DIY veneer glue easy and safe to use

RAW

« on: 4 Apr 2006, 01:38 am »
http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=738&reviews_id=229

http://www.joewoodworker.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=738

For those who have not see my post before on veneer glue I wanted to bring this in as a thread for those to try this product and get away from contact cement :nono:  :nono:
We have used this product for a few motnhs now and for the DIY this works great.
Just apply with a roller nothing fancy.
Let both the veneer and cabinet dry.
And irong on.
That easy as well the glue is very thick and only 2 coats at the most is needed on the end grain of the MDF.
Easy to use and safe.

And no I do not sell this product just find it great for those who are looking at veneering but not aware of this product.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2006, 04:04 pm by RAW »

Brian Bunge

« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2006, 05:28 am »
Al,

I hadn't heard about this product until you posted about it in my forum.  Seeing this does bring up one small question for me.  Can you tell me, if you happen to know, how this product differs from the wood glue people have been using for years in this exact same manner?  I'm just wondering what advantage, if any, this product has over your standard Titebond or Titebond II.

RAW

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2006, 02:05 pm »
Brian
yellow glue doesnt fully harden even after several years. This softness allows the veneers to "creep" or move on the substrate (caused by seasonal humidity changes) which can lead to edges lifting and occasional bubbles.

Heat Lock has a cross linker in it. After 48 hours, the cross linkers have locked together and the veneer will not creep. So panels that are veneered correctly with Heat Lock veneer glue do not come apart.

Thick consistency helps prevent "bleed through"

justinc2

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2006, 09:29 pm »
I tried this recently instead of titebond II and had a big problem with the seams pulling apart as I ironed it on.  I've never had that problem with titebond, but for some reason the veneer tape just didnt hold this time and it pulled apart a good 2mm at the seams.  It could have been the veneer though, I used a waterfall bubinga that Ive never used before. It was flat pressed but once I applied the glue to it, it sort of bubbled up.  Any ideas or suggestions? thanks

RAW

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2006, 02:21 pm »
No matter which glue you use, heat will always cause veneer to shrink.
The FAQ sheet that comes with Heat Lock says that it shouldn't be used
with veneers requiring seaming.

However, there is a "work-around" for the problem. To solve the
shrinking problem, you can place a straight piece of clothes hanger
wire about 2" away from the seam. Then iron down the seam. Next, pull
the clothes hanger wire out and iron down the bubble that it left
behind. This will force the seam tight.

This technique requires a bit of practice but it does work well.

The sheet also says that Heat Lock doesnt work well with bubinga and
crotch mahogany. These veneers typically have wood cells that are so
densely packed, that splitting is highly likely.

Hope this helps!

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
Re: DIY veneer glue easy and safe to use
« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2007, 06:29 pm »
Al, are you still using and recommending this glue as a veneer adhesive?

RAW

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2007, 06:36 pm »
Hank.Yes for som,e projects this works great.
On larger we have been using a vacuum

Christof

« Reply #7 on: 27 Feb 2007, 09:36 pm »
Al

Do you care to comment on the type of glue you use when bagging your panels? I'm curious if you are using PPR glue?  I too find that PVA's will allow a little creep which, over time, can cause bubbles or a proud/sunken edge in extreme situations.  This does not seem to happen often but a speaker cabinet sitting near a sunny window may show symptoms.  A speaker cabinet veneered with contact cement in a sunny window....watch out :duh:

Just another idea for those who are using the iron on method.  The wood is cracking in part due to a rapid depletion of moisture content.  If you pre-dry the wood first and then iron the veneer this could help a bit.  Maybe a heat gun, hair dryer, oven, etc...

c.