Help!

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
Help!
« on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:03 pm »

Hey all - long time, I know.  Question for you.  Looking for a good ON WALL mounted speaker for my screened in porch.  They'll be supplemented with a sub, so the low end isn't important.  Anyone have any recommendations? 

I'm using a Musical Fidelity integrated 100+ wpc integrated to power what I have now, which are some old Klipsch wall mounteds that I'm not thrilled with. 

As usual, don't wanna spend a ton but a couple or three hundred bux is cool.  I don't wanna have to use speaker stands, they must be wall mounted.  All suggestions welcome!  Thanks - Kirch

vinyldavid

• Collectorious Giganticus
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2017, 06:18 am »
Electrovoice made a mounting bracket for the Sentry 100A studio monitor speaker that allowed it (and other speakers of its size) to be mounted to a wall.

The ElectroVoice Sentry 100A is about 16x10x10.  The bracket was called the WB23.

Here's one on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Electrovoice-WB23-Wall-Mount-Kit-for-Sentry-500-Speaker-EV-/400583619133?hash=item5d44a4f23d:g:1wUAAOxyAZ9STt~e

EV Sentry 100A's would be overkill for your application, and I don't know how the foam and the MDF cabinet would fare, but it would sure sound nice.

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:16 pm »
you could do a pair of Niles outdoor speakers. They come with their own mounting hardware. For better sound B&W have a great pair of outdoor rated speakers, the AM1 . They run $600pr. The Niles you'll often find on line for discounted prices.

kirch

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:17 pm »
I've read decent things about the Niles speakers.  Just so many options, hard to pull the trigger on something.  They're priced right - cheaper than the B&W's too.  Thanks!

daves

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:34 pm »
Kirch, I have a pair of Grant Fidelity LS3/5A knockoffs that would be perfect, except they are slightly above your price range, and piano gloss black. I would imagine those KSB1s to be a little etched in that patio setting.

kirch

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2017, 01:57 pm »
Hi Dave - The Klipsch's are just really dull.  I've had them forever.  They do the job but, blah.  My goal is to find something that has mid and high definition, which these don't, very flat.  Again, lows, not important. 

I don't listen at very high volume either, as I live in the city and don't wanna disturb the neighbors who live just a few feet away. 

And again, they have to be wall mounted, not on a stand.

youravhandyman

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2017, 04:53 pm »
KEF T301's are nice and flat for wall hanging.  I've used them several times in home theaters and once they break in they really put out some nice sound.  The T301 are about $579 a pair retail and the smaller T101 are about $379.  Sub is required.  Sorry for the huge image link.  Pictured are the 301's.

JohnH12

• John H
« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2017, 12:50 am »
Hard to go wrong with Continuum kit by Jeff Bagby

kirch

« Reply #8 on: 15 Apr 2017, 02:17 pm »
Thanks for the input everyone - I went with the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR.

Cheap and surprising.  Very surprising.  There were over 600 reviews on Amazon and they got just under five stars.  Was thinking Elac Debut 6 but figured I'd go cheap and return these if need be and upgrade to the Elacs if I felt the need.  Got the Pioneers from Wikibuy for $112 delivered.  Strangely they were delivered from Best Buy where they sell for $129 online.  Go figure.

Low expectations, or at least I assumed they'd be ok, maybe a step up from the old Klipsch's I had out here.  Right outta the box I was impressed.  Put on Lyle Mays first solo album.  Good dynamic range and well recorded.  Instantly impressed with the bass and the highs.  My Musical Fidelity integrated can roll off some of the highs on a lot of speakers but I didn't feel that here.

The bass is surprisingly good, although I still may incorporate the sub I have out here.  After a little listening this morning I'm certain it's a very well done crossover and midrange that makes these budget speakers sound so nice. 

I'm gonna pull them from the patio after they're broken in and put them in my living room to see how good they sound there.  Nothing wrong with good and cheap!  We get used to spending an arm and a leg on some of this stuff.  Nice to know it's not always necessary.

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2017, 03:20 pm by kirch »