Which Cartridge/Phono/Amps/Speakers/Cables do we use with out WTL spinners?

rob400

• Versalex and Audio Note for the rest
The forum has been a little slow recently so I thought I'd throw in a thread that might spark some activity.

We all use Well tempered decks but I for one would like to hear from you guys as to which equipment you use along side it.
This isn't a bragging rights thread so it doesn't matter how expensive your gear cost I'd simply like to hear about your choices and how/why you feel that they compliment your turntable. My guess is there are a lot of valve amp uses amongst us.

I'll start it off. My rig is as follows....

WT Versalex/ Auditorium23 Homage mat/ Symmetrex LTD/ Dynavector XV1s
Densen 440xs CD player
Dynvaector L300mk2 pre amp/P300 internal phono stage.
Dynavector HX100 power amp x 2
Shahinian Obelisk 2 speakers
Auditorium 23 interconnects/speaker cables (short lengths bare wire terminated)
Dedicated mains supply/Atlas mains cables/Star wired (earth/live and neutral)mains block.
Solid Oak framed hifi rack with Baltic Birch Ply boards.

I find that Dynavector cartridges compliment my WT better than anything else that I've heard. The same open, natural sound with good PRAT and lovely tone. The same applies to my amp and speakers. In the UK this is the established combination of equipment to compliment out Versalex and Amadeus decks......

« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2015, 06:39 am by rob400 »

SteevA

Versalex/Symetrix/DPS/A23/DV XV1s
Pure Audio Vinyl phono amp
Naim 52/Supercap
Naim 500/500PS
Bespoke 3 way floorstander speakers using Hiquiphon and Scanspeak drivers.
Mogami/Eichmann interconnect from tt to phono amp
Otherwise DIY interconnects using silver cores in teflon tubes (2 per conductor)
Speaker cables as per interconnects but using 11 cores per conductor
Naim Powerlines on CD player, pre & power
DIY rack

But as I type this I am listening to cd on Naim CDX2/555PS.

Plan to try an HX100 but they are scarce here. Did try one of the prototypes and was impressed but didn't have the 500 to compare it to then.

Steve
« Last Edit: 4 Sep 2014, 09:49 pm by SteevA »

Erocka2000

I'm running:

- Amadeus GTA
- Original GTA arm
- Auditorium 23 (standard) mat
- DPS
- Dynavector XX2 mk.II
- Dynavector P75 mk.III
- Line Magnetic 216IA
- DeVore Fidelity Orangutan O/93
- Emotiva ERC-1
- Auditorium 23 speaker cables
- Morrow Audio phono and interconnect cables

System has been sounding great since I recently bought the XX2 and the O93s.  Was previously using the EMT TSD-15 and some DeVore 3XLs.  A lot more weight, snap, texture, tone and macrodynamics.  I'm looking to get a Line Magnetic 518IA and possibly an Oppo BDP-105D in the near future and possibly upgrade the interconnects. 

Thought I'd add some pics. 

rob400

System has been sounding great since I recently bought the XX2 and the O93s.  Was previously using the EMT TSD-15 and some DeVore 3XLs.  A lot more weight, snap, texture, tone and macrodynamics.  I'm looking to get a Line Magnetic 518IA and possibly an Oppo BDP-105D in the near future and possibly upgrade the interconnects. 

Nice pic Erocka. Love the veneer on the DeVores's. The Line Magnetic, DeVore combination seems to be popular in the US.
Sadly we don't have a distributor for LM here in the UK. Glad that you are enjoying your DV. They really are great cartridges especially with WT.

rob400

Plan to try an HX100 but they are scarce here. Did try one of the prototypes and was impressed but didn't have the 500 to compare it to then.

Nice system Steve. The HX100 definitely works with Naim pre amps. I briefly owned a HX1.2 mk2 (but sold it quickly as it was too dry sounding for my palette) The guy i bought it from had upgraded to a HX100 to partner his 552 and drive big Focal speakers. He told me that he preferred the HX100 to the Naim 500. But he preferred his 552 to my L300. The HX100 is a hidden gem IMO.

TimF

Very nice rigs guys, am certainly partial to the Shahinian's, but the Devore O's also extremely nice!

I am Well Tempered less at the moment, but am giving it serious consideration at some point, seeing these pics doesn't help much!

If I do get a WTL table, it will be used with my Naim Uniti as source, Plinius 8200 MKI, Shahinian Obelisk 2's. 

All in due time....

threadkiller

Nice systems, guys....  I know it's hard sometimes ( most times) to get to the level we all want- budget constraints, limited dealers/gear in a given area, even lack of knowledge of what to do next.  Yet what interests me in these polls, and thanks for this one, Rob, is the seemingly rigid limits imposed on racks.
Lots of DIY, which can be fine.  And lots of tinkering on here, which can lead to good or dubious results.
I'm equally guilty. I've bought more devices and discarded them then I'd like to remember.
So why are we reluctant to pull the trigger for racks worthy of our systems? 
That's what I'd like to know....

rob400

Good point Charlie. Racks have a big effect on sound IMO also. I've previously used a Naim Fraim which cost $2000. It worked very well with the Linn/Naim system that I was using at that time. However when I moved over to WTL/DV I found the sound with metal and glass very hard sounding. My WTL dealer and the UK WTL importer both use cheap Ikea racks. They are light and very rigid and I've concluded that my Versalex prefers this type of rack to high mass variants. Good as the Ikea is my preference is for natural timber/or high grade Ply (MDF sounds somewhat dead to these ears) I tried Baltic Birch and fell in love. It produces the most natural and flowing sound. No spikes or isolation pads either they just remove something good IMO. The Box Furniture type rack looks great and works very well. Probaly due to it's extra mass it's not quite as flowing sounding as my Baltic Birch IMO but creates a very stable, natural sound and is my second choice. If I wasn't a skilled Carpenter and able to make my own Baltic Birch/ Solid Hardwood rack I'd buy this type of rack or a Quadraspire/Hutter. On a sonic par with those 2, but not as pleasing aesthetically, the Ikea Lack or Besta racks are amazing value for money and IME supporting a WTL Versalex or Amadeus trounce very high mass type racks, especially those made in part from metal or glass.

rob400

P.S I've found that my Versalex sounds best when it's perfect level.

threadkiller

Those are our findings as well, clued- in Rob. :)

Those Ikea racks sure are ugly, however. 
The Box Furniture is very high quality fine furniture in comparison.
I, too, love what Quadraspire does.
Haven't ever played with the Hutter.

Erocka2000

Charlie, are you referring to my rack?  Until I can have a dedicated listening room, my stereo has to share duties with my tv/blu-ray setup.  That said, I need the odd shaped stand because I need to fit my tv because I don't want to mount it in a rental unit.  I still think the rack that I build does a hell of a job and cost me a lot less than had a bought a similar unit from a company.  Sure, I'd love to have a Box Furniture rack, but I don't really have the space or the $3500 it costs, as it'd be tough for me to justify that expense.  I'm not saying it doesn't elevate the sound quality, but I'd much rather spend the money on gear and records.  My system is sounding just fine the way it is. 

threadkiller

No, your rack bad gear look fine.
I was just talking generalities.
Yet you pigeon holed yourself directly into my question...like most of us, even my closest friends and listening panel- slightly defensive, push the ol shield up of money better spent on more records, that sort of thing. We ALL do it.  My point was/is, what if planning your next purchase around another piece of gear, etc, one (I'm not targeting you) instead makes his/her already good system better just by a rack improvement.
I'm not saying spend tons, only something noticeably better....

I'll give a for instance.... A system based on a Naim Nait will sound infinitely more musical on a Quadraspire at $175 a shelf than any Salamandar or Solid Steel. Period.  I always equate what most hobbyists do as buying a fancy sports car and then buying tires for it at Walmart.  And I once was equally guilty, so no slings, arrows, or crossbows if you please....

threadkiller

Oops! Major typo above... Should be rack AND gear are fine... Me autocorrect be bad... :duh:

SteevA

I didn't.  I did a couple of small experiments followed by about 4 months of research followed by another 3 months more of experimenting and designing on a solid model CAD system.

Then I built my rack and it turned out even better that the best I had achieved with my experiments.   I was well pleased.

Steve

threadkiller

That's great you can do that, Steve, like Rob. I can finish wood fine, redid my entire 1910 house. Yet I'm no Norm Abrams...
So you compared it to your prior experiments... Did you ever compare it to any commercial products ?

rob400

If memory serves me correctly SteevA's rack was of the glass shelved variety. Is it still the same? I liked my Naim 252/300/ CDS3 on a Fraim but my Versalex hated it. I can appreciate that you use a similar CD/amp and that its not easy to mix and match from a space or aesthetic perspective. However I've yet to find anyone who has tried a Quadraspire/Hutter/Ikea/Box Furniture to plant their WTL on find it inferior to anything constructed from metal/glass. With my L300/HX100 it's also a complete no brainer. Same with Line Magnetic by all accounts. With all the due respect to you metal/glass rack guys and appreciation that it's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2014, 10:43 am by rob400 »

SteevA

That's great you can do that, Steve, like Rob. I can finish wood fine, redid my entire 1910 house. Yet I'm no Norm Abrams...
So you compared it to your prior experiments... Did you ever compare it to any commercial products ?
The system was already on a Soundstyle Tripod rack when I started experimenting.  Parts of that rack now serve as pot plant stands, a job I now consider they do better than being audio racks. 

My system expanded and I discovered that I could no longer get the Tripods.  I looked at Fraims and thought words to the effect of, 'for that price I think I need to see what I can do myself', and so the experiments started.

The first experiment involved my old Sansui CDP and some bungee cords and them some roller bearing isolators I got 2nd hand.  The results were so significant, plus big grin inducing, that I set about studying vibration isolating and dampening in some detail.  The final rack design incorporates 7 different materials, each with a different resonant frequency.

The rack does not have any glass.  It used to have a single glass shelf on top for the turntable but since getting the Versalex that has been replaced by a MDF/rubber/MDF/rubber/MDF shelf which has recently found itself sitting on roller bearings (for a modest improvement over without roller bearings).  All the rest of my kit sits on roller bearings with the exception of the 500PSU, which currently resides on a old wooden stool until I get around to moving the Versalex to a wall shelf.

Steve

threadkiller

I guess if it works for you that's great.
One thing I've noticed is that most of us work
/play at this in a vacuum... if we could all easily teleport around in a group things might be different.
As I mentioned once before, I've played with steel balls, Herbies balls and discs, Pierre's Maple boards, all sorts of tweeks under my Amadeus, and my listening panel always shot them down.
I was always so proud of my efforts and thought I was onto something bigger and better, until they came and shot me down, and showed me the error of my ways. That's why now I always question most DIY efforts.
I've also noticed as a group that supports are seen as something we can do as easily as the pros/commercial companies... wonder why most of you don't also assume you can make tables, cartridges, etc....

Erocka2000

Comparing making your own rack to making a turntable or cartridge is like comparing making a bicycle to making a motorcycle.  There is obviously so much more engineering involved with making a mechanical device. Also, if you haven't been to all our apartments/homes, how can you possibly know how our DIY stands sound?  Not trying to start a feud, but why do you feel that the only stands worthy of use are the ones made by companies?

threadkiller

No feud intended... just speculating and questioning.
Also by much experience actually going into others homes and listening.
And listening with people with greater experience. 
I would imagine, from using some of the same materials and knowing their sonic properties, that Rob's rack probably sounds quite good. And also by his comparisons to manufactured racks I'm familiar with.

Not to single anyone out, but remember the thread where someone was insistent they needed two ground wires off their table? Mr P and others I know cited that as absolutely unnecessary and ludicrous.
So if we had all been together, we could have helped the person see the error of their ways...
Of course, there's always personal preferences...