Topping TP60 vs. Dayton Audio APA150

JMH

Topping TP60 vs. Dayton Audio APA150
« on: 8 Dec 2017, 12:17 am »
Hi,

I need a couple cheap amps for tri-amping. I already have two Dayton Audio APA150 that I will bridge to use for the low end. So I need two more, preferably small stereo amps for midrange and high frequencies for 97db+ sensitivity drivers.

Have anyone here tried both the TP60 and the APA150? Which one has better mids and highs? Or are there any other amps in their price range i should consider? 

Thanks!

Cacophonix

Re: Topping TP60 vs. Dayton Audio APA150
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2017, 04:38 pm »
Did you check this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hUKWbaCgI

I've the APA150, and it sounds extremely good. Never felt the need to try anything else in that price range.

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2017, 05:19 pm »
I too have found the APA150 to be a very nice sounding amp though I have not yet compared it to anything in my main system. I use it for my desktop computer system with a usb dac and some good bookshelf/monitor size speakers. Very enjoyable nearfield sound.   
« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2017, 06:49 pm by jmc207 »

Cacophonix

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2017, 05:46 pm »
I've compared it against crown xls 1502 .. and with the obvious exception of power, the dayton is definitely a better sounding amp. It seems to perform best when i connect my chromecast audio directly to the amp, and use the volume dial on the amp. Putting a preamp makes it easier to switch sources (not that i've multiple anyway), but it seems to take away a little bit of the magic  ....

JMH

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2017, 02:29 pm »
Did you check this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6hUKWbaCgI

I've the APA150, and it sounds extremely good. Never felt the need to try anything else in that price range.
I too have found the APA150 to be a very nice sounding amp though I have not yet compared it to anything in my main system. I use it for my desktop computer system with a usb dac and some good bookshelf/monitor size speakers. Very enjoyable nearfield sound.   

Thanks for your answers. Yes, I've seen the comparison between them on youtube. It seems that the APA150 has better bass response and overall sound than the TP60. But I've seen a lot of people commenting on the TP60's mids and highs being really good. That's why I'm wondering if the TP60 will be the best amp in my application since I'm only going to use them for mids and highs.   

Tarzan

• Virtue Audio Fanboy
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2017, 09:00 am »
l had a TP60 for a while- and moved it on as l was disappointed with the sound of the unit.

CELT in AR

• Space Doggy
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2017, 01:13 pm »
I have a TP-60 and compared it to my old Marantz 8b which was refurbished. I have no probs with it's SQ and love it's lush midrange.
I also had an APA-150, which blew it's biscuits...and there was nothing better about it vs. the TP-60.