BDA-3 DAC

scirica

Re: BDA-3 DAC
« Reply #140 on: 9 Jan 2016, 08:21 pm »
Yep. Very familiar with my Oppo and tried everything I know. Gary will be contacting me with the answer soon!

Quick update: We determined that the HDMI ribbon cable was loose. Reseated that connector and now I can lock on the HDMI signal from the Oppo. Only one small problem: no sound! I'm sure Gary will continue to help as his schedule permits. Updates when that happens.

patrickm

« Reply #141 on: 10 Jan 2016, 12:52 am »
Quick update: We determined that the HDMI ribbon cable was loose. Reseated that connector and now I can lock on the HDMI signal from the Oppo. Only one small problem: no sound! I'm sure Gary will continue to help as his schedule permits. Updates when that happens.

I don't know if this is connected or not but I am having a similar situation after playing DSD over USB, then switching to PCM over a S/PDIF connection.  It locks on the signal but there is no sound.  I sent in a note to the Bryston tech folks, awaiting a reply.  If I cycle the BDA-3 off/on all is well on the S/PDIF connection.

scirica

« Reply #142 on: 10 Jan 2016, 01:15 am »
I don't know if this is connected or not but I am having a similar situation after playing DSD over USB, then switching to PCM over a S/PDIF connection.  It locks on the signal but there is no sound.  I sent in a note to the Bryston tech folks, awaiting a reply.  If I cycle the BDA-3 off/on all is well on the S/PDIF connection.

OMG! I just power-cycled and now I have DSD via HDMI! There obviously is a bug that needs to be worked out, but this is great! Thanks for posting.

zoom25

« Reply #143 on: 10 Jan 2016, 02:08 am »
Anyone compare the BDA-3 or BDA-2 to Schiit Yggdrasil?

scirica

« Reply #144 on: 10 Jan 2016, 02:34 pm »
For anyone experiencing the "pops" when switching between PCM and DSD files, there is a firmware upgrade available that resolved this issue. It's u2015.12a. I got mine directly from Bryston but I believe it is the same update available via the BDA-3 web GUI.

So far the great Bryston sound coupled with the versatility makes this a true winner. Now to see if there are any break-in changes.

patrickm

« Reply #145 on: 10 Jan 2016, 08:07 pm »
For anyone experiencing the "pops" when switching between PCM and DSD files, there is a firmware upgrade available that resolved this issue. It's u2015.12a. I got mine directly from Bryston but I believe it is the same update available via the BDA-3 web GUI.

Hmmm... this update should also fix the issue I'm having with the "no sound when switching inputs" problem.  Can you check to see that your update completed properly?  When I head back into the web gui after downloading the .bin file and uploading it [the lights flash as expected], my firmware is still stuck at:
Version:           u2015.11i  (index.htm-006)
Build Date:       Nov 20 2015 10:58:05

scirica

« Reply #146 on: 11 Jan 2016, 04:42 am »
Hmmm... this update should also fix the issue I'm having with the "no sound when switching inputs" problem.  Can you check to see that your update completed properly?  When I head back into the web gui after downloading the .bin file and uploading it [the lights flash as expected], my firmware is still stuck at:
Version:           u2015.11i  (index.htm-006)
Build Date:       Nov 20 2015 10:58:05

Mine updated correctly, however when i used the file in the GUI i stayed at the same release. The one i got directly from Gary worked.

Version:       u2015.12a  (index.htm-008)
Build Date:       Dec 30 2015 11:39:12
Category & DevID:       30
IP addr:       192.168.1.15
Options:          User: checked
T:       37.6 C

Bones13

« Reply #147 on: 11 Jan 2016, 03:28 pm »
I have read conflicting information as to the AKM chips used.

AKM 4399 or AKM 4490? If the newer chip is being used, is the "velvet filter" part of the picture? (AKM Literature)

Excited to hear impressions about this DAC. I am listening to R2R dac now (DIY AudioNoteKits 4.1), and have been DAC shopping lately.

The BDA-3 is in the price range, has stellar connectivity (I am hoping to upsample my library to DSD via HQPlayer from Roon, and stream the DSD straight to the DAC), I also greatly appreciate the HDMI portion. I have my system with a DVD player, Cable box, and both the audio computer and my Desk computer that could connect through the BDA-3 to my TV. Perhaps even with better voice sync when watching bluray and DVD.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #148 on: 11 Jan 2016, 03:35 pm »

AKM 4399 or AKM 4490? If the newer chip is being used, is the "velvet filter" part of the picture? (AKM Literature)

Excited to hear impressions about this DAC. I am listening to R2R dac now (DIY AudioNoteKits 4.1), and have been DAC shopping lately.

The BDA-3 is in the price range, has stellar connectivity (I am hoping to upsample my library to DSD via HQPlayer from Roon, and stream the DSD straight to the DAC), I also greatly appreciate the HDMI portion. I have my system with a DVD player, Cable box, and both the audio computer and my Desk computer that could connect through the BDA-3 to my TV. Perhaps even with better voice sync when watching bluray and DVD.

Hi

It is the 4490.

james

patrickm

« Reply #149 on: 11 Jan 2016, 05:12 pm »
Mine updated correctly, however when i used the file in the GUI i stayed at the same release. The one i got directly from Gary worked.

Version:       u2015.12a  (index.htm-008)
Build Date:       Dec 30 2015 11:39:12
Category & DevID:       30
IP addr:       192.168.1.15
Options:          User: checked
T:       37.6 C

Thanks.  I updated my BDA-3 using the .bin file you sent, all is good.  I did notice that when upgrading to this .bin file, the amber light stayed on for around 20 seconds before cycling.  With the one on the support page, it's instant.  Something for someone at Bryston to look at ;)

patrickm

« Reply #150 on: 11 Jan 2016, 05:17 pm »
Thanks.  I updated my BDA-3 using the .bin file you sent, all is good.  I did notice that when upgrading to this .bin file, the amber light stayed on for around 20 seconds before cycling.  With the one on the support page, it's instant.  Something for someone at Bryston to look at ;)

And I should also mention that the "no sound when changing inputs" has been rectified and the Pops when moving to/from DSD/PCM are no longer a concern.

scirica

« Reply #151 on: 11 Jan 2016, 06:02 pm »
And I should also mention that the "no sound when changing inputs" has been rectified and the Pops when moving to/from DSD/PCM are no longer a concern.

Definitely a better firmware version from Bryston. I only have one outstanding issue that I'm aware of, but I'm going to make sure that's not a Roonserver issue before I pursue. 

Iuliucra

« Reply #152 on: 11 Jan 2016, 06:08 pm »
What is break-in time for the BDA 3?

mav52

« Reply #153 on: 12 Jan 2016, 12:20 am »

I'm interested in knowing if the 5 filters that are in the AKM 4490 are user accessible in the BCD-3. 

From the AKM4390 spec."

"Five digital filters are integrated into the AK4490: a short delay, sharp roll-off filter and a short delay, slow roll-off filter for minimum delay, a sharp roll-off filter and a slow roll-off filter for no phase shifting, and newly integrated super slow roll-off filter with emphasized characteristics provide a wide range of choice in digital filters. " http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20140501AK4490_001/?link_id=link109

if so talk about flexible

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #154 on: 12 Jan 2016, 12:43 am »
I'm interested in knowing if the 5 filters that are in the AKM 4490 are user accessible in the BCD-3. 

From the AKM4390 spec."

"Five digital filters are integrated into the AK4490: a short delay, sharp roll-off filter and a short delay, slow roll-off filter for minimum delay, a sharp roll-off filter and a slow roll-off filter for no phase shifting, and newly integrated super slow roll-off filter with emphasized characteristics provide a wide range of choice in digital filters. " http://www.akm.com/akm/en/aboutus/news/20140501AK4490_001/?link_id=link109

if so talk about flexible

Not currently but in the future we will have a GUI to allow it.

james

audio.bill

« Reply #155 on: 12 Jan 2016, 01:21 am »
James, can you share which of those digital filters is currently being used in the BDA-3? TIA

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #156 on: 12 Jan 2016, 01:26 am »
James, can you share which of those digital filters is currently being used in the BDA-3? TIA

Sorry no - I do not want any bias - I choose the one I thought sounded best so its my secret for now.  :wink:

james

audio.bill

« Reply #157 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:13 am »
Bryston proprietary information, it's classified. I understand and thanks for the prompt response!

Iuliucra

« Reply #158 on: 12 Jan 2016, 02:38 am »
James,
Can you talk about what setting I should use on JRiver /Mac  with the BDA 3 in Oder to successfully play DSD files? I'm having a problem.
Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #159 on: 12 Jan 2016, 04:09 am »
James,
Can you talk about what setting I should use on JRiver /Mac  with the BDA 3 in Oder to successfully play DSD files? I'm having a problem.
Thanks

Hi

I have not used jriver with a MAC just Windows  and and my BDP so will have to look into that.

james