Choseal Q940 banana plugs

earwig

Choseal Q940 banana plugs
« on: 14 Jul 2017, 11:22 am »
Has anyone ever heard of these Chinese made Choseal Q940 banana plug set? They say they are high purity copper with gold plating and they look very simple and look pretty.Once I can find out where to get some from a good source I will get some to try out . It seems to offer a very reasonable low price too . Good for DIY speaker wiring up project to replace my old MIT terminator 4 bi-wire which tends to have a somewhat bloated sound to it.Also there is a cheaper Q906 without the sleeves too. google those on images

bacobits1

Re: Choseal Q940 banana plugs
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2017, 01:31 pm »

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2017, 03:36 pm »
Not exactly the same terminal type but I use Sewel Silverbacks and like them a lot.  They fit snugly and the compression fingers don't spin on the shaft like some others of the same type that I've used. 

https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-silverback-banana-plugs-12-pair

wushuliu

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2017, 03:43 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of these Chinese made Choseal Q940 banana plug set? They say they are high purity copper with gold plating and they look very simple and look pretty.Once I can find out where to get some from a good source I will get some to try out . It seems to offer a very reasonable low price too . Good for DIY speaker wiring up project to replace my old MIT terminator 4 bi-wire which tends to have a somewhat bloated sound to it.Also there is a cheaper Q906 without the sleeves too. google those on images

Misleading advertising. May possibly be, say, Tellurium copper, but gold-plated OFC is not likely. And yeah, there are a zillion cheaper versions. You really have to do the research on these before buying. But they're still cheap enough so maybe try em out and let us know what you think.

I wonder, if someone wants to test the metal composition of these items, who could you send them to test that? Must be pretty easy to do.

srb

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2017, 04:27 pm »
Most of the BFA / Z style plugs I have seen are made from beryllium copper alloys that are needed to provide spring tension (like the Multi-Contact LS4 that I use).

The only plugs of that style I have seen that use a more conductive copper are the Furez banana plugs made from C14500 93% IACS Tellurium copper and use an elastomeric insert for tension.  They are also available in a silver-plated version that has a 105% conductivity.

They're not cheap, though, going for ~ $15/pair for the bare copper version and ~ $25/pair for the silver-plated version.  (They don't seem to offer a gold-plated version).

Steve

wushuliu

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2017, 06:44 pm »
Most of the BFA / Z style plugs I have seen are made from beryllium copper alloys that are needed to provide spring tension (like the Multi-Contact LS4 that I use).

The only plugs of that style I have seen that use a more conductive copper are the Furez banana plugs made from C14500 93% IACS Tellurium copper and use an elastomeric insert for tension.  They are also available in a silver-plated version that has a 105% conductivity.

They're not cheap, though, going for ~ $15/pair for the bare copper version and ~ $25/pair for the silver-plated version.  (They don't seem to offer a gold-plated version).

Steve

That looks like an excellent choice.

restrav

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2017, 06:57 pm »

Steve

i never even heard of this company. what are the diffrences betweeb the sizes? i mean in action. as in the bigger size would not be compatible with some amps or speakers maybe? I would like to give them a try.

JakeJ

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2017, 07:01 pm »

srb

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2017, 09:55 pm »
what are the diffrences betweeb the sizes?

The diameter of the split tube for all models is sized for standard 4mm binding posts; the differences in models are the cable entry ID / wire gauge size.  The minimalist Crimp/Solder version (with or without aluminum shell) comes in three sizes:

TST-W25xx    2.5mm    (.102")    14 AWG
TST-W30xx    3.1mm    (.122")    12 AWG
TST-W38xx    3.81mm   (.150")    10 AWG

The larger body Set Screw versions (40/50/60) can accommodate larger wire sizes down to the 7 AWG - 4 AWG range.

Is this your source?
http://www.douglasconnection.com/Furez-Products_c20.htm

Yes.

earwig

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jul 2017, 01:18 pm »
How about the Viborg pure copper bananas they seem much more thicker metal content in them? Why do they have to put plastic inserts inside the copper tube section of the Furez. Does that mean the metal is thin and soft and would bend or twist easy? Perhap if they made the copper thicker,hmm?

srb

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jul 2017, 01:41 pm »
Why do they have to put plastic inserts inside the copper tube section of the Furez. Does that mean the metal is thin and soft and would bend or twist easy? Perhap if they made the copper thicker,hmm?

No, pure copper is relatively soft and malleable and doesn't spring back into shape like the (less conductive) beryllium copper alloy used in most other BFA plugs.  The elastomeric insert is what provides the tension to make a tight connection.

The Viborg plug is a different design that uses a single phosphor bronze contact pin to provide tension.  I don't know if that insures as much surface area contact as a tapered BFA barrel with equal circumferential tension or not.

Steve

bacobits1

« Reply #12 on: 16 Jul 2017, 02:14 pm »
The elastomer is there for vibration control from what I have read.
Do you need that? Hmmmm

It all depends on what you want to spend and how anal are you?  :scratch:
Differences in sound on all these? You figure it out.

srb

« Reply #13 on: 16 Jul 2017, 02:21 pm »
The elastomer is there for vibration control from what I have read.

"The Furez Tensioned Split Tube Banana (TST) is designed to provide optimized contact pressure by using a solid elastomeric tensioning element. This tensioning element provides the spring force required to enable the use of softer high conductivity copper."

Steve

bacobits1

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jul 2017, 02:53 pm »
For the cost I had these on a pair of Kimber 8TC and what I'm using now the BFA spring steel gold plated from Take 5 Audio were better. As I said depends what ya wanna to spend. Better yet use bare ends no connector. I like the convenience though.

earwig

« Reply #15 on: 18 Jul 2017, 09:00 am »
The Viborg seems simular to the high quality QED and Black Rhodium banana style plugs from England but those ones are most probably just gold plated brass. The difference seems to be Viborg uses a " copper/gold plt" pipe instead . If the wire sticking out the length side slot was even just made of gold plated spring steel it would not matter as the electrical current would prefere the better copper pipe anyways and press into the walls for contact.I would think  this British style would have a much stronger thicker copper than a thin Furez copper bfa supported by a plastic core that would be more likely to crack under pressure.Oh and if you like to spend more money theres an interesting locking banana much like the wbt for $34 usd (x4) called the "1877" CF-B6 gold /copper at partsconnextion and they look very nice too Im considering. Also I have no previous experiance with these two types but mayby someone has ,so let me know what you think.

sfox7076

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2017, 11:05 am »
How can one have 105% conductivity? Seems to violate the laws of physics. 

restrav

« Reply #17 on: 18 Jul 2017, 11:19 am »
How can one have 105% conductivity? Seems to violate the laws of physics.

you have to ask yourself %105 of what? what is the baseline? I think that they have chosen their copper connector as the baseline and have measured the silver one to have %105 which means 5% better conductivity. so no it doesnt violate the laws of physics, it is just conveniently vague. just marketing nonsense really. most of these measurements dont mean much unless they come with 6 pages of parameters, details, conditions that the test took place under, and definitions for what they are measuring and why and with what tolerances.

srb

« Reply #18 on: 18 Jul 2017, 02:21 pm »
you have to ask yourself %105 of what? what is the baseline? ..... it is just conveniently vague. just marketing nonsense really .....

It's not vague or marketing nonsense.  IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard) was developed to compare the electrical conductivity of copper.

Using the conductivity of commercially available annealed copper (resistivity of 1.7241x10-8 ohm/meter at 20°C) as a baseline of 100%, it is also used to compare the conductivity of other metals and alloys to copper.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/108/Electrical_Conductivity_of_Materials

Steve

restrav

« Reply #19 on: 18 Jul 2017, 03:59 pm »
It's not vague or marketing nonsense.  IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard) was developed to compare the electrical conductivity of copper.

Using the conductivity of commercially available annealed copper (resistivity of 1.7241x10-8 ohm/meter at 20°C) as a baseline of 100%, it is also used to compare the conductivity of other metals and alloys to copper.

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/108/Electrical_Conductivity_of_Materials

Steve

Wow they got to you huh?

The concept of conductivity is ofcourse bogus. There is no such thing. Wake up America and open your eyes. I was obviously not talking about this particular company and this particular pruduct when I called it vague I was ofcourse referring to the concept of conductivity in general which is a liberal gray muslim invention designed to increase taxes on decent eagle fucking Americans.