Amp for Magnepan 1.6

Elf1

Amp for Magnepan 1.6
« on: 5 Jun 2017, 09:42 pm »
Hello all
I am new to this forum. I am looking for options on pairing a Bryston amp with Maggie's 1.6 speakers.
I am using a Audio Research SP6 tube preamp and Adcom 5800 -250 watt amp. I realize my amp is not considered to be as refined as Bryston, it was reasonably priced. I cannot justify new amp, so please limit response to older amps with enough power to drive Maggie's.

Thanks
Elf1

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Amp for Magnepan 1.6
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jun 2017, 10:00 pm »
Welcome Elf1 :thumb:
How many Watts do you need to drive it?
Already considered Class D?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jun 2017, 10:05 pm »

mcgsxr

« Reply #3 on: 6 Jun 2017, 12:35 am »
Welcome to AC!

I owned and loved 1.6's for a year.  I really enjoyed them with a Crown XLS class D pro amp.

You should post in the planar circle here.  Tons of experiences and folks who will share what worked for them in that circle.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jun 2017, 02:33 am »
I would recommend a used Pass Labs X250 or 250.5.   I use an X250 with my 1.6's.  It blew away the Parasound A21 I was using.   Extreme dynamics, thunderous controlled bass, slightly warmer sound which the Maggies need IMHO.  Excellent air and transparency with a wide sound stage and no fatigue.

Other amps to consider, the AVA DVA 700, AVA 400R and 600R amps, McIntosh 452, Bel Canto to name a few.

http://www.avahifi.com/

usp1

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2017, 07:19 pm »
I have used Odyssey Stratos monos, Mccormack Dna-1 and now have a Dna-2. with my 1.6s. The DNA-2 are astoundingly good but the DNA-1 was very good as well. If you can find one used they are exceptional amps.

raindance

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2017, 11:28 am »
Your Adcom is decent amp and has plenty of power. It is not a harsh sounding amp and should have great treble extension. If it is in good condition (no hum from worn out smoothing caps) it should be a nice match. Spend your money on room treatments and/or a pair of decent subwoofers instead :)

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2017, 01:19 pm »
Welcome - lots of great amps and suggestions above.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2017, 02:24 pm »
  If it were me a SS amp of good quality and and a tubed preamp of good quality you cannot go wrong. If ya like tube amps just bring plenty of wattage along. Try: Parasound, Plinius, ArionHS500 , Roland, Oddesey, Bryston, Classe, Peachtree, Van Alstine for starters. Budget choices: NAD, Marantz, Yamaha.

charles