If you buy an electric car (or PHEV)...get gap insurance

ctviggen

I had a VW diesel that I knew VW was going to buy back from me.  To replace that car, I bought a 2016 Chevy Volt on a 20% off sale.  This is a plug-in hybrid electric vehicle, about 60 miles range in the summer, but a gas engine if you need to go farther.  I go to and from work, less than 30 miles round trip, over roads where the max speed is probably 30 mph.  I did not get gap insurance due to the 20% off sale and I thought it highly unlikely I would get in an accident that would total the car. 

I did not drive the Volt, though, instead driving the VW until I sold the VW back to VW.   I had 2,740 miles on the Volt when I got rear-ended (no one hurt in either car):

Doesn't look too bad, right?   It's totaled.  Why?  Because the repair shop says the electric cars are too complex to fix and the insurance agencies would rather total them.   So, instead of fixing the car, the insurance company paid me $27,000 (which is about $5,000 less than what I owe).  MORAL:  Buy gap insurance for electric cars/PHEVs.

As an aside, I have one data point from when I drove the Volt, in the winter before getting hit.  My electric costs were $50/month and I also bought gas (because the engine comes on when it's cold out), for $15.  So, that one data point was $65/month for this car, which is about what my VW was costing me.  Now, the Volt was 100% electric when I drove it a few weeks in the summer, so this would change, and the VW would only last about 2 weeks on one tank, so every so often there would be three tanks of gas in a month.  But the difference between a gas car and an electric isn't much where I live.  I now own a Honda Civic, but don't have any idea what monthly gas costs will be. 

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Re: If you buy an electric car (or PHEV)...get gap insurance
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2017, 04:01 pm »
You must live in a no fault state? Anyone hit in the rear is able to collect 100% of the damages from the person at fault.
If you can, you should sue for damages in court and collect from the person who hit you!

Freo-1

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2017, 04:15 pm »
Gee, sorry for your troubles.

My state is no-fault, but, I got rear ended in RI, and their insurance paid for everything (including medical).

I'll have to let a friend of mine at work know about this.  He has one of the VW E-golfs. 

Agree with Elizabeth.   Yo should look into options for re-reimbursement.

Best of luck.

jpm

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2017, 05:24 pm »
That's a truly sucky situation. Equally sucky is the reverse: trying to extract the diminished value of a vehicle from an insurance company is an experience of tremendous frustration as well. From what I have heard, the only situation where diminished value settlements tend to be less problematic are with classic vehicles on stated value policies. If the future buyer of your vehicle doesn't factor a rear end collision into their purchase offer ... caveat emptor.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2017, 06:33 pm »
Just got a used i3 Rex for commuting.  I really really hate going to the gas station.

The gap insurance was the one add on service I paid for.  Your experience makes me glad I did.

In my situation, I should be able to go weeks without buying any gas.  I am estimating  my fuel  costs to go from about 160/month to 30/month.

sfox7076

« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2017, 04:40 pm »
Sue the other driver for the difference.  Their carrier will settle....

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2017, 09:12 pm »
The real lesson here is to buy cars that don't quickly depreciate.  Never a good idea to owe more than the borrowed item is worth.  Surprised that banks haven't latched on to this phenomenon yet.

Thanks for the heads up.  But don't understand why a hybrid can't be fixed (other than just another example of spineless/super conservative insurance companies).

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2017, 09:26 pm »
I can only imagine the irritation from watching All-State commercials.

Doublej

« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2017, 09:36 pm »
One might say it is always good practice to have gap insurance when you finance any type of car.