« on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:46 am »
Now I can got all those DACs in the same price range
PS Audio DL3 with Cullen Mod IV
Neko Audio D100 MKII
Sonore ExD DSD DAC
Ultra Fi DAC 41
PS Audio Nuwave DAC
Wyred4Sound DAC1
Want to hear comparisons and suggestions.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Seeking Advice for DAC Selections
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:03 pm »
You need to get one or more of these inhouse and listen for yourself.  They are VERY dependent on the rest of your system, as well as your listening preferences.  What is your budget?  What kind of music do you listen to?  What is your system and room like? 

Me?  if you want a one word answer?  Sonore!  USB only, though.  It might also be the one here that does both PCM and DSD, and is a killer in its price category.  I wrote about it a couple years ago here.  Neitral to slightly warm.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2015, 12:57 am »
I would consider this Chord DAC.  It is basically a Hugo Chord without the headphone amp and it is in your price range.  The Hugo's have a slightly warmer sound and are very musical and romantic sounding.  I much preferred the Hugo Chord to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse with the femto clock upgrade which is a $2500 DAC.

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=97

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2015, 02:15 am »
I would consider this Chord DAC.  It is basically a Hugo Chord without the headphone amp and it is in your price range.  The Hugo's have a slightly warmer sound and are very musical and romantic sounding.  I much preferred the Hugo Chord to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse with the femto clock upgrade which is a $2500 DAC.

http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=97

It's not out yet, and is more than his list (about $1800).  I will get one of the first for review.  I would sell him my Qute EX though.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 25 Mar 2015, 02:21 am »
It's not out yet, and is more than his list (about $1800).  I will get one of the first for review.  I would sell him my Qute EX though.

I thought it was going to sell for about $1500.  I thought that it's list price is about 1000 pounds which is about $1500.  I would love to have one but I want a DAC with XLR as my system is fully balanced.  I love the sound of the Chord.

I would consider going the used route. 

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:40 am »
Yes, my Chord Hugo is amazing.

abernardi

« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2015, 03:48 am »
I have an Ultra Fi 41 and have mixed feelings about this dac.  It is really excellent at bringing out the natural timbre of an instrument and lots of detail, it can really make you feel like you're there.  Very musical and organic.  The drawback is that it lacks a little drive.  I'm not sure how to describe it, but my toes don't get tapping with this dac.  However, some swear by it, so I would not dismiss it as a contender.
I heard the Wyred4Sound dac at a show and it was very flat and dry to my ear.  I've read that the DL3 even with the Cullen mod is a little long in the tooth.  I've heard great things about the Neko and the Sonore.  Hope this helps

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2015, 10:46 am »
Any love for these DAC/pre-amp/headphone amps?:

Hegel HD12, minimalistic compact design, goes 24/192 PCM and 64 DSD (native), reportedly very musical with great tone, imaging, & dynamics, uses AK AKM4399 chip for $1400 USD.

NuPrime DAC-10H is a sleek pure digital design, goes to 24/384 PCM and 256 DSD (native), two single ended analog inputs, reported very silent/dynamic, offers single ended and balanced headphone jacks for $1800.

Oppo HA-1 is fully balanced analog design, goes to 24/384 PCM and 256 DSD, has single ended and balanced analog inputs/outputs, and adds a class A headphone amp (single ended and XLR) for $1200 USD.

Just add active speakers or power amp/passive speakers with source(s) and you're good to go desktop or in-room.

Ric Schultz

« Reply #8 on: 27 Mar 2015, 02:40 am »
Schiit Yggdrasil coming soon!  I would not buy anything till this is properly evaluated.  This one might? be killer!......proto listening tests are giving people boners.....no DSD though.

bmoura

« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2015, 07:58 am »
Now I can got all those DACs in the same price range

Want to hear comparisons and suggestions.

If you're looking in the $2K price range, don't forget the Lampizator Amber DAC.  A nice deal at $1,995.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129350.0

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2015, 09:45 am »
Save your money and get a Schiit Gungnir and a nice usb cord to go with it. If you can live without volume control. Very simple to set up. Very well built and upgradable.

If you need volume control, go with the Wyred4sound DAC 2. A little more complicated to set up, still upgradable. Very well built.

I have both, both a very nice. And you got to pay a lot more money to get a little better sounding dac. IMHO.

V....

lancelock

« Reply #11 on: 28 Mar 2015, 08:50 pm »
I have ordered a Decware modified pro-audio ADDA from Tascam supports standard and hi-resolution formats including PCM 16/24 BIT 44kHz ~192kHz, DSD and double DSD 5.6MHz. I will be using it as a DAC mostly but will be able to easily rip my vinyl. I have not heard it yet but hear crazy good stuff about it. I will be able to report in a couple of weeks.

ddafoe

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2015, 10:09 pm »
Used Bryston BDA-1 DACs can be had in the $900 range.   For $900 that is a very solid built and excellent sounding DAC (other than the USB interface).
I just sold mine on Audiogon and upgraded to the BDA-2 to get the better USB implementation.  The BDA-2 used is also a very competitive DAC for the money (no DSD though...). 

Cheers

rodge827

« Reply #13 on: 17 Apr 2015, 11:09 pm »
I have ordered a Decware modified pro-audio ADDA from Tascam supports standard and hi-resolution formats including PCM 16/24 BIT 44kHz ~192kHz, DSD and double DSD 5.6MHz. I will be using it as a DAC mostly but will be able to easily rip my vinyl. I have not heard it yet but hear crazy good stuff about it. I will be able to report in a couple of weeks.

Very interested in your comments, looks like an awesome way to do digital.