Sonore Ultrarendu vs Microrendu v1.4 w/ LPS

sauropod

Sonore Ultrarendu vs Microrendu v1.4 w/ LPS
« on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:44 am »
Hi All,

I wanted to gather thoughts on whether I should fork over the extra $$ for an ultrarendu over a v1.4 microrendu powered by an UpTone LPS-1 and upgraded DC power cable.  Thoughts from anyone who has heard both?   Not sure if I would spend the dough on upgrading the Ultrarendu with an aftermarket LPS so looking for comparisons between the v1.4 microrendu w/LPS and a stock ultrarendu.  Is it worth the extra $$$?

TIA!
Sauro

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Sonore Ultrarendu vs Microrendu v1.4 w/ LPS
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2017, 05:04 am »
Can't help with your Ultra/Micro question... but I'm curious about your handle.  I was part of a crew that worked on a Titanosaur some time back in Big Bend National Park.  Are you in the paleontology field?
Scott

sauropod

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2017, 06:25 am »
Just a nickname I got in college while taking some paleontology courses :-)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2017, 06:46 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC sauropod   :thumb:  I'm sure some of our more evolved members will be able to provide some information, or direction to it regarding your question.

brj

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2017, 08:05 am »
For what it's worth, a Sonore rep at RMAF told me that the latest microRendu offered at least 90% of the sound quality of the ultraRendu.  I have no personal basis for comparison, but I was impressed that he wasn't trying to gratuitously up-sell people to the ultraRendu.

JakeJ

« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:27 pm »
Hello and welcome to AC, sauropod.  Good luck on your quest.

lokie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2017, 01:46 pm »
I have never heard the microRendu but I owned the Sonore Signature Series Rendu and replaced it with a Ultrarendu/CIAudio combo and couldn't be happier.

I would describe the difference as the latter being more organic and less "digital" w a bit more darker background and therefore seems more revealing. So, overall a nice improvement especially since it's cheaper than the Sig. Way to go Sonore!

I suppose it depends on the rest of your system.

genjamon

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2017, 04:58 pm »
Wait, so you're not planning on using the LPS-1 with the ultrarendu if you get it?  That would be a mistake in my opinion.  I can't imagine an ultrarendu with cheap PS bettering the microrendu 1.4 with an LPS-1.  I owned the microrendu and borrowed an ultrarendu - quite a nice upgrade there.  Then I sent my microrendu in for the 1.4 upgrade while I still had the ultrarendu in house.  Then when the 1.4 version arrived, I listened and compared the ultra to the 1.4.  All of this was powered by the same LPS-1. 

Basically, I roughly agree with what Sonore is saying about the level of upgrades.  10% more micro-finesse coming from an upgrade from 1.4 to an ultra.  But that's with the same high quality power supply.  If you drop power supply quality in the shift to ultra, it could easily negate that 10% increase in performance and net you a worse overall performance.  I'd be careful with this approach.

That said, I very much appreciated that extra 10%, it's a 10% that means more than 10% in terms of the sense of bringing me closer to the music.  So, I took a bath in selling my 1.4 and spent the extra to upgrade to the ultra.

lokie

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2017, 05:23 pm »
I would agree with the basic premise of genjamon's post in that... don't skimp on the power supply.

sauropod

« Reply #9 on: 4 Dec 2017, 02:21 am »
Excellent info.  Thanks all!  I just got v1.3 but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet as I bought a Wyred4Sound Recovery to use between the laptop and the Mytek Brooklyn DAC and it's been an amazing upgrade.