Solid State vs. Tube power amps: PASS Labs XA30.5 vs. ...

Big Red Machine

Re: Solid State vs. Tube power amps: PASS Labs XA30.5 vs. ...
« Reply #80 on: 19 Jul 2017, 03:09 pm »
On the meter, yes I own this very amp.  this write up in Stereophile 2009 nails it and its the way mine operates. ""According to Nelson Pass
that the front-panel meter,  which  indicates  the  amount  of  current being drawn from the wall, “should
sit somewhere in the middle” and “won’t move if you’re running in class-A.” During  most  of  my  listening  sessions,  the
meter would bounce between the middle and, say, the three-quarters point of its range.""

Curious your speaker efficiency rating. I had a X350.5 once with 84 db Salks and it was nice but I thought the Wyred Class D was better. With the new .8's and XA's I am curious once again to try another Pass amp but with 93 db now I always wondered if an X30 would be enough juice.

kingdeezie

« Reply #81 on: 19 Jul 2017, 05:40 pm »
Curious your speaker efficiency rating. I had a X350.5 once with 84 db Salks and it was nice but I thought the Wyred Class D was better. With the new .8's and XA's I am curious once again to try another Pass amp but with 93 db now I always wondered if an X30 would be enough juice.

BRM,

Unless your Exotica 3s are wired differently than mine, you can't use any of the Pass amplifiers with them. With the way that the Pass Lab amplifier function, they are "live" on both the positive and negative leads. The Rythmik amplifier needs to see a ground connection, or else it is open to damage.

This was verified with both Brian Ding and Jim. If you have the standard connection of the Exotica 3s, with the main amplifier providing voltage to the sub amp, you can't use the Pass amplifiers.

It is a shame. I moved my Exotica 3s into my living room for HT, and have been using a Pass Labs XA30.8 with Daedalus speakers to fantastic results.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #82 on: 20 Jul 2017, 10:50 pm »
That supremely sucks. I have no idea what SS amps are worth trying now.

sabciu

• Enjoy The Music!!
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jul 2017, 03:08 am »
That supremely sucks. I have no idea what SS amps are worth trying now.

I have a VanAlstine FET Valve 600R Amp that will probably be a great piece for you, and it's a hybrid Amp. Frank uses tubes with this SS Amp. I just listed it in the For Sale "Aplification" section. Check out the reviews and see if it's something that will interest you.

RDavidson

« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2017, 03:24 am »
BRM,

Unless your Exotica 3s are wired differently than mine, you can't use any of the Pass amplifiers with them. With the way that the Pass Lab amplifier function, they are "live" on both the positive and negative leads. The Rythmik amplifier needs to see a ground connection, or else it is open to damage.

This was verified with both Brian Ding and Jim. If you have the standard connection of the Exotica 3s, with the main amplifier providing voltage to the sub amp, you can't use the Pass amplifiers.

It is a shame. I moved my Exotica 3s into my living room for HT, and have been using a Pass Labs XA30.8 with Daedalus speakers to fantastic results.

I understand there are complexities with this, but a normal ground is provided on Pass amps :
https://www.passlabs.com/press/connecting-pass-labs-amps-powered-subwoofer-0
Note that the .8 series amps have this feature also. Look into it. The folks at Pass are super helpful. Give them a call.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #85 on: 21 Jul 2017, 10:50 am »
So you would tap into the actual 0 volt ground instead of the black speaker terminal? There isn't much verbiage in that link...

Big Red Machine

« Reply #86 on: 22 Jul 2017, 05:04 pm »
Jim gave me the solution. Not too hard to implement.

RDavidson

« Reply #87 on: 22 Jul 2017, 11:18 pm »
Yeah. I was just pointing out that you CAN still get a Pass amp as there IS a workaround for your situation. I don't know the particulars, which is why I suggested calling Pass Labs. :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #88 on: 23 Jul 2017, 01:05 am »
Yeah. I was just pointing out that you CAN still get a Pass amp as there IS a workaround for your situation. I don't know the particulars, which is why I suggested calling Pass Labs. :thumb:

I exchanged a few emails with them Friday and they were a little confusled on my situation but Jim gave me the answer today on how to do it. A small wiring change to the speaker and plate amp.