Abbe's Honduras Medical Mission and Pictures of Auction Items

popthinker

It’s time to get involved with the annual fundraiser for Abbe’s medical mission.

Yes, another thread about the fundraiser…but this one has the silent auction items! See below, and come back often as the list will grow – thanks to people like you.

We’d LOVE to see you at Dave Sheckleton's house on Sunday, June 4th from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. for the culmination of the annual silent auction and for some general camaraderie. Bring some friends. And if you can’t come but want to help, you can! Read on…

Each year Abbe is part of a local medical team that travels to Honduras to deliver much-needed care and compassion to a small mountain village, Guanacaste. Last year they expanded the effort to a second village, Aguacate, a very remote community of 400.

The results have been amazing.
•   Better health and better nutrition
•   A self-sustaining chicken coop that helps feed the village
•   A new school, built by the community from materials we supplied, that enables children to learn with a roof over their head, with electricity … and even computers!

GAS members have been a big part of that. We could really use your help in 2017 to purchase medicine and medical supplies.

Here are some of the people that your past donations have helped:

If you can’t make the event, would you consider making a donation to the mission? Or passing the information and link to some friends? If you choose to contribute, please put ‘for the summer mission trip’ or ‘for Guanacaste’ in the comments field on the donation page so your gift goes to the right mission. Thank you!

DONATE

The money you contribute will go to purchase vitamins, medications for people with chronic illnesses, fluoride dental treatments and dental supplies, and buy other items that help improve the lives of the villagers. As a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Federal Tax Code, the amount you donate is tax deductible.

The amount you bid on the items you win in the silent auction is tax deductible, too. Check out the items up for grabs this year.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 03:25 am by popthinker »

kentj1948

Re: A great cause and its silent auction
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2017, 06:42 pm »
We are starting a list of items that have been donated to the silent auction.  The opening bid is noted for each item. 

Donations are very welcome.  If you have any audio-related items you no longer need, consider donating them and taking a tax-deduction.

Rebuild of Parts Express RB-1 speaker.  $125

Hafler DH-160 equalizer, with manual, mounting hardware and box.  $25

DBX 3BX mk iii dynamic range expander, with manual, mounting ears, and box.  $300

Coby HDR-650 AM/FM/HD tuner, with remote, manual, and power supply.  $25

Logitech Squeezebox Duet, with remote, manual, AC adapters, cables.  $45

Lightweight 20 inch all-metal speaker stands.  $10

CDs

LPs

Accessory Items.

SHOWGIRLS VIP EDITION.  UNOPENED BOX includes DVD, shot glasses, playing cards, and pin the pasties on the Showgirl game.   This cult classic can be yours in the best edition ever offered.  (Liam, you will need to bring a note from your mother allowing you to bid.)  Priceless but we'll take bids starting at 20 bucks.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2017, 07:35 pm by kentj1948 »

Baumli

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2017, 05:57 am »
Dear folks,

I will have a significant list of items very soon, much of it wire--PCs, ICs, no speaker cables. Some very exotic finds!

I just wanted to comment on a couple of things: I didn't even know Hafler ever made an equalizer! And I thought I really knew their equipment! I guess that vintage trove will never cease to give us surprises.

And as for those speakers: I'm going to take John to task when I see him. He told me "I'm not really a speaker builder." Well; then how does he explain ... ?

Thank you to everyone for your contributions. This meeting is going to be the mother of them all, I think. And there's even going to be a whiskey sampling contest. I mean, opportunity. We'll have, arrayed together, four types of Jack Daniel's: "Old No. 7," (also known as "Black Label"), "Tennessee Honey," "Gentleman Jack," and "Single Barrel." We'll see who does and doesn't know their whiskey.

And don't worry. I won't drink myself under the table or get obnoxious. I always conduct myself properly in such situations. I just politely pass out.

I'm looking forward to it!

Francis Baumli

Baumli

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2017, 03:50 am »
We are starting a list of items that have been donated to the silent auction.  The opening bid is noted for each item. 

Donations are very welcome.  If you have any audio-related items you no longer need, consider donating them and taking a tax-deduction.

Rebuild of Parts Express RB-1 speaker.  $125

Hafler DH-160 equalizer, with manual, mounting hardware and box.  $25

DBX 3BX mk iii dynamic range expander, with manual, mounting ears, and box.  $300

Coby HDR-650 AM/FM/HD tuner, with remote, manual, and power supply.  $25

Logitech Squeezebox Duet

Lightweight 20 inch all-metal speaker stands.  $10

**(a few of FRANCIS BAUMLI'S CONTRIBUTIONS)

**Craftsman bottle opener:
**Channellock bottle opener: OPENING BID: $6. sold as a pair.

**2 Music Mugs (OPENING BID: $10.) (Note: sold as set.)
**silver crucifix (OPENING BID: $5.)
**"Ave Maria" music box (OPENING BID: $5.)
**"The Lord's Prayer" music box (OPENING BID: $5.)
**ceramic hand-made bowl (OPENING BID: $7.)
**hand-made metal mesh bowl (OPENING BID: 5.)
**"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" kit: CD, DVD, & screenplay book (OPENING BID: $10.)

(NOTE BY BAUMLI: The above items are to give a non-audio alternative to the sale. One of our eminent members referred to them as "lady enticements," but I won't divulge his name since he might unfairly be accused of sexism.)

**LP record weight made by Gabriel Batson of Tufts & Batson. This one is made of gorgeous  cherry wood. It was hand-turned, sanded, polished, and 7 coats of tung oil were applied, including inside the hole, thus to seal it perfectly against any future warping. OPENING BID: $35.

**8 D.H. Labs RCA-2c male ends (4 new; 4 used) (OPENING BID: $12.) (NOTE BY BAUMLI: I am donating these myself. Check on the DH Labs site for the amazing copper purity. But they require a small-diameter wire, which is why I could not use them.)
**4 Cardas male RCA ends (used, in like new condition) (OPENING BID: $12.) (NOTE BY BAUMLI: These also I donated. I took them off and went to the expensive Cardas "Ultimate" ends.)
**12 Apature male RCA ends--locking (used) (OPENING BID: $14.) (NOTE BY BAUMLI: Here too I am the donor. These got changed out for Cardas "Ultimate" ends. But their sound is amazing. I needed to get away from them because the arthritis in my hands makes it about impossible to handle a locking RCA when it is right up against another RCA.)
**4 Vibrapod support cones (OPENING BID: $12.)

MANY SOUND RECORDINGS, LPs & CDs: (NOTE BY BAUMLI: Many of these sound recordings--both LPs and CDs--will be sold in "bundles," i.e., the jazz LPs as a group, the rock LPs as a group, etc. But some, the "highlights" so to speak, will be sold separately. Some of these highlights include:

**LP: Emmylou Harris "Gliding Bird" (rare Jubilee record, called the "cheesecake pressing) [Obviously, with Emmylou Harris, to call it "cheesecake" all it takes is one bared, albeit comely, shoulder]. OPENING BID: $35.
**LP: as above, but an even more rare pressing; this one was the DJ promo pressing; jacket is in a tinted black-and-white "color" (OPENING BID: $40.)

(NOTE BY BAUMLI: Sorry, but the above two LPs got mixed around in the picture. Please allow the mistake. I cleaned and auditioned both of these LPs, and can vouche that they are in excellent condition.)

**LP: Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" (in blue-colored vinyl; new & 180-gram!) (OPENING BID: $10.)
**LP: "Nostalgia Suite" by Roger Kellaway & The Cello Quintet (an original Discwasher audiophile pressing!) (OPENING BID: $7.)

**19 jacketed 45-rpm records, classical, spoken word, miscellaneous (OPENING BID: $5 for all.)
**CD: "The Best of Sade" (rare Japanese import) (OPENING BID: $7.)
**CD: "Bill Clinton jam session" (Yes; it's our former prez. Bill Clinton jamming on his sax!) (OPENING BID: $7.)

**CD: "Autoharp Legacy" (a new, 3-CD set, very rare) (OPENING BID: $13.)

NOTE: ALL WIRE IS NEW EXCEPT FOR THE TICE POWER CORD. MOST, BUT NOT ALL, IS IN ORIGINAL PACKAGING.

**Power Cord: Silnote "Poseidon" @ 1-M, cryo-treated, 12-gauge (two) OPENING BID: $150 each. (NOTE BY BAUMLI: One of the best PCs I have auditioned in my system. My system is all solid-state; these sound even better with tube components.)
**Power Cord: Acoustic Research 1.5-M, re-terminated and re-jacketed. (This is the one Sam Tellig raved about.) OPENING BID: $30.
**Power Cord: Kimber Kable AC-14 @ 6-feet w/ rat-tail end for hard-wiring an existing component. (OPENING BID: $15.)
**Interconnect: AudioQuest "Black Mamba 2" @ 1-M w/ silver RCAs (OPENING BID: $40.) (NOTE BY BAUMLI: The best IC I have tried, period. I have one in my system now, and if no one wants this one, I will gladly take it.)
**Power Cord: Analysis Plus "Pure Power Cord" @ 1-M (oval construction) (two) OPENING BID: $100 EACH.
**Interconnect: Kimber Kable 1.5-M "PBJ" (OPENING BID: $35.)

**Power Cord: "Signal Cable" made by Signal Hi-Fi @ 1.5-M, 12-gauge (OPENING BID: $40.)

**Power Cord: Cardas "Cross" with Furutech ends (!!) @ 10-feet (OPENING BID: $100.)
**Power Cord: Cardas "Cross" with Furutech ends (!!) @ 12-feet (OPENING BID: $110.)
(NOTE BY BAUMLI: Please do not overlook the fact that these are factory NOS, and they have the Furutech ends. That is $150 worth of ends on each cord, not counting the wire! And yes; the Furutech ends do sound significantly better than the ones being used by the factory now. The current factory ones are very good, but not as good as the Furutech. Why did they switch? One of the people at the factory told me it was very simple. They could manufacture ends for about $25 each. But they had to pay full price for the Furutech ends, so using Furutech ends wiped out their profit margin, and also wiped out sales opportunities.)

**Power Cord: Acoustic Zen "Tsunami III" @ 1-M (OPENING BID: $65.)
**Power Cord: Acoustic Zen "Tsunami III" @ 5-feet (OPENING BID: $75.)
NOTE BY BAUMLI: This is Robert Lee's latest incarnation of the long-revered "Tsunami." The "III" is different in that it has zero-crystal ends (whereas in earlier versions of the "Tsunami" the wire itself was always zero-crystal, but the ends were not). Plus this one has a very small single strand of ribbon copper right down the middle of the main copper in each leg, which is intended to better handle the highs.

**Monster Cable dual-bananas: 2 sets of 2 (OPENING BID: $10.)
**Power Cord: Apature @ 6-feet (A Kimber Kable clone made by Kimber Kable, and with a sound identical to certain of their modesl!) OPENING BID: $30.oo
**Power Cord: Tice "Power Conductor 2" (TPT treated @ 6') (A true vintage cord, and in Baumli's opinion, the best-sounding piece of wire ever in this auction.) Has four-way switchable tone control box that is in-line to mains. (OPENING BID: $90.oo.) (NOTE BY BAUMLI: In truth, this is what I would call about a four-hundred dollar PC. I am starting the bid low to learn how bidding happens on this sort of item. I suspect it will be coveted by many. I have information explaining the tone-control box, which will be given to the winning bidder.)

(SUMMARY NOTE BY BAUMLI: Some of this wire I myself auditioned. Some I did not, for lack of time, and also certain items I did not want to remove from their factory-sealed box or package. All wire, except for my pristine auditioning with some pieces, is new except for the Tice PC.)

« Last Edit: 4 Jun 2017, 03:18 am by Baumli »

daves

Let's have a shout out for RSVPs, and hopefully a commitment to bring foodstuffs or a dish. This will help with planning!

Thanks, Dave

Blackmore

Hi Dave, I'll be out of town for the festivities. Sorry to miss this as I had a great time last year.

daves

No problem, Mark. We will catch you next year!

popthinker

I'll be there and will bring a veggie plate of some kind (with dip, of course).

daves

Thanks, Debbie! We look forward to you and Mel again :-)

daves

These items on the coffee table and dinette are being reserved for door prizes, and pop up items for bidding at the event.

mjmsound

Re: Abbe's Honduras Medical Mission and Pictures of Auction Items
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2017, 12:57 pm »
I'll do my best to be there.

JohnH12

• John H
« Reply #11 on: 24 May 2017, 12:33 am »
Speakers in tow, I'll be there for a bit.  If anyone want any early listening session drop me a PM and I can drop off or you can stop by.

Baumli

« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2017, 06:38 am »
Dear John,

You are most generous. And I shall look forward to seeing this latest iteration that represents your secret guild.

Can you tell us what brand of drivers is in those cabinets? Or is such a request an example of looking a gift horse in the mouth?

All the best,

Francis Baumli

JohnH12

• John H
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2017, 01:41 am »
Francis, are you smitten with the the idea of something unique?

The skinny on these speakers were that they a challenge to use a stock speaker cabinet from Parts Express.  The PE BR-1 cabinets were available so I chose a few Dayton drivers that would fit and designed a custom crossover to match.  The woofers are the new Dayton DSA series with copper voice coils and decent distortion.

While this is not a high-end design, those people who are considering a set of speakers from Best Buy could do much better buying these. 

For those who find value in squiggly lines, here is a graph of the frequency response with the near field response blended in. The low frequency response extends to an F3 of 41 hz.  The tweeter to mid-woofer crossover is at about 1,900 Hz with Linkwitz Riley 4th order slopes.

daves

« Reply #14 on: 26 May 2017, 02:18 pm »
It is the week prior to the event, and we are testing the family room setup out. We have a Sony cd player, Ming Da 2A3 preamp, Harman Kardon Citation II amp all driving a pair of IMF Reference 80 MKII speakers. With the Telarc Fiesta! cd, it sounds great on the trumpet flourishes.

daves

« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2017, 09:03 pm »
After some swapping, we will have the Fairchild 275s available for listening in the kitchen, with the JuicyMusic Merlin preamp, the Sony cd player, and the Altec Model 19s. The Sun Audio SV2A3 is standing by to be pressed into service as desired, also.

daves

« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2017, 09:08 pm »
We made a Pit stop (ahemm) at Friar Tuck's on Watson, and found some very tasty libations to augment the Jack Daniels lineup, and the varied single malts. I have taken a shine to some beers brewed at a couple Trappist monasteries in Belgium, and they happened to have some Sixes on hand this time, and Colleen decided we needed some American Lambics and pilsners as well. She wouldn't let me put the wines in amongst the beers, and she noted the guys won't oft stray into wine tasting with the other opportunities for quaffing.

daves

« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2017, 09:19 pm »
The main system in the den is in a flux at the moment. I would like to run the JuicyMusic Blueberry preamp with the Sean Casper WE91A inspired tube amp, and BOTH a Sony CD player and a Thorens TD125 MKII with a Shure V15 cartridge, but there is a hum in the Thorens I don't care for. I am going to swap in a Pioneer TT with a V15 and see if we can make the hum disappear, so we can readily have a TT.

kentj1948

A few more items have been donated to next Sunday's auction.  These items come from Keith Herron of Herron Audio.  They include:

Tektronix 468 Digital scope.  Starts at $100

Tektronix R7704 scope.  Starts at  $125

Tektronix 7603 scope.  Starts at $110

BK Precision Function Generator.  Starts at $50

Instek Frequency Counter.  Starts at $65

NAD C516BEE CD Player with remote, manual.  $10

Tandberg Reel to Reel Stereo tape deck, Model 64X.  Needs new belts, which are included.  Might have other issues.  $?

Sony Digital Audio Processor PCM-501ES.  Believed to be in working order.  No way to test. $50

Belkin AC Line Conditioner, Model AP 41300-10.  Nice looking unit with 13 total conditioned outlets.  $75

Sony 24 inch LCD Monitor.  $10

« Last Edit: 31 May 2017, 07:23 pm by kentj1948 »

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
« Reply #19 on: 31 May 2017, 04:33 pm »
I plan to stop by to check out these Fairchilds!

What is on the needed food list?