xsb7244

SteveRB

Re: Lloyd Walkers latest crystal tweak
« Reply #21 on: 1 Apr 2015, 10:10 pm »

BobM

« Reply #22 on: 2 Apr 2015, 04:56 pm »
Bob,

Is your cartridge metal bodied? I've found that metal bodied carts require far more emf reactive crystals than non-metallic bodied carts. On the 3 non shielded carts I've done this with, Miyajiima Mandake, Dynavector DVT Xv-1t and Cardas Ruby Heart, the maximum amount of crystals (which are less reactive than your quartz family ones) have been 40 milligrams. The results have been anything but subtle, more like getting smacked upside the head with a 2 x 4, but in a good way....

FWIW,
Paul

This is very interesting Paul. I will have to put another crystal on each side of the Kleos (which is metal bodied) and see what additional improvements are to be had.

BTW - these are just stuck on using Moretite, no glue.

thanks,
Bob

jschwenker

« Reply #23 on: 2 Apr 2015, 06:13 pm »
I don't want to discount possible EFI/RMI, electrical, etc. interactions of certain types of nearby materials, maybe especially more possible with some cartridges than others.

However, with the size of the applied crystals here, there is a very significant increase in arm/cart effective mass that is being introduced.  In today's average case, that CAN be a pretty good thing.

Many tonearms are designed on the light side, such that they might work acceptably well with cartridges that have a variety of compliance ratings and masses.  Chances are good that many out of the box cart/arm combos result in mass-spring natural frequency responses in the region of maybe 20-30 Hz.  That will result in a turntable that tracks well and will produce acceptable levels bass reproduction for speaker systems that may start rolling off in a typical 40-30 Hz or so region.

More accurate recovery of lower bass, clarity and stability of image, etc., etc. will all be improved significantly if the tonearm/cart effective mass and cartridge compliance can be more carefully matched to bring that natural frequency more toward the classic recommendation of approx 9-12 Hz.  (as low as possible without introducing record warp tracking problems)

I suggest investigating the numbers for your arm/cart to see what the natural frequency might be.  Chances are that adding a little mass could be just the direction you might want to go.  Of course, experimenting until you get close to having tracking problems is also allowed.  ;-)  Happy A-B-ing!!

Cheers,  John

P.S.  The primary effect of the "Longhorn" is the same.  A mass of any shape, carried by both the horizontal  and vertical motion direction bearings, adds to the effective mass in both directions.  There is a chance that the longhorn adds some rotational inertia, as in twisting about the tonearm tube axis, but in most cases your tonearm is probably significantly less flexible than would be helped by that.

P.P.S.  If you'd like to see an example of what it does take to make substantial changes to the horizontal direction effective mass (including calculations leading to the mods and measured results after) scan for my posts in the pages of:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=122657.msg1294383#msg1294383

simoon

« Reply #24 on: 2 Apr 2015, 11:43 pm »
I don't want to discount possible EFI/RMI, electrical, etc. interactions of certain types of nearby materials, maybe especially more possible with some cartridges than others.

However, with the size of the applied crystals here, there is a very significant increase in arm/cart effective mass that is being introduced.  In today's average case, that CAN be a pretty good thing.

Many tonearms are designed on the light side, such that they might work acceptably well with cartridges that have a variety of compliance ratings and masses.  Chances are good that many out of the box cart/arm combos result in mass-spring natural frequency responses in the region of maybe 20-30 Hz.  That will result in a turntable that tracks well and will produce acceptable levels bass reproduction for speaker systems that may start rolling off in a typical 40-30 Hz or so region.

More accurate recovery of lower bass, clarity and stability of image, etc., etc. will all be improved significantly if the tonearm/cart effective mass and cartridge compliance can be more carefully matched to bring that natural frequency more toward the classic recommendation of approx 9-12 Hz.  (as low as possible without introducing record warp tracking problems)

I suggest investigating the numbers for your arm/cart to see what the natural frequency might be.  Chances are that adding a little mass could be just the direction you might want to go.  Of course, experimenting until you get close to having tracking problems is also allowed.  ;-)  Happy A-B-ing!!

Cheers,  John

First thing I thought of when I read this thread.

No need to invoke some unknown electrical effect accounting for changes/improvements until known effects of changes in effective mass are eliminated.

Occam's Razor, and all that...

In any case, the important thing is that, whatever the cause, there does seem to be an improvement.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #25 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:56 am »
Fellas, I would love to try a non-commercial alternative.  Can you recommend something I can do on my own?  I'm serious . . no jive.  LW shouldn't mind terribly given my income level. 

jschwenker

« Reply #26 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:20 pm »
Fellas, I would love to try a non-commercial alternative.  Can you recommend something I can do on my own?  I'm serious . . no jive.  LW shouldn't mind terribly given my income level. 

You could start your experimentation for mere pennies, quite seriously.  At roughly 2.7 grams per coin, they make a pretty convenient small increment of added effective mass.  Try adding a couple of them to the top surface of your headshell with small pieces of double sided or folded over tape to stabilize them.  Re-balance the arm to your normal VTF, pull out a slightly warped old record to check for adequate tracking, then move on to a more serious audio test record you know and love.

When/if you decide to try crystals or longhorns, etc. you'll have the capability of correctly A-B testing "apples to apples" in terms of the weight you are adding.  (a good postal scale or even your stylus force gauge can assist in making comparisons)

Yours,  John

P.S.  Thanks to simoon.  Old Occam's shaving equipment came to my mind too...  :)

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #27 on: 3 Apr 2015, 02:38 pm »
   The Walker Black Diamond Crystals are to be mounted on the head shell [ first choice and cart as second choice. The Synergystic PHT are different but similar in affect. PHT for resonance control and Walker for EMI/RFI
   A comparison of both would be interesting.

charles