When does the break-in period end?

Mike D

« on: 4 Apr 2004, 01:32 pm »
My Rogue M150s are running beautifully.  They are already exceding my wildest dreams of how they would sound.  From past conversations I have gathered that the break in period is anywhere from 100 to 200 hours.  Can anyone give me an idea of when this audio ride will end?  Its great, but if my jaw drops any lower, I'll have to see a doctor.

mike

sturgus

« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2004, 05:26 pm »
Mike, are those new tubes in there also? I have noticed that when I used KT88's it took about 200 hrs for things to settle in. KT90's took a lot longer about 500+ hours. I am glad you are enjoying the ride. When you upgraded the amps what did they do to them? I was talking to Steve and he wanted to have a shoot out with the higher power tube amps. Would you be intrested?
Sturgus

Mathew_M

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2004, 07:22 pm »
I don't know about tube amps but the new digital amps take forever to fully break in.  My little Panny XR25 now finally sounds smooth enough for extended listening.  This is six weeks later with the thing on 24/7.

I don't think Scott's Radii amps were broken in enough and didn't get a fair hearing.  Maybe Scott could chime in here and let us know how they are sounding compared to the last get together.

I know Steve has the VTL 125 watt monoblocks.  I want to hear those especially the triode mode.  I'm tempted by a Jolida 100 watt EL34 amp.  I've read mixed things about Jolida amps though.  Scott is supposed to get one sometime for review.

Another interesting pair of amps that I want to hear are those AES Six Packs.  EL34 monoblocks running at 50 watts in triode.  Supposedly sound as good as the Cary V-12R.  Here's some pictures and numbers:
http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/productsN.htm

At $2400 a pair new they're not a bad deal (relatively speaking).  However once they start hitting Agon for $1500 they should be an absolute steal.  All things considered if you like how they sound....

Whoops didn't mean to hijack the thread.  But yes I agree with Sturgus, a big tube amp showdown needs to be put together.  After of course all the amps are fully broken in :wink:

Hey Sturgus, how do you like those Merlins?  I've read a lot of good things about them.

steve k

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2004, 07:43 pm »
I believe Bmed has Rocket 88's too. I'm game for getting the higher powered tube gear together. Maybe this could be a little smaller group gathering this time. I sure enjoyed meeting everyone at the last one but it seemed like we had way more equipment than time to listen. That's not fair to the guys who lugged all their stuff down, especially Brad from Springfield.

I'm more than willing to host this one since most of you on this thread haven't been over yet. All are welcome of course. :D

Or Sturg, do you want to give this one a shot?
What's the best time for an event such as this??

steve k

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2004, 01:49 am »
Hi Matt,

The Radii's were fully broken in. Between Wayne and myself we've got loads of hours on them. What I suspect you were hearing was either the Arcam 8se or the gold pin Sylvania's in my Korato pre. The Arcam isn't nearly as smooth as the tweaked out Tjoeb. The Sylvanias can tend to be a bit hard on the top end.

Couple all of that with all of the hard surfaces in that end of the room, it can make some speakers sound a bit harsh and bright. Sometime soon I'll find the time to start rolling tubes (driver and pre). That should help out emmensely.

Might be fun to give these a listen on Steve's Maggies. Let me know when and .... when.

Can't say much about the Jolida amps. I haven't talked to Mike in a while. Thats OK though, been absolutely buried at work. I've been working nights and weekends trying to keep up and will be for (at least) the next few weeks. I haven't even had a chance to write or do much serious listening of late. Oh well. Times like this are just temporary blips on the radar screen.

Oh, get this. I was sitting and typing for work, listening to the Radii's and the Epiphony's. I noticed my wife out on the back deck. I heard her turn on the water to the hose bib on the back side of the house to squirt the deck off. Next thing I know I hear this gawd aweful noise in my shop (right off the listening room). I open the door to find it's being flooded. Apparently, the hose bib and water line that is just above my workshop froze over the winter and decided to burst when she turned on the water.

It's a damned good thing I was sitting there and heard it. If I hadn't, it would have flooded the entire basement. As it was it soaked a bunch of gear that I had on the shelves (no loaners) along with my power and hand tools. I guess somebody was watching over me, thankfully.

Mike D

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2004, 04:37 am »
The Kt88s were broken in and so were the Mullards.  I have two replacement EH KT88s that will arrive tomorrow to replace the runaway tube that drove me to drink.   :evil: Currently I have a Svetlana 88 in its place.  

I had a trumpet player buddy over tonignt to listen.  He is more familiar with my sytem than all but one of my friends.  Unfortunately he had a hard time explaining the improvements that he heard.  Overall it was just so different for him that all he could say was it was more information than he had ever heard out of the albums.  (Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and Thriller)  

I'd love to hear all of the big tube gear.  I'd really love to play pool in Steve's basement with tunes from an obscenely fine HiFi.  

We'll have to do cables another time unless we all bring our own power cords.

Can we do another Sunday?
mike

bmed

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2004, 01:51 pm »
Hi all,

I'm up for a shoot-out.  I'm not sure my Rocket 88 qualifies as high-powered tube; 20wpc triode, 40wpc u-linear.  

I agree with Steve, less is more.  Less gear, more time with a specific piece.  This will allow a better guage of the sonic "spirit" of the gear.  

Count me in,

Brad

Mathew_M

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2004, 11:31 pm »
Scott, I hope nothing was permanently damaged in the flood.  You have a lot of stuff down there that I would think is difficult to replace.

I'm not sure if everyone liked my VMPS but I plan on bringing them along whenever we head over to Steve's place.   I need to take advantage of you guys with your tube gear.  :) Steve's room will probably be a better place to audition the VMPS anyway since he has it dampend for his maggies.

I guess the easiest way to narrow things down is to omit horns and anything under 15 watts for the next shoot out.  Vinyl is cool though.  We can probably do without the Blue Oyster Cult though :wink:

Actually Brad I'd like to hear your Rocket with the VMPS.  When I heard the rocket before it sounded a little heavy (on Vandies) but things might be different with ribbons.  

Sundays always work best for me.  Otherwise I can make time during the week.  It seems I work just about every Saturday.

drummerwill

Dyna's
« Reply #8 on: 6 Apr 2004, 12:04 am »
I could bring my pair of Mark III's with KT-100's
   Willie

steve k

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2004, 10:59 am »
What's your pleasure guys, for the next get together?

So far, Sturgus has offered to host on a Thursday night or Friday afternoon or evening. I can host it on a Saturday or Sunday. It sounds like for the weekend, Sunday is better?

If we do it at my place, we may be without Sturgus' Aronov amps since they're really difficult to move. It really comes down to what time we can get the most people together. I'm open at either place all times except Thursday night.

You need to pick the time and we'll set a date. My Bottlehead Seduction is due here tomorrow so I'll be a soldering fool this weekend.  :roll: If we end up at my place we can give it a spin at that time.

Let us know your preference on a time--Thursday night, Friday afternoon or evening, Saturday or Sunday?

Scott, hope you've recovered from the flood OK :!:
steve k.