Hearing protectors

KenSeger

• Heavy and noisy, but beautiful
    • Ken's Plain Jane Website
Hearing protectors
« on: 11 Jul 2017, 05:08 pm »
Hey gang,  what do you do when you have to be exposed to noise?  Dipping some wadded up kleenex in water does work pretty good, but some good shooting muffs are handier. 
I looked around and the best for a high NRR is this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XMY7KC2?psc=1
  It's an NRR of 37db and I can't find a muff in either fancy electronic or passive that is that high. 
Second bests that I could find is 34db, 33db, and 30db.  Also, these are $13 and a bunch cheaper than the lower priced electronic ones that are only in the mid to upper 20s of NRR.
Ken

milford3

Re: Hearing protectors
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2017, 05:32 pm »
Peltor makes a great ear protector.  I use these on the shooting range.  Down side is they are not cheap.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/peltor-tactical-6-sound-tra-sound-trap-trade-slim-line-mt15h67fb.html

ss397

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2017, 07:03 pm »
Etymotic research makes nice ear plugs that do attenuate high frequencies as much as foam or paper. Nice for concerts.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:26 pm »
Deep insertion plugs or iems are usually the best for mid and high frequencies. Doubling up with shooting muffs or a cheap active noise cancelling headphone (which will catch more of your bass/midbass stuff) on top is a good way to block out more.  Nothing blocks out the really low end stuff except a wall, though a face mask will help cut down some of the sheer power and bone conduction. But seriously, keep your mouth closed or you'll get more resonance in your head.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:43 pm »
Gun supplies.. Plenty of foam in ear 32+dB noise stoppers.. about  50 cents to $1 a pair.
I bought a tub of 50 pairs.. each pair in a small sealed baggie.
You squeeze them and the put them in. As they re-expand.. the World of noise drops away..
The downside is moisture. if your ears sweat inside..
You can add pro headphone like ear protectors for an additional (up to) 37dB...
With both.. you ARE deaf. But your ears are protected totally..
.44 magnum goes off next to your ear?  you will not hear it.(well, you might feel it..)

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2017, 08:45 pm »
Gun supplies.. Plenty of foam in ear 32+dB noise stoppers.. about  50 cents to $1 a pair.
I bought a tub of 50 pairs.. each pair in a small sealed baggie.
You squeeze them and the put them in. As they re-expand.. the World of noise drops away..
The downside is moisture. if your ears sweat inside..
You can add pro headphone like ear protectors for an additional (up to) 37dB...
With both.. you ARE deaf. But your ears are protected totally..
.44 magnum goes off next to your ear?  you will not hear it.(well, you might feel it..)
That's exactly what I wear when mowing my lawn...if one of my grandsons doesn't mow it for me.

Brettio

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2017, 11:05 pm »
I shoot quite often and my search for adequate hearing protection stopped when I found Surefire Sonic defenders.  In my opinion they're the best. 

Blackmore

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm »
I use Etymotics when I perform and have to sit in front of the trombone section or too near the percussion section. I was two feet from the snare drum last night and the volume levels were acceptable.  Some local drum lines are using Earasers since they are invisible to the audience. 

For cheap I like the foam plugs, but they are not nice for outdoor concerts in Missouri-too sweaty.

Baumli

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jul 2017, 08:25 am »
Hello people,

After almost two months, I've got a computer again. The original one died, and two replacements didn't work out.

A strange reply to the above discussion, this, but somehow I feel I should give people a polite warning given what was said in a post above. Being a .44-Magnum man, I've learned a lot about the pistol, and one thing I've learned first-hand is that the gun is so powerful that if you shoot one off close to your ear, even with ear protectors in, the lateral muzzle blast--considerable from a short barrel--can actually kill. So don't check the efficacy of ear protectors that way. And on a side note, up in Northwest Missouri where I'm from, a fellow shot another fellow in the head using a "blank" from a distance of about six feet. That .44-Magnum paper wad went into his head so deep it killed him.

So check your hearing protectors with a mower, or a loud stereo, or a gun that isn't near your head.

I'm sorry to have been "out of the loop." I'm back again, and Dave Sheckleton should be writhing in bed every night over his bad conscience, since he aroused my gear lust with that JBL rig he's got.

Still in the fold,

Francis Baumli

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jul 2017, 03:01 pm »
Basically you have two choices. The foam plugs you insert into the ear; sometimes I moisten before for a more comfortable fit and tighter seal. You can get these almost anywhere. They are not expensive but you get can them for a lot less at your local $ store. The other option is the headphone style.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jul 2017, 03:33 pm »
I picked up a pair of the ones recommended by the OP,  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XMY7KC2?psc=1,  and they're quite good- noticeably better than the WallyWorld pair I had been using.  I have about three acres that I mow around the house, so I get an extended exposure to tractor/mower noise.  These do the job. 

rockadanny

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2017, 03:43 pm »
I carry a pair of the foam inserts whenever I go to a live concert, especially indoors. I buy them at WalMart. I don't want to use them, but if the show is so loud it will destroy my ears, then it is loud enough to enjoy with them inserted in my ears. On occasion I have forgotten them and have had to resort to wads made from toilet paper, cocktail napkins, paper towels, Kleenex, whatever. Might look silly, but I care not.

coke

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2017, 05:14 pm »
For mowing, powertools, and other things around the house, I just use foam ear plugs since I get them free at work.

For shooting, I like to use foam ear plugs with electronic ear muffs over them.  Having in ear and over ear provides more than enough protection, and turning up the volume on the electronic muffs allows me to hear and have conversations  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jul 2017, 08:13 pm »
Having in ear and over ear provides more than enough protection

+1.
I double protect this way (though with passive ear muffs) each time I shoot.