Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player

modwright

Re: Sony HAP-Z1ES High Res Player
« Reply #20 on: 26 Mar 2014, 01:27 am »
It is pretty amazing.

I have to admit though, that when I listen to the HAP-Z1ES here, it is NOT exactly stock! 8)

Thanks,

Dan

steve in jersey

« Reply #21 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:35 pm »
It is pretty amazing.

I have to admit though, that when I listen to the HAP-Z1ES here, it is NOT exactly stock! 8)

Thanks,

Dan

I think the feature of this "Digital File Player" that has piqued my interest the most is the "DSD Remastering"
engine. I really don't have any complaints about the DFP that I currently use (Auraliti PK100 >Metrum Hex NOS DAC) . It really makes Redbook digital perform way above any expectation I may have had for it. I did'nt
particularly care for Hi Rez PCM downloads, it seemed that there was a characteristic upper frequency response I just could'nt get beyond. I did'nt have the Hex DAC that long when I gave up on Hi Rez downloads.
In the meantime this DAC has continued to "bloom". I still prefer the response of DSD. Supposedly my DFP
will play DSD , but the Hex will not ((& the Hex wiped the floor of my stock Oppo 95 playing the CD rips of the
same SACDs  played back through the Oppo; the Oppo is now my dedicated Blu Ray player)

So ,now with this Sony player I will have the ability to listen to my rips (which I honestly feel are very "respectable" to "exceptional" dependent on the source material) in a "closer" to DSD representation.
What's not to like about that. I listen to acoustic music of one type or another almost exclusively. PCM
has come a long way,but it still needs a "re-design" to do some things better. DSD is a better fit for
longtime Analog listeners.

So it looks like my Metrum Hex (& a few other items) will be going. I think PCM needs a NOS DAC to sound it's
best. There may be other factors at work though at getting closer to the sound of analog (which DSD does better). I really don't "kowtow" to "native" rate PCM files regardless of any rate. Some rates give some improvements, but as David Robinson says "It's still PCM"

modwright

« Reply #22 on: 26 Mar 2014, 04:53 pm »
When I listen and toggle the DSD engine on and off, unlike PCM 'upsampling' that I have heard in the past (I am not a fan!), there is no 'fake' HF emphasis.  Rather, if anything, there is a fuller body or richness, combined with a broader soundstage.  There is simply MORE information there!

Dan W.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #23 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:16 pm »
Not sure if this has been mentioned:

The lower priced unit does the same DSD upgrading just without balanced connections for $1000 less. Could the lower priced unit include bal connections with tube end mod and same money or improve?

modwright

« Reply #24 on: 26 Mar 2014, 05:57 pm »
Interesting.  Are you sure that the lesser cost unit is really the same throughout, except for XLR connectors?  Adding balanced connectors is not a problem, but what about the DACs, internal supply and other differences?

Thanks,

Dan

seadogs1

« Reply #25 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:16 pm »
Go to this page to see differences: http://store.sony.com/hi-res-audio/cat-27-catid-All-Res-Audio. As you can see there are a few.

OzarkTom

« Reply #27 on: 26 Mar 2014, 06:36 pm »
With the amp section in it, you might not have as much room for mods.

harri009

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:19 pm »
Pretty pos the s1 does not do the DSD up sampling thing.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #29 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:32 pm »
Hey pardon my misinformation!!!!

The information I was looking at last night was not correct or maybe it was not current. Oh I remember now it was review from Audioholics ( I think), the statement was made after pointing out about not having balance was this was probably the first time person would payless for just as good features ( or something like that). Anyway sorry for confusion.

firedog

« Reply #30 on: 26 Mar 2014, 07:32 pm »
The s1 is not at all the same unit. Much larger HW feature set for much less money, and the construction and parts are clearly not intended to give high end sound like the z1.

steve in jersey

« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2014, 09:08 pm »
I think some people may be confusing the Digital Sound enhancement engine (DSEE) with the DSD Remastering engine.

2 totally different processes. The DSEE was designed to add some "noise shaping" to compressed music files
to help them sound a bit fuller. The word "enhancement" should tip you off to this. If this is left on for uncompressed lossless file processing it will probably make the upper frequencies sound a little "grainy", ideally Sony should  have implemented an automatic turn off switch for the DSEE when it attempts to process an uncompressed lossless file.

I'm curious now, does Sony make any references to the differences of these engines in their help guides
any. If Sony has any weaknesses regarding these players it might be they are too busy listing all the
features more prominently than making sure users are more aware of the importance of the various setup
& operating information. If you have been setting up equipment for any amt. of time, you can just
"Wing it" & set it up. There is no way that modus operandi is going to work here. Sony does'nt want to
scare people away by stressing the importance of their setup procedures.

"What, there are special steps I gotta follow." Sony's more interested in selling as much as they can, than with
how much is returned. Great product,lousy Company philosophy. I just have to get one before they dumb it down for the next generation of players

modwright

« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2014, 09:36 pm »
I have only really experimented with the DSD engine feature.  I have the DSEE function set to Auto right now I believe.  I will turn it off and re-evaluate.

I agree, the FIRST of a new generation of Tech from Sony is GREAT.  After that, subsequent models CAN be cheapened.  THAT is why THIS is such a great machine!

Dan W.

OzarkTom

« Reply #33 on: 27 Mar 2014, 12:02 am »
The lower priced one weighs 12.5 pounds with a cooling fan and the Z1 weighs 31 pounds with no fan. Also the cheaper one is 3.5 inches tall amd about 10.5 inches wide. That is quite a bit difference compared to the Z1.

modwright

« Reply #34 on: 29 Mar 2014, 07:08 pm »
We will only be focusing on the HAP-Z1ES for now.

I currently have a unit running in our showroom with full tube analog stage: Lundahl transformer coupled in and out (similar analog circuitry to that developed for ELYSE DAC), external supply (still deciding on supply type).  Digital/DAC supplies all have upgraded capacitors.

Stock analog stage and ALL op-amps are replaced with our choke/transformer inductive-coupled design, featuring a new passive I-V stage and fully balanced circuitry.  XLR and RCA outs both feed tube stage.

Results:

Fast, clean, organic, extended, RESOLVING and musical sound.  Visceral bass and extended highs with clean and sweet midrange.  Dead quiet noise floor and exceptionally low output impedance.

I am excited about this product as a solution to Ultra High End computer music playback, including DSD level playback for ALL recordings, thanks to the DSD engine which converts even 16/44.1 music to DSD resolution.

Design being finalized in the next week.  I have been quietly working on this since last Nov.

Tube complement: (2) 6922 driver. (1) 5AR4, 5U4GB, 5V4GB, 5R4GYS and equivalents for rectifier.  I do not expect to use tube regulation in this design.

This design, as well as the ELYSE DAC and PH 150 Ref. Phono all share in common, a new design direction that I have been exploring for some time, making extensive use of transformers and inductive coupling.  All circuits are ENTIRELY tube based, with the exception of SS voltage regulation.  They all also include use of the 6922 tube that I have found ideal for use in these circuits.

Please contact us if you are interested in having a HAP-Z1ES modified or have questions.

Thanks,

Dan Wright
President, ModWright Instruments

noiseless

« Reply #35 on: 29 Mar 2014, 07:50 pm »
Dan, thanks for the info!
Any photos, more technical details (eventually) and modification prices will be much appreciated too.
I personally might be interested in custom volume pot installed in the player to drive directly two pairs of mono blocks in bi-amp mode, if possible?
Thank you!
Ivo

modwright

« Reply #36 on: 30 Mar 2014, 06:38 pm »
Pricing is as follows:

Full tube mod as described with external supply and 'Truth' umbilical = $2995.

Intro pricing = $2495 through end of April!

Photos to follow!

I am still evaluating Bybee Rails and Audio Magic Pulse Gen to determine their benefit to this mod.

A volume control COULD be installed.  I would expect that most would want remote control as well.  I would not want to machine the face of the player, so I would expect the VC to mount from the rear of the player. This would make it difficult to tell what the volume level IS if using RC of course.  Input from those interested in this option welcome!

Thanks and i look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Dan w.

Randy

« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2014, 07:05 pm »
Pleading ignorance here. so please bear with me. How do you get your CD collection playing through this device?  Can I assume you have to download them one by one to your computer and go from there? 

modwright

« Reply #38 on: 30 Mar 2014, 09:35 pm »
You do need to rip CD's to a computer HD, that is correct. The Sony wil accept Ethernet or WiFi to download music from your computer. You can also connect an external HD to the Sony via USB. You can also purchase hi-Rez and DSD downloads online.

The Sony will also play Internet radio and can be easily controlled by iOS or Android based phone or tablet app.  The app is very well done IMHO.

Thanks,

Dan

smargo

« Reply #39 on: 30 Mar 2014, 09:36 pm »
Pleading ignorance here. so please bear with me. How do you get your CD collection playing through this device?  Can I assume you have to download them one by one to your computer and go from there?

yes you have to download them one by one - you have to get them on the sony - so cd's must be be downloaded and ripped to your computer - or you have downloaded already ripped files to an external drive.