BCD-3

sweetspot

Re: BCD-3
« Reply #40 on: 18 Aug 2017, 01:41 am »
I had heard that claim also. I did listen with the display on & off, but to my older ears,I did not hear any difference. I just prefer the disp lay off.  :thumb: :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #41 on: 18 Aug 2017, 12:49 pm »
Had my BCD-1 since 2008, it still works well but the dot matrix display has been losing dots for about the last 4 years and about 60% are gone now so it's virtually useless.
Should be replaceable...had mine serviced a few years ago and now appears to be holding up although I do have it turned off most of the time (the display that is).....just in case. :wink:
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2017, 06:15 pm by rob80b »

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #42 on: 30 Aug 2017, 09:25 pm »
 OK,  now that I have given my BCD3 a long workout let me say at this time I find the player is presenting a better sound stage with a greater sense  of space and air around instruments than the BCD1 ( which was also very good). :banana piano: There is certainly a degree of refinement in this unit . Cudos to Bryston for creating another great device that brings me closer to musical truth..... :thumb: :dance:

spinner

« Reply #43 on: 1 Sep 2017, 10:47 pm »
Had a fabulous  session with the new BCD3 today.....seems the bass is more focused and resolute...as well as what was said  before this is my nervana of redbook cd playback..... :bowdown:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #44 on: 1 Sep 2017, 11:44 pm »
Had a fabulous  session with the new BCD3 today.....seems the bass is more focused and resolute...as well as what was said  before this is my nervana of redbook cd playback..... :bowdown:

Really glad you are enjoying it spinner - I am constantly surprised by mine. :thumb:

james

spinner

« Reply #45 on: 3 Sep 2017, 10:52 pm »
 Love this pix of  my BCD3....shows those great  drive  guide rails....looks like a fine machine in all aspects...my thanks to Bryston and Dennis, my friend and adviser  at Hi FI Center , vancouver

:thumb: :rock: :weights: :dance:

Joe Frances

« Reply #46 on: 4 Sep 2017, 12:20 am »
Do most SACDs have a rebook layer that can be used with the BCD 3? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 4 Sep 2017, 12:39 am »
Do most SACDs have a rebook layer that can be used with the BCD 3?

Hi Joe

Yes if it's a hybrid version.

james

Mag

« Reply #48 on: 4 Sep 2017, 01:36 am »
Yes, you can play the cd layer of an sacd. But you should know that that layer is not cd redbook standard thickness.

It will sound better if you can rip it to a cd-r.

rmurray

« Reply #49 on: 4 Sep 2017, 10:54 pm »
Love this pix of  my BCD3....shows those great  drive  guide rails....looks like a fine machine in all aspects...my thanks to Bryston and Dennis, my friend and adviser  at Hi FI Center , vancouver

:thumb: :rock: :weights: :dance:
  Yes this is the kind of build quality that is a hallmark of Bryston products.... :thumb:

Joe Frances

« Reply #50 on: 5 Sep 2017, 11:27 pm »
Hi Joe

Yes if it's a hybrid version.

james

Thanks, James,  If I can play an SACD on the BCD 3, on the hybrid "layer" would there actually be a degradation of the sound quality relative to the sound of the full SACD "experience"?  And if so, what was Bryston's design intent in building the BCD 3 without SACD capability?  (My guess is that there are not enough SACDs out there to warrant that "effort", and building the best redbook CD player is a more worthy goal.  But don't let me put words in your mouth.)

Joe

PS:  I have a lovely Copland CD player from 1997 (HDCD another pretty much lost medium) which still functions although I am planning to put together a Bryston audio suite soon.  Nevertheless, with the BCD 3 (for Redbook) would the Bryston clearly sound "better" than the 1997 Copland?  I mean, has CD technology changed a lot in 20 years?  I am not being facetious, I has just been away for a long time, and am trying to catch up, and I am not aware of the state of the art.  Which is hard to do.  Thanks again.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #51 on: 5 Sep 2017, 11:58 pm »
Thanks, James,  If I can play an SACD on the BCD 3, on the hybrid "layer" would there actually be a degradation of the sound quality relative to the sound of the full SACD "experience"?  And if so, what was Bryston's design intent in building the BCD 3 without SACD capability?  (My guess is that there are not enough SACDs out there to warrant that "effort", and building the best redbook CD player is a more worthy goal.  But don't let me put words in your mouth.)

Joe

PS:  I have a lovely Copland CD player from 1997 (HDCD another pretty much lost medium) which still functions although I am planning to put together a Bryston audio suite soon.  Nevertheless, with the BCD 3 (for Redbook) would the Bryston clearly sound "better" than the 1997 Copland?  I mean, has CD technology changed a lot in 20 years?  I am not being facetious, I has just been away for a long time, and am trying to catch up, and I am not aware of the state of the art.  Which is hard to do.  Thanks again.

Hi Joe

CD playback has remained much the same for these many years - 44.1K and 16 BIT recording techniques but what has changed I think is the understanding of how to use digital tools to better improve the CD experience - recording as well as playback.

The reason we did not offer SACD is because we wanted to optimize Redbook CD playback and that requires a specific clocking frequency and dedicated CD drive. SACD drives are different and are clocked at a different frequency.

james

redbook

« Reply #52 on: 6 Sep 2017, 02:00 pm »
Exactly why I love the BCD1 and now the BCD3..... :thumb: :bowdown:

R. Daneel

« Reply #53 on: 10 Sep 2017, 07:34 am »
There's one other thing I think. Bryston has to cater the international market and when you average things out, adding SACD doesn't make much sense. SACD is still popular in Asia so that's why Japanese companies still invest in the format.

It's horses for courses. I've no doubt Bryston maxed out the performance of CD with the BCD-3.

redbook

« Reply #54 on: 10 Sep 2017, 08:23 pm »
 The new player (BCD3) is giving me a more refined version of the BCD1 on everything that I have played  through it so far. Thanks again to the "James Gang" for this great  player..... :thumb: :banana piano: :beer: :dance:
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2017, 04:12 pm by redbook »

rob80b

« Reply #55 on: 5 May 2018, 02:28 pm »
The new player (BCD3) is giving me a more refined version of the BCD1 on everything that I have played  through it so far. Thanks again to the "James Gang" for this great  player..... :thumb: :banana piano: :beer: :dance:

Hi Redbook

Curious if you had a chance to compare the BCD-3 to any more affordable players....reason I ask is that my BCD-1 is still acting up even after being in service 4 or 5 times...was expecting the BCD-1 to be my last CD player but not at the expense of premature baldness due to pulling out my hair each time it acts up. lol
I've contacted Mike...so maybe something can be done...if not I'll be in the market for a new player but I'm now on a semi-retirees budget so a BCD-3 is out of the picture. : (

rob80b

« Reply #56 on: 6 May 2018, 04:06 pm »
So...besides the odd reading error that occasionally shows up on the BCD-1 and I also see from post it also occurs on the BCD-3.... mine is now getting it with all discs, these are all commercially made discs...it'll work fine for a bit and then no go. : (

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #57 on: 6 May 2018, 06:03 pm »
Hi

I am not aware of it on the BDC 3 but on the 1 it usually indicates a bad drive.

James

redbook

« Reply #58 on: 6 May 2018, 06:09 pm »
 The reason  to move on to the new and better player was to avoid this issue of having a great player that can't be repaired. ( thank you  Mr. Phillips) :evil: : I have purchased a spare loader from Stream Unlimited just as  insurance  against future breakdowns. The BCD3 is a wonderful device and since I prefer to spin records  I want to be able use it for many years to come. :thumb:

rob80b

« Reply #59 on: 7 May 2018, 12:15 am »
Hi

I am not aware of it on the BDC 3 but on the 1 it usually indicates a bad drive.

James

I've emailed Mike...he's familiar with the little guy as it's been into service almost 1/2 dozen times already.. : ( Hopefully we can get it corrected as the BCD-1 is my main source for music enjoyment and hopefully last me a long time.