C&C amps for Omega

dB Cooper

C&C amps for Omega
« on: 30 May 2017, 04:20 pm »
What woud be good C&C amp for Omega monitor? I'm just tire kicking here but wondering what would be suitable besides low powered (but big buck) tube iron.

Armaegis

• slumming it between headphones and pro audio
Re: C&C amps for Omega
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2017, 04:33 pm »
Low powered but not big buck tube iron... http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54 (about $330 USD, and they sometimes have refurbs for cheaper)

I used to have one of these (mk1) and I thought it was quite good.

MarkR7

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2017, 05:05 pm »
Find a used pair of Temple Audio class D monoblocks from the UK (~$300-$400, used) and power them up via a car battery.  Nice review of them on Enjoy the Music.  Wonderful amps for the used dollar!

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2017, 05:33 pm »
Error

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 30 May 2017, 05:43 pm »
Antique Sound Labs (ASL) MG-SI 15DT.

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp021607.shtml

My local buddy has one.  Sounds fantastic on his Super 3XRS and my Super 7XRS.  Big tone, deep stage, incisive, musical, palpable and textured. 

About $500 used  (not sure if this is C&C).  But act quick......I'll likely grab the next one that appears!    :wink:

restrav

« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2017, 06:20 pm »
my experience with musical paradise was very positive. basically a budget primaluna which itself is a budget bob carver amp

seikosha

« Reply #6 on: 30 May 2017, 06:57 pm »
Here are some genuine low cost amps I've owned and played on Omegas in order of preference:

The 4 tube APPJ amp is really nice.  It's got a great tube sound with proper imaging and soundstaging.  Downside is that the volume control on mine doesn't track well at lower volumes.

The little Audioengine amp is a sleeper.  Really nice tone with the Omegas.  I believe Canada Rob is a fan of this one as well.

Derek's Fleawatt amps.  These are a little punchier and clinical than the above two and I could see how for some this would be their favorite.

Oh, actually my favorite is something you see on eBay occasionally or some of the Chinese sites.  It's a Chinese copy of a John Lindsey Hood Class A circuit.  It's got a great warm lush sound and can really dig into the mixes of recordings.  Nelson Pass himself has commented on this circuit favorably.

lloyd bruney

« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2017, 07:06 pm »
I really like my new Musical Paradise MP 303 intergrated with built in D A C for $188.00 plus $50.00 shipping it is hard to beat !

restrav

« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2017, 07:07 pm »
Here are some genuine low cost amps I've owned and played on Omegas in order of preference:

The 4 tube APPJ amp is really nice.  It's got a great tube sound with proper imaging and soundstaging.  Downside is that the volume control on mine doesn't track well at lower volumes.

The little Audioengine amp is a sleeper.  Really nice tone with the Omegas.  I believe Canada Rob is a fan of this one as well.

Derek's Fleawatt amps.  These are a little punchier and clinical than the above two and I could see how for some this would be their favorite.

Oh, actually my favorite is something you see on eBay occasionally or some of the Chinese sites.  It's a Chinese copy of a John Lindsey Hood Class A circuit.  It's got a great warm lush sound and can really dig into the mixes of recordings.  Nelson Pass himself has commented on this circuit favorably.

HOW may one find this nelson approve amp on ebay? a namme? a link?

seikosha

« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2017, 07:19 pm »
Wouldn't you know it....I did a quick search, but there are none out there right now.  Shame because it's a nice amp and could be bought for about 200 US dollars.   Perhaps all the stock has sold out.  When they do appear, they can be found by searching "jlh class a"

It's about 8-10 watts.   Kind of a poor mans First Watt.  The design is very old...there's been lots of talk about it on the DIY forums over the years.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2017, 08:30 pm »
Class D amps actually seem to work pretty well and can be inexpensive. Folsom's amp would also be a good choice if you don't mind DIY... or a used tube amp.

Slam

« Reply #11 on: 31 May 2017, 02:41 pm »
Wouldn't you know it....I did a quick search, but there are none out there right now.  Shame because it's a nice amp and could be bought for about 200 US dollars.   Perhaps all the stock has sold out.  When they do appear, they can be found by searching "jlh class a"

It's about 8-10 watts.   Kind of a poor mans First Watt.  The design is very old...there's been lots of talk about it on the DIY forums over the years.

Is this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finished-Hood-1969-Gold-Seal-Class-A-HIFI-Amplifier-10W-10W-110-220V-ZJ-23-/131801873279?var=&hash=item1eb000fb7f:m:m2K-4HKMWrHjLnSP4mOo6ew

EDIT: Looks like you can find this amp on eBay and Amazon under a search for Hood Amplifier. They are all in the 2-300 range.

to the OP: I use a Marantz 2015b for my Omegas and it gets plenty loud in my largish room

seikosha

« Reply #12 on: 31 May 2017, 02:45 pm »
Yep, that's it....what a shame though that they have to cheapen it with that fake Krell logo.

Slam

« Reply #13 on: 31 May 2017, 02:53 pm »
Yep, that's it....what a shame though that they have to cheapen it with that fake Krell logo.

Yes the Krell logo is kind of odd. Available on Amazon from Nobsound, though the review states "Be aware though that this unit has no protection circuitry whatsoever: If you handle this thing improperly, you absolutely can and will kill yourself; same as any class A amp, handling and operation of this unit requires caution. Just be careful, keep it in a place with proper airflow, keep it firmly out of the reach of children or pets, and you should be just fine."

A bit concerning. Is that accurate?

seikosha

« Reply #14 on: 31 May 2017, 03:08 pm »
I'm sure the capacitors maintain a pretty serious charge.  If you started fooling around with it even with the power off and unplugged and you didn't discharge the caps, you could be in for a not so pleasant surprise.  And yes, same with tube amps...depending on the design, they can store lethal voltages.

I know when I turn mine off, it will play music for quite awhile as the caps drain.

jMelvin

« Reply #15 on: 1 Jun 2017, 10:30 am »
I'm very happy with my APPJ PA0901A and Fleawatt TPA3116D2 integrateds. So much goodness for so little cash.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 1 Jun 2017, 11:31 am »
Find a used pair of Temple Audio class D monoblocks from the UK (~$300-$400, used) and power them up via a car battery.  Nice review of them on Enjoy the Music.  Wonderful amps for the used dollar!

+1

Just picked up a XLR pair new for $723 USD including shipping from England and PayPal fees.  Took 19 days to receive and numerous emails to get specific product and tracking info.  Using them with the supplied wall wart, at least for now.  Very clear/dynamic sound with plenty of power for any Omega speaker (70 watts), feather weight yet well built, and tiny (5" x 6" x 2").