spinners?

sebrof

What you really need is the Gumby tweak ;)

Alan1572

i gotta ask.....?

sebrof

i gotta ask.....?
Sorry - There's a Gumby poking his head out in the pic I posted, right before your post

mannikman

For me;  and not a hard core audiophool……...

WT Versalex with Dynavector 20X2 LOMC (cartridge was an xmas present from my wife - and boy does that cartridge change with burn in. My first introduction to DV and quite interesting after spending a long time with various Denon incarnations)
Icon Audio PS1 MC valve phono stage
Lector CDP-7T/Mk III CD player (lovely sounding correctly done tube output stage - has a nice analogue type presentation to it, very easy to live with and great if you like to play with tubes - would highly recommend and a hidden gem in audio)
Icon Audio stereo 60 MKIII KT120 valve amplifier
Monitor audio RS8's with upgraded crossovers and internal cabinet mods (I am thinking of changing these and looking at the Proac D30R/D40R, brit thing  :thumb:)
Anti cable interconnects & speaker cable
Little dot headphone amplifier
Audio Technica ATH-W1000 headphones

I have the Auditorium mat which is  great upgrade, and also auditioned the A23 interconnects, but Speltz's anti cable interconnects were just more revealing, which really did surprise me based on reviews. But so many factors are at play, system, ears, room and hormone level. I find the anti cables quite revealing and they really are an absolute bargain for the price, but they are damn ugly and clumsy to use. So not a high end system but it works and gives great pleasure. I must say having owned the Versalex for nearly a year now, it is great to just plonk that diamond tip on the black disc, instead of farting about with an LP12 boom box. Life is too short and there is a lot of vinyl to be played. Now listening to Led Zeppelin III first pressing Japanese copy. What a drummer Bonham was, really drives the music, nearly wet myself.

mannikman

On another note I would love to hear the reference turntable to see how it stacks up against the modern incarnations for WT turntables

threadkiller

You should- it'll make you even happier with your purchase. 
It won't stack up...more like it gets smacked up, tossed a bit, then spitted out.
I had one.  Sometimes it's not good revisiting the past...
Good purchase from the wife! Kudos to her.

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
Interesting post Mannikman. I moved from LP12 to Versalex/ 20XL2 just after the Versalex came out. A nice combination isn't it? Like you I bought the A23 mat based on recommendation and I concur with your findings. Regarding the A23 interconnects they really should be partnered with their speaker cable to complete the loop. I bought the speaker cable first after previously using Mogami and liked it straight away but it wasn't until I slotted in the I/C's that it really started to show its class. Interestingly I've encouraged the UK WT importer John Burns to try the A23's but he's having none of it. His view is that sound differences from the different cables are linked to room acoustics more than anything else. I do not agree with the wise Scot here. The A23's with my gear are just so right and better than Mogami in my room and in my friend's similar system but in a completely different room. Threadkiller's last post is as usual on point. All the WT Amadeus/ Versalex owners who previously owned a Reference that I know of prefer the newer models.

mannikman

I may revisit the A23 cables and try the combination you suggest Rob. I am in the process of auditioning loudspeakers at home, so with that change will come a relook at cables. Mind you my wife has given me some scope on the loudspeaker front, if they look like wardrobes then divorce will loom. The WT turntable has really given me an appreciation for the inner detail in music.  It was there before with the LP12 I had, but you almost had to hunt for it, it wasn't effortlessly presented. I also find that with the Lector CD player it has an effortless presentation but not quite as engaging as the Versalex. Anyone else used Speltz's anti cables.? Would be interested to know how you also got on with them, I know things like cables are dependant on system and there is an effect which sometimes can be subtle, but those cables offer some performance for the price although I do find peoples opinions on them mixed.

gagamut

I use ANTI-CABLE,level 3 reference speaker cable,it's really good,and before i use ANTI-CABLE,I try PAD VENETUS ,STEALTH MLT, 

mannikman

I guess we should consider some of the ancillary equipment that we have with all our different systems. Has anyone any first hand experience of these ultrasonic record cleaners and how they stack up against the more traditional cleaning methods. The science behind how they work is fairly straight forward, and I would say on the face of it this method should give you an exceptional level of groove cleaning. Anyone own one for their black disc collection? Expensive I know, but then if you think about what we have invested in our record collection, maybe a good return in the long run.

ACHiPo

I guess we should consider some of the ancillary equipment that we have with all our different systems. Has anyone any first hand experience of these ultrasonic record cleaners and how they stack up against the more traditional cleaning methods. The science behind how they work is fairly straight forward, and I would say on the face of it this method should give you an exceptional level of groove cleaning. Anyone own one for their black disc collection? Expensive I know, but then if you think about what we have invested in our record collection, maybe a good return in the long run.
I came close to buying one used, but hesitated too long and missed it.  I think it's a good way to go, although I still think it is best to have a surfactant/solvent clean, followed by a rinse, and vac.  No one makes a unit that does that combo yet.

threadkiller

After knowing I wanted something better than the VPI 16.5 I had for years, using the Audio Intelligent fluid we thought the best, I looked at the Keith Monks- very good and much better than the VPI, yet tedious to use. Look it up, it's not fun for someone lazy like me. The Audio Deske was my next choice, yet I had others tell me it was a toy. So next I looked at the KLAudio, and it does better than anything I've heard. And it's so easy, time efficient, and no cleaners to mess with, only distilled water. And you should hear the music... amazing.
I bought one.

threadkiller

Yet a caveat- if you have friends with records consider buying a bat to ward them off- they'll be lining up with bags full.

gagamut

After knowing I wanted something better than the VPI 16.5 I had for years, using the Audio Intelligent fluid we thought the best, I looked at the Keith Monks- very good and much better than the VPI, yet tedious to use. Look it up, it's not fun for someone lazy like me. The Audio Deske was my next choice, yet I had others tell me it was a toy. So next I looked at the KLAudio, and it does better than anything I've heard. And it's so easy, time efficient, and no cleaners to mess with, only distilled water. And you should hear the music... amazing.
I bought one.

you know the KLAudio is a expensive gear,so if just buy a ultrasonic ,will work well??

ADiG

is more than a year I use this spinner:

http://www.knosti.de/english/

is excellent and inexpensive  :wink:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
For me;  and not a hard core audiophool……...

WT Versalex with Dynavector 20X2 LOMC (cartridge was an xmas present from my wife - and boy does that cartridge change with burn in. My first introduction to DV and quite interesting after spending a long time with various Denon incarnations)
Icon Audio PS1 MC valve phono stage
Lector CDP-7T/Mk III CD player (lovely sounding correctly done tube output stage - has a nice analogue type presentation to it, very easy to live with and great if you like to play with tubes - would highly recommend and a hidden gem in audio)
Icon Audio stereo 60 MKIII KT120 valve amplifier
Monitor audio RS8's with upgraded crossovers and internal cabinet mods (I am thinking of changing these and looking at the Proac D30R/D40R, brit thing  :thumb:)
Anti cable interconnects & speaker cable
Little dot headphone amplifier
Audio Technica ATH-W1000 headphones

I have the Auditorium mat which is  great upgrade, and also auditioned the A23 interconnects, but Speltz's anti cable interconnects were just more revealing, which really did surprise me based on reviews. But so many factors are at play, system, ears, room and hormone level. I find the anti cables quite revealing and they really are an absolute bargain for the price, but they are damn ugly and clumsy to use. So not a high end system but it works and gives great pleasure. I must say having owned the Versalex for nearly a year now, it is great to just plonk that diamond tip on the black disc, instead of farting about with an LP12 boom box. Life is too short and there is a lot of vinyl to be played. Now listening to Led Zeppelin III first pressing Japanese copy. What a drummer Bonham was, really drives the music, nearly wet myself.

As a fellow Lector owner I must agree it is the sleeper you say it is. Using Telefunken 12AT7 and loving it. I run two TT one mono one stereo both use Herbies TT matt. Improved them both. Kuzma and Lin LP12. Sorry to off topic however dp not see many Lector owners here.

charles

mannikman

Haven't had the opportunity to try the TF 12AT7 on the Lector. I am currently burning in a pair of cryo'd mullard CV4024 NOS. Much more involving sound compared to the the JJ's I was using previously and a deep soundstage. I tried Herbies audio mat on the WT since I used it on an LP 12 before selling. It was better than the stock mat, but I find the A23 mat much more involving in the midrange. The Herbies mat sucked a little of the life out of the music. I found it was excellent though on sprung decks.

I have plans for a couple of upgrades. New power supply for the WT and there are lots of interesting choices; upgrade speakers, and maybe an ultrasonic record cleaner. I may do the cleaner before the speaker upgrade. Been using the basic nitty gritty which works really well and is a bargain. I plan to send off a couple of LP's  to be cleaned on the audio desk. The KL audio is just too pricey this side of the pond.

threadkiller

Forgot about price differences- over here they're both $4k.
There's things I still don't understand about the AD, why there are brushes to replace, and why, since it's the ultrasonic one buys it for, it still requires cleaning fluid- theirs. I've been told by industry folks the build quality between the two is substantial.

Labpro

It has been a while since this thread has had a new post, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

Based on a recommendation from my Shindo dealer, I'm upgrading from the Amadeus mkII to the GTA mkII w/LTD tone arm.

I use the DPS power supply also.

I'm also upgrading from an EMT TSD-15 cartridge to the 75th Anniversary EMT S75 cartridge.

I use the A23 T2 step-up transformer.

I'd be interested in any feedback from current users.

Thanks!

Kimiimacman

I'd recommend you give the Versalex a listen too.