Looking for opinins on Led Zeppelin remasters

2gumby2

Looking for opinins on Led Zeppelin remasters
« on: 5 Nov 2017, 12:58 am »
I purchased a couple of the Led Zeppelin remasters on CD that were released around 2014. They are so bright and sound so bad I cannot listen to them. Has anyone compared the new CD remasters with the new vinyl remasters? Just wondering if the new vinyl remasters are more pleasant than their CD brothers. I had a similar experience with buying the new remaster Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine CD. The CD was just too bright sounding to be enjoyable.

orthobiz

Re: Looking for opinins on Led Zeppelin remasters
« Reply #1 on: 5 Nov 2017, 01:12 am »
This is a good topic for stevehoffman.tv
Great website for questions, they may even have a thread on this...

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #2 on: 5 Nov 2017, 01:13 am »
Also, the RL Robert Ludwig Led Zep II are amazing, I have one (I'm lucky). Look for an Atlantic US LZII that does NOT have the gold spiky star sticker that indicates it's a Gold Record and you just might be in luck!

Paul

orthobiz

« Reply #3 on: 5 Nov 2017, 01:14 am »
Finally, the Classic remastered vinyl series is supposed to be the bomb. I could have bought the 45 rpm hard case road box for 600 back in the day...alas...

Paul

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2017, 02:21 am »
I've heard some of the Davis masterings, which come off a bit 'dry' sounding to me overall, but I haven't heard them on vinyl yet. I suppose you'd have to hear it for yourself to judge whether or not the digitally sourced vinyl is an improvement.

Here is a comparison of some of the Zep II pressings....

https://youtu.be/mTBhKML8TvY

orthobiz

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2017, 03:08 am »
Interesting series of vinyl posts by the guy in your link, Lark, thanks!

Paul

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2017, 12:53 pm »
The best vinyl are the “classic records” versions. The new digital versions have been screwed with. LZll has the bass boosted way up, and the cymbals are gone. The drums sound terrible. Not much difference between the CD and LP.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #7 on: 9 Nov 2017, 01:38 am »
2gumby2

You are going to get a lot of different opinions on this.  My opinion is no better than anyone else's...but I can offer this.  I own the original Atlantic and Swan Song pressings of the entire Led Zeppelin catalog.  I also own all of the 200g Classic Records pressings that were remastered by Bernie Grundman, and the Jimmy Page remasteres that were cut to vinyl from 24bit/96KHz digital files.

Here is the thing.  Unless you got gobs of money coming out of your ears forget about the Classic Records 200g pressings.  They are selling for a king's ransom these days and are nowhere near worth the current asking price.  While I might prefer by a slight margin the Classic Records 200g pressings, the Jimmy Page remasters on 180g vinyl are pressed at Pallas and sound very good -- even better than the original Atlantic and Swan Song pressings IMO.

As a side note I would suggest you steer clear of the Steve Hoffman forum.  It used to be pretty good but the signal to nose ratio is quite low these days with trolls abound.  Just my opinion though and I'm sure others love the site.

--Jerome

2gumby2

« Reply #8 on: 9 Nov 2017, 03:13 am »

Do you know what year the Pallas LPs were released?

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2017, 07:28 am »

--Jerome

2gumby2

« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2017, 03:23 am »
Thanks for the input. I ordered some Pallas pressed led Zeppelin today.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #11 on: 10 Dec 2017, 03:09 pm »
How are they?