Dynaudio Contour S 5.4 vs Salk HT2-Tl

cop1s

Dynaudio Contour S 5.4 vs Salk HT2-Tl
« on: 7 May 2011, 09:29 am »
Are they in the same league , in term of sound quality ?

coke

Re: Dynaudio Contour S 5.4 vs Salk HT2-Tl
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2011, 03:26 pm »
I replaced a pair of Contour S 1.4s with HT2-TLs. 

Highs are much more natural sounding with the Salks.  The Dyn tweeter had more of a "crisp" or in your face sound, where the Salks tweeters don't really sound like tweeters.  Things just sound more like they should, and you hear music instead of a tweeter trying to play music if that makes any sense.  If you're considering these speakers for home theater, the Dyn tweeter might have the edge, but for music I much prefer the Salk tweeter. I have the LCY tweeter though, and can't comment on the new RAAL. 

I think the mids on the Dyns were a little more punchy, but similar to the highs, the Salks mids are just more natural and transparent.  Again, it just depends on what you're listening to as to which will perform better. 

Bass -  The dyns sound like they are ported.  They had a LOT of bass for their size, but I couldn't get rid of the ported sound no matter where I moved them in my room.  The Salks sound very linear and smooth. 

If you want more of an "in your face" sound, the Dyns are better than Salks.  If you want something more natural sounding, I'd go with Salks.  One of the main reasons I replaced the Dyns was that they couldn't play quite as loud as I wanted without distortion. I don't think you'll have that issue with the 5.4, and you'd probably be happy with either speaker. 

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2011, 05:51 pm »
I have never heard the HT2s, but I'm chiming in because my experience with the Dynaudios is very different that coke's.  Specifically, I find them a long way from an in-your-face presentation, instead rather relaxed and musical, which is a nice was of saying less than edgy and hyper-detailed. 

This isn't intended to suggest that coke didn't hear what he heard--I am sure he did!  But instead, like any good speaker (and these both surely qualify), they reflect what they are fed, so synergy is important. 

There are many who think that the Dynaudio Esotar2 tweeter in the 5.4 (which is different than the tweeter in the 1.4) is among the very best.  Whether you would agree is something else entirely.

jriggy

« Reply #3 on: 7 May 2011, 07:11 pm »
I must agree with Steidl G here... Dynaudio's are typically known to be laid-back and natural. The last thing i ever heard Dyn's describe as is 'in your face'. The Esotar2 tweeter is considered to be one of the sweetest and least fatiguing, best tweets in the world!
 I have owned Dyn Focus 220's as well as the Contour s5.4's. Very laid-back, relaxed, natural, musical and holographic/3D presentation. When I moved on, I knew I would miss that sweet sounding soft dome tweeter.

I did a direct comparison of Salk Song Towers to my Focus 220's before moving to the 5.4's.

The Salks are faster, more dynamics and more transparent. But the 220's had a natural musical presentation, not as analytical and created a holographic 'picture into a 3D world' to the music (first order x-over's). The Salks had em beat on frequency extension and transparency but the Dyns beat in the musical presentation side of things.

The 5.4's were more refined and extended than the 220's but I had a bear of a time getting good imaging in my room with them for some reason...

If you are looking for a more forward presentation - with clarity, dynamics and detail, go Salk. If you want a 3D space for the music to reside in and have the space to put the 5.4's way out in the room, placed with Cards speaker placement math and have the means to give them the level of electronics the Dyn's will call for, then go with the 5.4's
They need lots and lots of current (and watts if you ask me)! My Halo A51 was barely enough for em imo.

Botom line here is these two speakers have a completely different presentation to one another -- all boiling down to how YOU hear and what you like.

coke

« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2011, 01:45 am »

But instead, like any good speaker (and these both surely qualify), they reflect what they are fed, so synergy is important. 

This could partially explain what I heard.  I had the Dyns in my room with an Integra 40.1 preamp and an Anthem solid state amp. Just before I sold them, I upgraded to an AVA Ultra+ Double 550 amp and an Ultra SL preamp.  It's been well over a year, but I remember the AVA equipment did take some of the "in your face" sound away and greatly improved the transparency of the Dyns.  I only had a few hours to hear the combo though, so I can't say anything for certain.

My mother owns 2 sets of Contour S 1.4 speakers.  I guess I should take my equipment to her house or bring her speakers here to do another comparison to the Salks.

coke

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2018, 10:43 pm »
Are they in the same league , in term of sound quality ?

It's strange, but my memory of the contour speakers was that they were a little more laid back and warmer sounding, and sounded more full at low volumes.  The thread linked above though shows that 7 years ago I remembered the sound differently  :duh:   :lol:

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2018, 10:50 pm »
What timing! I JUST logged in and see a “blast from the past” as the most resent post!

That system I had seems like so long ago!

coke

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2018, 03:43 pm »
Looks like I accidentally replied to the old thread instead of the new one asking about dynaudio   :scratch: