Is this a bad idea?

Rfglock

Is this a bad idea?
« on: 11 May 2017, 05:09 pm »
Hi guys,
This feels like blasphemy but bear with me.  I have moved into a new house and am considering repurposing my super v's. Would it work to use them as rear surrounds and then use the sub section for lfe only in a theater setup?  What would be the drawbacks of this setup if any?   Also wanting to figure out what the best way to wire everything would be.  The likely alternative would be to sell the super v and buy subs/rear surround speakers.  Thanks in advance.

Shakeydeal

Re: Is this a bad idea?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2017, 05:29 pm »
Before I would bastardize the Super Vs, I would sell them to someone else. They are just too good to be repurposed the way you want to use them. My vote is to get something else for HT duties and let those go if you really can't get them to work in the new room.

Shakey

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2017, 06:04 pm »
That's like taking the ferrari out just to get groceries from the corner liquor store.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2017, 06:08 pm »
Before I would bastardize the Super Vs, I would sell them to someone else. They are just too good to be repurposed the way you want to use them. My vote is to get something else for HT duties and let those go if you really can't get them to work in the new room.

Agreed.

If you must use them for HT, make them your front speakers and run them full range. No need for a separate HT sub. Add a center channel and surrounds, and you're done.   

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 11 May 2017, 06:47 pm »
You cannot use that subsection for HT. The OB setup is not designed to handle the infrasonics found in LFE tracks. They will play along fine until a big special effect, like a star destroyer flying over, happens then the drivers will bottom out.

Brian Ding of Rythmik confirmed the OB subs are designed for music, not HT. If you have OB subs for your main speakers you still need a sealed or ported sub for the HT sub out / .1 / LFE channel.

Mike

Early B.

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2017, 07:12 pm »
You cannot use that subsection for HT. The OB setup is not designed to handle the infrasonics found in LFE tracks. They will play along fine until a big special effect, like a star destroyer flying over, happens then the drivers will bottom out.

Brian Ding of Rythmik confirmed the OB subs are designed for music, not HT. If you have OB subs for your main speakers you still need a sealed or ported sub for the HT sub out / .1 / LFE channel.

OK, but it seems odd that the servo amp includes instructions on Brian's website for hooking it up to an HT receiver. Also, would engaging the rumble filter help prevent the drivers from bottoming out?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2017, 07:29 pm »
That's like taking the ferrari out just to get groceries from the corner liquor store.
What exactly are your dining habits??  Beer nuts and jerky? 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2017, 08:32 pm »
OK, but it seems odd that the servo amp includes instructions on Brian's website for hooking it up to an HT receiver. Also, would engaging the rumble filter help prevent the drivers from bottoming out?

Nope, won't work. I found this out the hard way last year with a client. We tried every combination and permutation there was and the drivers would still bottom out on the heavy hitting scenes. That's when I called Brian and found out OB and LFE don't play nice together.

It hadn't come up for me before because I had a sealed sub in my system connected to the LFE output with the AVR's main speakers confighred as "Full Range" and the bass management configured for "LFE Only". Which it turns out is what you have to do to use OB with HT.

Mike

ebag4

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2017, 10:02 pm »
Going this direction, your rears would only play from 200Hz and up, that is where the coax is crossed in the V1/SuperV as I recall.  You would still have to have the coaxes 3' from the rear/side wall.

I would sell before dismantling and using them in a bad application, but that's just me.  I agree that a better solution would be to use them as L & R Front Mains using a separate sub for LFE.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Best,
Ed

Rfglock

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2017, 05:23 am »
Thanks everybody.  That's in line with what I was afraid of.  I guess there will be a new fs thread coming soon...

Shakeydeal

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2017, 10:55 am »
As sad as that is for you, someone else is in for a treat....... :D

Shakey

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2017, 06:08 pm »
You could always use them as full range surrounds, just add a sealed or ported sub for the LFE channel.

Rfglock

« Reply #12 on: 12 May 2017, 07:30 pm »
Honestly they're just too good to relegate to rear surround duty.  I posted them fs in the trading post for  $3000 but I'd be ok with $2500 if anybody here is interested

Shakeydeal

« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2017, 09:59 pm »
So your new room is too small for them to work?

Shakey

Rfglock

« Reply #14 on: 13 May 2017, 01:35 am »
Yes and no...theater room not ideal and wife won't let me put them in the living Room.  Some battles you just can't win....I really hope they can go to a good home. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2017, 02:01 am »
Yes and no...theater room not ideal and wife won't let me put them in the living Room.  Some battles you just can't win....I really hope they can go to a good home.

I hear that. My wife won't let me put my NX-Otica monitors and H-Frame subs in the living room either.

ebag4

« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2017, 03:31 am »
I hear that. My wife won't let me put my NX-Otica monitors and H-Frame subs in the living room either.
Same here :(, would be a much better space.

Best,
Ed

Early B.

« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2017, 04:08 am »
You guys need to man up. There was a time when my wife preferred that I didn't put my dual OB subs in the den. My advice is to do it anyway (tell her it's temporary if you have to), then sit her down and play her favorite music. After that, you won't hear another word about it.

ebag4

« Reply #18 on: 13 May 2017, 04:22 am »
You guys need to man up. There was a time when my wife preferred that I didn't put my dual OB subs in the den. My advice is to do it anyway (tell her it's temporary if you have to), then sit her down and play her favorite music. After that, you won't hear another word about it.
In what we would consider the den I have a 110" front projection screen running Tyler acoustics Taylos across the LCR and a 4x15" Acoustic Elegance IB sub setup, so the den is no problem, it's the great room/ living room that's off limits.  Poor me, a real first world problem :lol:.

Best,
Ed

Shakeydeal

« Reply #19 on: 13 May 2017, 10:37 am »
Well, in my humble opinion, putting them in anything but a dedicated two channel system is a waste anyway.  I am  of the mind that dual purpose systems always compromise the performance of one or the other format due to either speaker placement or electronics. Both can sound good, but neither is optimized.

While I'm sure they can perform very nicely with movies, so can a myriad of other speakers. These sing (pun intended) best with music.

Sell them if you have to. At 2500.00, you should have no problem.

Shakey