RSAD Sason Crates

aggielaw

RSAD Sason Crates
« on: 9 Jun 2017, 09:07 pm »
Brainiacs:

I have a problem.  I own a pair of Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason monitors.  They are granite and weight 140 pounds each.  Unfortunately, I move every two years on average due to work.  I've moved the Sasons myself four times since I purchased them.   I'm moving again at the end of the month, and have been unable to find RSAD's plans for crates for the Sasons. 

Does anyone here have crates or have the plans for the crates for the Sasons?  In the alternative, what materials would I need to have a local shop build crates for them?  I'm not confident the shops that would build the crates for me would understand what is required to protect the speaker.  Also, the front baffles are wood painted with an automotive-quality paint that I really don't want to scratch or chip.  How do I protect the paint?

Many thanks for your ideas!

HC

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: RSAD Sason Crates
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2017, 09:36 pm »
Since you move so often, perhaps consider getting a flight case made? The advantage being that the case can be useful for storing other things when it's not used for the speakers. Cut up some cheap foam boards from homedepot to hold it in place (or here's a nice trick: cut up pool noodles). Sew up an old cottage blanket as a cover and you're good to go.

If you want something to be super duper secure if you're afraid of it getting bumped around during transport, seal up the speakers (double bag it), place it in a reasonably close fitting container, and use a bottle of expanding spray foam insulation to fill in all the space.

Samac

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2017, 09:44 pm »
Can't help you with the crates or plans for them. For protecting the front baffles you might consider covering them with 3M Scotchblue Painters tape.

Cheers,

Scott

arthurs

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2017, 10:02 pm »
Howard, I would get and do the following:
Upholstery foam -1/2" roll
Shrink wrap
2" pe micro cell foam
Two large soft cotton pillow cases
Two pieces of cardboard that could be triimmed to size of speaker front baffle

Put the pillow cases over the speakers and trim to size