Fritz BE Speakers

GregC

Fritz BE Speakers
« on: 25 Aug 2018, 11:44 pm »
I have owned my Fritz Carrera BE speakers for a while so I thought I would share my opinions to others who may be considering a speaker purchase.  First off, I have to say that Fritz is one of the nicest and most humble guys I have met in the audio manufacturer world.  Even if his speakers were not as superb as they are, you would feel good about supporting Fritz because he is one of the "good" guys.

I became aware of the Fritz speakers after reading a review on 10 Audio.  Knowing Jerry and how his audio preferences often align with mine, I decided to contact Fritz about purchasing a pair of his Carrera BE speakers.  The Fritz speakers were replacing open baffle speakers I had in my system for several years, so going to a monitor speaker concerned me since that was a big shift from the "open baffle" sound to which I had become accustomed.

I got the Fritz Carrera BE speakers in striped ebony finish.  When I unpacked the speakers I was impressed by the solid cabinets and the simple elegance.  The speakers weigh a lot for their size, so I assume that is because of the internal bracing and construction.  The veneer is furniture grade finish and blended in well with my cherry and rosewood components elsewhere in my system.

I have had the speakers for more than a year now so I am past the honeymoon period and plan to hang on to them for a long time.  The speakers are balanced from top to bottom, and go respectably low given their size.  I would estimate the cutoff around 40 Hz with the rear porting.  You could listen to them without a subwoofer for the majority of music, but I chose to run them with a pair of Sumiko S.9 subs that fill in the lowest registers. 

How would I describe their sound?  In a few words: musical, balanced, tonally correct, and truthful.  They retain the qualities of sounding live like open baffle speakers, yet have the imaging that is strength of monitor speakers.

I love how the Fritz speakers sound and would recommend them to anyone who is in the market for a well-made and excellent sounding pair of monitor speakers that are well priced for the quality they offer.  I am not affiliated with Fritz speakers, just an admirer of his work.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Fritz BE Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2018, 07:10 am »
Greg,

Thank you for your impressions on the Carrera BE speakers. I keep reading great write ups regarding these speakers yet I have not yet been able to listen to them. I've got the LS/5-R speakers in Taiwan and they sound great, but I've caught myself thinking more than once about trading them in for an upgrade to his Carreras. The logistics are what keep holding me back.  :(

Michael

R_burke

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2018, 01:06 pm »
I've heard Fritz speakers at shows and have always been impressed.  My concern is whether or not they would work with relatively low power tube amps.  What are you using to power yours?  Also what size room do you have them set up in?

GregC

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2018, 04:24 pm »
I have the speakers setup in a 13x21 living /dining room combo, but my listening area is the front 11 feet of the room so the speakers are 9.5 ft apart and my listening position about 9.5 feet away.  The room has vaulted ceilings and is open on one side so it is less than ideal.   I am using Golden Cherry mono amps with linear power supplies from Digital Amp Company to drive the speakers. 

My understanding when I bought the speakers is they use Series crossovers that are easy to drive, and many people who bought them had lower power tube amps since they were supposed to be a good match for the speakers.  In my case I wondered how they would work with a digital high powered amp, and they work wonderfully in my setup with higher power amps. 

R_burke

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2018, 07:26 pm »
Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2018, 07:31 pm »
I too am an OB guy, so I’ll never go back to a box speaker if I don’t have to.  However, if I DID have to, Fritz speakers would be at the top of my list - they are that good :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2018, 10:18 pm »
I've heard Fritz speakers at shows and have always been impressed.  My concern is whether or not they would work with relatively low power tube amps.  What are you using to power yours?  Also what size room do you have them set up in?

Have no concern. I drive them with an Audio Hungary A20i integrated [20W/ch] Class "A" amp with zero issues. Room size is 16'x 22'. No sub required. Fritz the owner/designer is a great guy to boot. He loves to chat.
   If in NY come over for a listen. Imbibe and listen oh my!

charles

GregC

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2018, 10:43 pm »
I too am an OB guy, so I’ll never go back to a box speaker if I don’t have to.  However, if I DID have to, Fritz speakers would be at the top of my list - they are that good :thumb:

My OB speakers I had for several years were too big for my room, and if I wanted new speakers then all the offerings at the time would not physically fit in my room.  I am glad I tried the Fritz speakers, they had a similar live sense like OB speakers but the better imaging you get from monitors.

R_burke

« Reply #8 on: 27 Aug 2018, 01:28 pm »
   Have no concern. I drive them with an Audio Hungary A20i integrated [20W/ch] Class "A" amp with zero issues. Room size is 16'x 22'. No sub required. Fritz the owner/designer is a great guy to boot. He loves to chat.
   If in NY come over for a listen. Imbibe and listen oh my!

charles

Thanks for the info and the offer.  I'm in CA so a listening session is unlikely 8)

walkern

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2018, 02:34 pm »
Fritz lives in CA, and travels quite a bit around the state.  I bought an integrated amp from him that he used as a 'back up' at demos and shows.  He was traveling at the time (in my neck of the woods) and said he would have dropped it off at my house if he'd had it with him.  Nice guy, and great service!

So drop him an e-mail, let him know where you live, and if he's in your area maybe he could arrange a demo for you?

Neil

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2018, 02:59 pm »
My OB speakers I had for several years were too big for my room, and if I wanted new speakers then all the offerings at the time would not physically fit in my room.  I am glad I tried the Fritz speakers, they had a similar live sense like OB speakers but the better imaging you get from monitors.

Yes do do throw a huge sound stage. Depth especially. Very easy to work with in placement. No fancy stands required. Pangea works just fine.

charles

rockn

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2018, 03:09 pm »
Hi,

I was lucky enough to get a nice pair of Carbon 7 SE recently and couldn't be happier. This was after reading many glowing reviews. Best monitor I have had so far, and I have had many. Maybe I will try the BE's one day...

Bob