Is it the right time to buy a SP-3 and a 9B SST2?

WillyP

Is it the right time to buy a SP-3 and a 9B SST2?
« on: 26 Apr 2016, 09:08 am »
Hi all,

I am seriously thinking about buying the SP-3 / 9B SST2 combo. I am not so sure what will be the right time, though. A new USB option and / or new HDMI board for the SP-3, a cubed version of the 9B are probably on their way. Of course it is not my intention to wait forever, but what do you think?

Kind regards,

WillyP

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Is it the right time to buy a SP-3 and a 9B SST2?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Apr 2016, 10:26 am »
The SP3 comes with all the new stuff once they release it. I'd probably wait for a few months to see if those things aren't included (if you need/want them).

I've not heard the cubed versions yet, so I can't say.

I HAVE a nearly new 9B-SST2 for sale. If you're interested, please PM me (so as to keep that conversation out of this thread).

WillyP

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2017, 09:17 am »
Hi James,

The SP-3 is famous for it's analogue section, but I wonder if this section is used when a source is digitally (via coax) connected to the SP-3?

Kind regards,

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2017, 10:00 am »
Hi James,

The SP-3 is famous for it's analogue section, but I wonder if this section is used when a source is digitally (via coax) connected to the SP-3?

Kind regards,

Willy

Hi Willy

Yes the analog section is still used as the SP3 is analog out even with a digital input.

james

WillyP

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2017, 12:55 pm »
Thanks James,

Another question if I may. I have two XLR interconnection cables and three RCA cables, all of good quality.

1. Is it a problem to mix and match XLR and RCA cables for the connection of the SP3 to the 9B SST2?

2. I would say that the XLR cables are used for Left/Right amplification and the RCA cables for the Centre/Surround amplification. Is this correct?

3. What would be the recommended gain factors for the five channels?

Thanks again,

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:32 pm »
Thanks James,

Another question if I may. I have two XLR interconnection cables and three RCA cables, all of good quality.

1. Is it a problem to mix and match XLR and RCA cables for the connection of the SP3 to the 9B SST2?

2. I would say that the XLR cables are used for Left/Right amplification and the RCA cables for the Centre/Surround amplification. Is this correct?

3. What would be the recommended gain factors for the five channels?

Thanks again,

Willy

Hi Willy - yes that would work you can mix and match XLR out with RCA.

james

WillyP

« Reply #6 on: 7 Sep 2017, 01:57 pm »
Hi James - thanks for your prompt reply. Could you answer also the other two questions?

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 7 Sep 2017, 04:03 pm »
Hi James - thanks for your prompt reply. Could you answer also the other two questions?

Willy

Yes I agree with the number 2 setup.

All the gains should be the same which are adjustable in the SP-3 menu setup..

james

WillyP

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2017, 04:50 pm »
James - My apologies, I wasn't clear enough in my third question. I meant the gain switches at the rear of the 9BSST 2. What will be the best settings when both XLR and RCA cables are used (because of differences in signal strength)?

Willy

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2017, 04:59 pm »
James - My apologies, I wasn't clear enough in my third question. I meant the gain switches at the rear of the 9BSST 2. What will be the best settings when both XLR and RCA cables are used (because of differences in signal strength)?

Willy

OH - I use the 29dB settings but you can experiment with that depending on how much overall gain you have in the system.

james