New Toys

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
New Toys
« on: 3 Apr 2017, 08:16 pm »
Gents, I found a mint pair of Spendor SP-1's in Canada.  They are now in the man-cave.  Perfect mates to a PassDIY VFET amplifier and Broslie Aikido preamp I am (slowly) building.  88-89 dB / watt.  They are physically perfect...I am still evaluating them sonically, BUT they sound a lot like a pair of Spendor BC-1's I heard many years ago.  (They, as I recall, gave my Quad ESL-57's a real run for the money !)

More to come.

Blackmore

Re: New Toys
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2017, 09:12 pm »
Nice Don.  :thumb:

electricbear

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2017, 01:22 pm »
Nice. I just scooped up a pair of old NHT1 in great condition for $85. They'll be going into the vinyl only system that I'm putting together.

mjmsound

« Reply #3 on: 4 Apr 2017, 10:58 pm »
Supper nice. :thumb: If we are talking about new toys, I got a pair of B&W N804's and to drive them an ARC D90B. 8)

abanks8

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:07 pm »
Torus power conditioner. Made me a believer.

abanks8

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2017, 12:10 pm »
Here's a picture of the inside

jibzilla

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2017, 07:01 pm »
Nice speakers. Got some new toys myself. Sony APM 4's

dcbingaman

• Industry Participant
  • VPE Aerospace Consulting, LLC - LDW Model 1
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2017, 03:33 am »
Well I did some auditioning with my good ole Arcam AVR 200 receiver.  They are as sweet as Robert Greene wrote so many moons ago.  Midrange to die for.  They are giving my Vandy Quatro Woods a real scare. 

Of course they don't have the bass and the high end the Quatros have, but that Spendor midrange is something to behold.  I think I will keep 'em. 

I've got to get hopping on my Aikido and Pass Sony VFET, but these speakers will do nicely !!  They are very efficient....not DeVore efficient, but close enough.