Picked up my RS8 monitors and DeepOmega 8 sub yesterday

roscoe65

Re: Picked up my RS8 monitors and DeepOmega 8 sub yesterday
« Reply #20 on: 2 Jul 2017, 11:11 pm »
Did you get a pair of Rythmik's standard F8, dual driver subs?  How do you like 'em?

.....Peter

I found a pair on the secondhand market - 30% off for a pair in piano black.

I like them a lot.  FYI - the standard F8 uses the same amp and driver as the midbass F8 but allows the drivers to run lower.  They are quick, match the SAM's perfectly, and are all I need for bass.  However, I wouldn't think of them as subwoofers in the HT sense.  They are better thought of as active bass modules.  I imagine they are similar to your single-woofer modules, but with a bit more bass and a lot more headroom.

When I stack the SAM on top of the F8 I have a speaker that is very similar to the Salk Exotica 3 ($11,999/pair).  They both have the same bass modules topped by high efficiency monitors (SAM in my case, Seas Exotica Monitor for Salk).  I can run the crossover all the way up to 200hz, which fills in the lean range of the SAM.  I'm using Nerf balls as removeable port plugs on the SAM.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #21 on: 2 Jul 2017, 11:29 pm »
I found a pair on the secondhand market - 30% off for a pair in piano black.

I like them a lot.  FYI - the standard F8 uses the same amp and driver as the midbass F8 but allows the drivers to run lower.  They are quick, match the SAM's perfectly, and are all I need for bass.  However, I wouldn't think of them as subwoofers in the HT sense.  They are better thought of as active bass modules.  I imagine they are similar to your single-woofer modules, but with a bit more bass and a lot more headroom.

When I stack the SAM on top of the F8 I have a speaker that is very similar to the Salk Exotica 3 ($11,999/pair).  They both have the same bass modules topped by high efficiency monitors (SAM in my case, Seas Exotica Monitor for Salk).  I can run the crossover all the way up to 200hz, which fills in the lean range of the SAM.  I'm using Nerf balls as removeable port plugs on the SAM.

Cool!  You must have the F8's on their end so the 11" width matches the SAMs.  20" tall though.  My SAM's sit at 12" off the floor, so you're quite a bit taller in your design. 

I was aware of the difference in lower extension.  I can go down to 30Hz, but I have them set at 50Hz and let the F12s take it from there down. 

roscoe65

« Reply #22 on: 3 Jul 2017, 12:51 am »
They are designed to sit on their ends and have threaded feet on one end.  The footprint is 11" x 15.5" including amp and grill, which works with the SAM's 11" x 14".  I use four Herbie's Fat Dots for each speaker.  The F8's are the same height as my Skylan stands for the SAM's.  That being said, I cannot be 100% sure that the SAM on top of the F8 is the best solution.  It is compact, but I may find that splitting the two might offer better performance.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #23 on: 3 Jul 2017, 03:27 pm »
They are designed to sit on their ends and have threaded feet on one end.  The footprint is 11" x 15.5" including amp and grill, which works with the SAM's 11" x 14".  I use four Herbie's Fat Dots for each speaker.  The F8's are the same height as my Skylan stands for the SAM's.  That being said, I cannot be 100% sure that the SAM on top of the F8 is the best solution.  It is compact, but I may find that splitting the two might offer better performance.

The F8's have phase adjustments.  I did the adjustment with mine and it seemed to make the bass a bit more defined, but hard to know for sure though given the time between listening and all the test tones between the initial and final settings.  The tower arrangement is so elegant, I don't want to break mine up.  But mine were finished the same with grain matching, so a little extra incentive to keep them stacked for me.