Using Right-Angle RCA Adapters

Harvest

• Few But Ripe...
Using Right-Angle RCA Adapters
« on: 14 Aug 2017, 08:58 pm »
Good afternoon:

I would like to use Right-Angle RCA Adapters because of close confines of my shelves requires moving sources forward. Will using these adapters effect and/or color the sound?

Thank you in advance for your help.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
Re: Using Right-Angle RCA Adapters
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2017, 09:46 pm »
I have used them sometimes with various Bottlehead amps which have the RCA's on the top.  I never heard any degradation but I am sure someone will say that is a heresy and you should be tortured.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm »
I never heard any degradation but I am sure someone will say that is a heresy and you should be tortured.

Tortured is a bit strong, I would think a mild slapping around would suffice.  ;)

All wires and all connectors will technically affect and color the sound.  Whether this coloration will actually be audible to your ears with your equipment and cables is of course the question of the hour!

I would avoid the obvious el-cheapo marginal-quality typified by the budget $0.49 Monoprice

Audioquest has some at ~ $20/pair, but I don't know if they're any better than other imported machined adapters at $5 - $10/pair.

The nicest looking ones I've come across are the ViaBlue XS 40615/40620.  I haven't seen them in person, but I do have some other ViaBlue connectors and their German metallurgy, machining and plating is excellent quality and more comparable to entry-level WBT and Furutech than to typical Asian imports.

Unfortunately, unlike other ViaBlue connectors, I haven't seen these offered for sale in the U.S. and the only source I'm finding is eBaying them from Germany at ~ $25/pair shipped.

Of course, if you're not using exotic cables, you could also have someone like Markertek make you up some cables with industry standard Neutrik or Switchcraft right-angle RCA connectors and Belden or Mogami cable of your choice and forgo adapters all together.

Steve
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2017, 02:41 pm by srb »

Harvest

• Few But Ripe...
« Reply #3 on: 15 Aug 2017, 01:03 pm »
glynnw and srb, thank you for your responses. I will look for good quality right-angle RCA adapters.