Ampzilla, VMPS and Live Music at January CES

Brax

Re: Ampzilla, VMPS and Live Music at January CES
« Reply #120 on: 19 Jan 2009, 06:12 pm »
I've searched and searched but found almost nothing on VMPS's demo at the show. I would have thought the demo would have spawned articals and reviews but I have seen anything. Anyone else find anything on this besides on this forum and the small tidbit on Stereophile?

John Casler

« Reply #121 on: 19 Jan 2009, 07:50 pm »
I've searched and searched but found almost nothing on VMPS's demo at the show. I would have thought the demo would have spawned articals and reviews but I have seen anything. Anyone else find anything on this besides on this forum and the small tidbit on Stereophile?

Absolute Sound is supposed to be blogging their take (don't know when)

Here is Positive Feedbacks couple pics

Found here: 
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ces12.htm

John Casler

« Reply #122 on: 23 Jan 2009, 01:04 am »
Can't beleive this thread has almost 10,000 hits :o :o :o

Housteau

« Reply #123 on: 28 Jan 2009, 01:20 am »
Absolute Sound is supposed to be blogging their take (don't know when)

Yes, Alan Taffel was very impressed on Saturday making a list of the entire signal chain.  After I had talked with him I brought him over to Brian for a better in depth explanation of the demo process and the obstacles that needed dealing with.  Alan's words were something to the effect of:  "Well, you nailed it"

I see he is still writing blogs about The Show with the latest one posted on the 25th, so I hope to see something written soon.  He said he was going to do mention the demo even though that was not his category of coverage.  He explained that he is always looking for good sound and that is what the Absolute Sound is about.

thegage

« Reply #124 on: 28 Jan 2009, 08:00 pm »
Positive Feedback has a short bit on it in their report:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/ces_gordon.htm

John K.

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #125 on: 29 Jan 2009, 03:49 am »
The PF show report accurately reflects the sound of our demo on Saturday.

Sunday was much better, though the difference in setup was extremely slight:
a 0.3dB boost at 284Hz (Q=1) made the recorded sound virtually indistinguishable from live. This applied to CD playback as well, which was startlingly good.

I loved Jason Serinus' whistling.  He moved around a lot and even threw himself on the floor doing the Woodstock sketch.  So consider him "off-mic" on that one.

Housteau

Brian Cheney

« Reply #127 on: 1 Feb 2009, 06:14 pm »
Nice shot of Fred Haller, a legendary woodwind player with 45 years experience in the LV and LA music scenes.  He gave me a CDR of a fabulous 1989 Sinatra album where he plays lead sax.  We will invite Fred back next year, along with Bill Bailey and Chris Salocks.

mjosef

« Reply #128 on: 18 Feb 2009, 04:26 am »

Big B. with his Guardian Angel J.C. looking over him.  :thumb:

Brian Cheney

« Reply #129 on: 13 Dec 2009, 11:02 pm »
Eleven months after the fact, I have finally had the opportunity (thanks to Ray Kimber, who downloaded the DSD harddrive, converted it to 16/44. and edited together over 17 hours of music) to listen to the recordings we made in the Zeus Ballroom during CES, and I am more than very pleased.

Sonically, even in Redbook, these have to be the most real sounding recordings ever made.  Two mics, no processing, no compression, with the huge headroom and dynamic range that DSD recording affords.  I will edit together a 70min RBCD and make it available to readers of this forum as a Reality Check direct copy of the "master" CD.  Maybe I'll do the same for our 2010 demo.

Terrific solo piano from Chris Salocks and James Bongiorno.  Heartfelt singing from Leslie Olsher, backed by sax, flute, string bass, piano and percussion.  The amazing whistling of Jason Serenius, repeating material from his Johnny Carson Show appearance.  And the powerful voice of knockout contemporary singer Jeanine Del Carlo, a name you heard here first.

There will be no charge for the CD, just shipping and handling.  We will announce availability after CES.  I'll cut each disc myself and check it vs the master.

Everyone here is in for a treat.

lateralgs

« Reply #130 on: 14 Dec 2009, 03:27 am »
There will be no charge for the CD, just shipping and handling.  We will announce availability after CES.  I'll cut each disc myself and check it vs the master.

Everyone here is in for a treat.

Wow, yes please!

I decided to quit lurking and get registered, just for this!...

pmctexas

« Reply #131 on: 7 May 2017, 02:24 pm »
Reviving an old topic - does anyone have access to the original DSD files from CES ? I have the converted 16/44 but I expect the DSD tracks would even be better...

Just a "shot in the dark"

thanks

Per Brian - "Eleven months after the fact, I have finally had the opportunity (thanks to Ray Kimber, who downloaded the DSD harddrive, converted it to 16/44. and edited together over 17 hours of music) to listen to the recordings we made in the Zeus Ballroom during CES, and I am more than very pleased."

Housteau

« Reply #132 on: 7 May 2017, 07:36 pm »
Ray did not provide the original DSD files over to us for that year.  I did the DSD recording the next year for 2010 and for 2012.  Sadly I was not able to attend the show for 2011.  The show for 2009 was the first one for recording and although we had the best equipment and people to help out, personally I don't think that was the best year of the three I was a part of.  By far the best was 2012 with some good things happening in 2011.  DSD is wonderful, but you cannot work with it in that form.  The software for it is very expensive.  For the most part the recordings were kept in pure form with no limiting, or compression being used.  But, here and there I had to do some minor repairs.  So, The original DSD files were converted over to 24/192 for the convenience of being able to adjust a few things here and there.  I have all of that material. 

Dave

pmctexas

« Reply #133 on: 7 May 2017, 08:47 pm »
Thanks for the response...