dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping

*Scotty*

Re: dbpoweramp pro and Teac drive for ripping
« Reply #80 on: 10 Jun 2009, 05:51 pm »
I don't think the TEAC drive is mandatory for good results. I am using a SAMSUNG SE-S084B external USB drive with good results.
The drive supports C2 error detection and has a means of compensating for wobbling off-balance CDs.It also has a manual disc eject function to allow removal of the CD from the drive with the power off. The drive is usable with dbpoweramp secure mode ripping. I purchased mine from Amazon with free shipping for $63.50
Here is a link to more information http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4673846&csid=_25
Scotty
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2009, 10:30 pm by *Scotty* »

firedog

« Reply #81 on: 12 Jun 2009, 02:57 pm »
The TEAC drive isn't "essential", you need a deck that works with C2 pointers. The reason the TEAC drive is stressed is that the dbpoweramp crew tested 100 drives, and found the TEAC model gave the best results.

SEE: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17274

Newk Yuler

« Reply #82 on: 4 Jul 2009, 03:28 am »
Steve and anybody using the external Teac...

Anyone using an external power adapter with the drive?  The eBay auction shows a slot for a wall wart but the text states it will operate on USB only.  I had a similar straight DVDROM drive from Targus 4 or 5 years ago that required a special USB cable with 2 plugs to the host, one of which was wired just for additional power consumption over a single plug's rated output.  I gather newer drives (including burners) are much more power efficient.

- Rand

firedog

« Reply #83 on: 4 Jul 2009, 01:38 pm »
The external Rip/Nas unit I bought from dbpoweramp requires 2 free USB ports on the PC.

Don't know about other Teac units.

BTW, if you are using it with a Slimdevices/WHS setup, it has an added great feature: it not only automatically rips and tags a CD to your Music folder, it also automatically updates the SlimCenter "library", so you don't have to manually request a database update every time you add a CD.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2009, 10:46 pm by firedog »

silverlight

« Reply #84 on: 4 Jul 2009, 08:41 pm »

Anyone using an external power adapter with the drive?  The eBay auction shows a slot for a wall wart but the text states it will operate on USB only.  I had a similar straight DVDROM drive from Targus 4 or 5 years ago that required a special USB cable with 2 plugs to the host, one of which was wired just for additional power consumption over a single plug's rated output.  I gather newer drives (including burners) are much more power efficient.

- Rand

Rand - I use Mac computers, but for ripping I do it from my MacBook Air booted into Windows with dbpoweramp and the TEAC 224 drive.  Knowing battery is always better, I just rip from the notebook with the power cord unplugged.  The single USB cord is sufficient to power the drive from the MBAir.  I do a few other tweaks that may or may not be helpful - vibrapod feet under the drive to minimize vibration, a Shakti Stone sitting on top (balance, reduce EMI, etc.), and have a Millenium CD mat I'm going to be using shortly once I've swapped out the Teac 224SL (slot load) with the 224E (top load equivalent).  I was finding small scratches starting to show up on some discs that I was ripping multiple times for testing/listening purposes (and I'm 99% sure they are scratches from the plastic of the 224SL drive given their direction).  FWIW I tried arguably the best CD treatment (Jena Labs Esoteric 3D-X), which didn't make any different in the sound quality when doing comparisons (it's clearly meant for CDP's, get's wonderful praise).  however, ripping software and encoding choices did make a difference though!

gman

« Reply #85 on: 6 Jul 2009, 09:45 pm »

- Rand

Rand - I use Mac computers, but for ripping I do it from my MacBook Air booted into Windows with dbpoweramp and the TEAC 224 drive.  Knowing battery is always better, I just rip from the notebook with the power cord unplugged.  The single USB cord is sufficient to power the drive from the MBAir.  I do a few other tweaks that may or may not be helpful - vibrapod feet under the drive to minimize vibration, a Shakti Stone sitting on top (balance, reduce EMI, etc.), and have a Millenium CD mat I'm going to be using shortly once I've swapped out the Teac 224SL (slot load) with the 224E (top load equivalent).  I was finding small scratches starting to show up on some discs that I was ripping multiple times for testing/listening purposes (and I'm 99% sure they are scratches from the plastic of the 224SL drive given their direction).  FWIW I tried arguably the best CD treatment (Jena Labs Esoteric 3D-X), which didn't make any different in the sound quality when doing comparisons (it's clearly meant for CDP's, get's wonderful praise).  however, ripping software and encoding choices did make a difference though!

Are you going to be using the Teac DW-224E-V drive? I've looked around and there are several variants of the 224E. Also, did you find a good source for it? Prices are all over the map I've found.

Gary

silverlight

« Reply #86 on: 6 Jul 2009, 10:28 pm »

- Rand

Are you going to be using the Teac DW-224E-V drive? I've looked around and there are several variants of the 224E. Also, did you find a good source for it? Prices are all over the map I've found.

Gary

I ordered it the other day from the following website after doing a search.  I too noticed that prices were all over the place and this was the cheapest.  they sent it out next day and I should be getting it tomorrow.  will put it in the USB enclosure the 224SL is in assuming it fits.
http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=16884&cat=0&page=1

gman

« Reply #87 on: 6 Jul 2009, 10:45 pm »

- Rand

Gary

I ordered it the other day from the following website after doing a search.  I too noticed that prices were all over the place and this was the cheapest.  they sent it out next day and I should be getting it tomorrow.  will put it in the USB enclosure the 224SL is in assuming it fits.
http://www.ayagroup.com/product.php?productid=16884&cat=0&page=1

Thanks for the info. I just put in my order now.

Newk Yuler

« Reply #88 on: 7 Jul 2009, 04:12 am »
Assuming the 224E-x variant is going to behave like the SL, you could consider this.  Some of those are for pocket change.  The drawer version is certainly a lot more common.

I'd like to be assured that the E will perform exactly as the SL.  My experience with slot drives is they can mark a disc but it's almost always the ones that are as smooth on top as the reading surface.  Those have a tendency to lose traction and stop half way and allow the rollers to spin on the surfaces.

-Rand

gman

« Reply #89 on: 14 Jul 2009, 06:32 pm »
Silverlight, any luck with that supplier for the Teac drive? I received my order, but they sent me a Hitachi drive instead of the Teac I ordered, which I returned and they refunded without any hassles.

So I ordered a Teac from eBay but I haven't taken delivery of it yet.

I'm really interested to get your impressions of ripping with the Millenium CD mat. Please keep us posted.

Gary

silverlight

« Reply #90 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:21 pm »
On my iPhone so will keep this brief.  I did some burn tests with the new 224E and I really could not determine a difference keeping all other conditions constant.  Further, adding the Millenium mat also did not make an audible difference - nothing like the difference between ripping to wav versus aiff (wav is noticeably better in my tests - took me some focus but once I locked into it easy to differentiate and at this point I have not found another ripping alternative that matches, which is a big bummer from an artwork and tagging perspective for a mac iTunes and soon to be Amarra user like me...). Happy to report no more disc scratching :)

gman

« Reply #91 on: 14 Jul 2009, 10:49 pm »
I just received my Teac DW-224E-V that I purchased off eBay. Looks like a new drive, but on the sticker, it reads made in Indonesia. I don't know if there is a Teac plant there or not, so it might not be a real Teac drive.

Anyway, I also purchased one of the cases that allows me to connect the drive via USB. I am running the Mac in Windows mode using Parallels. When I check my System, it definitely recognizes the Teac drive, but when I load a disc, it doesn't want to read it. It stutters and the green light flashes, but I cannot get dbPoweramp to read the disc. Tried multiple discs with no luck.

Silverlight, was there any drivers or anything special you had to do to get it to work in the Mac/Windows environment?

silverlight

« Reply #92 on: 14 Jul 2009, 11:57 pm »
I noticed the same thing in parallels.  I use bootcamp to burn and had no problems (and generally I think it's better to use bootcamp bc in parallels it's a software I/o with the drive and I would think could result in potential issues).

gman

« Reply #93 on: 15 Jul 2009, 12:09 am »
I just hooked up the drive via the USB connector to a spare PC I have here and unfortunately, it's doing the same thing. The drive flashes and the disc spins initially, then it seems like the disc is attempting to be read, but then it slows down and the green light just flashes. So I'm not sure if the drive is bad or what.

By the way, did you get your Teac drive from AyaGroup after all? They sent me a Hitachi drive and said their supplier doesn't have any more Teac drives.

silverlight

« Reply #94 on: 15 Jul 2009, 12:19 am »
Have you tried seeing if there is a firmware update available for your exact model/version?  I had the same experience on osx, but cleared up on windows native (xp sp3) 

I did receive the correct version from ayagroup quite quickly. 

Brucemck

« Reply #95 on: 18 Oct 2009, 10:50 pm »

Is there an external version of the Teac that would work via USB?

I couldn't find an easy reference/place to purchase one.

audioengr

« Reply #96 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:10 am »

Empirical Audio Legacy and Empirical Audio are working on an integrated system, including Mini with Amarra, SSD, Tunebank, ripping drive and Off-Ramp 3.  We are investigating different drives. We need a good ripping drive to go with this system.  Is it interesting to make the ripping drive battery powered?

Steve N.

firedog

« Reply #97 on: 19 Oct 2009, 04:47 am »

Yes, that's the model dbpoweramp are selling. Just get that model from another vendor.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #98 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:31 pm »
In case anyone is looking for a external Teac drive, Overstock.com has refurb Teac DW224U for $54.
Chris H.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #99 on: 5 Feb 2010, 07:05 pm »
In case anyone is looking for a external Teac drive, Overstock.com has refurb Teac DW224U for $54.
Chris H.

Thanks for that heads up...but...mine arrived today.  It comes up as a Panasonic Matshita Ujda 740??  It's a very compact laptop sized generic looking drive with a USB cable and a power cable that is also USB (i.e power pin on drive end, USB on other end??).  I think I just got ripped off.  I will email Overstock, but what a hassle regardless.  Anyway...FYI...danger danger.