Speakers close to front wall = no soundstage depth?

andycsb

Speakers close to front wall = no soundstage depth?
« on: 11 Mar 2017, 08:36 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Does one lose soundstage depth with speaker placement close to front wall (wall behind speakers)? I am thinking of speakers that are designed to be placed close to front wall or even standard speakers that are placed close to front wall to enhance bass. How does it work?

Thank you for your input.

Stercom

Re: Speakers close to front wall = no soundstage depth?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:35 pm »
You definitely lose soundstage depth if placed too close to the front wall. Also be careful of reflective surfaces between and behind the speakers. Large TVs, pictures and windows are the worst because of the glass.  At a RMAF a few years ago a presenter was getting some fairly harsh, spitty sound until a few of us convinced him to throw a blanket over a mirror that was between the speakers and pull the speakers away from the front wall more. The difference was easily heard by everyone in the room. Some speakers, as you mention, are designed for corners or to be placed close to the front wall. They are probably ported to the front or use the corner to "load" the room. In my experience, that helps the bass be more pronounced (which may or may not be a good thing) but it does hurt the soundstaging.   
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2017, 11:22 pm by Stercom »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2017, 09:43 pm »
Yeah, don't expect sound to appear as if it is coming from beyond the hard surface of the wall. That's not going to happen. Try to get 4 to 5 feet if you can but I have done pretty well at 28 inches from back of speaker to wall.

Mag

« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2017, 10:07 pm »
Yeah, don't expect sound to appear as if it is coming from beyond the hard surface of the wall. That's not going to happen. Try to get 4 to 5 feet if you can but I have done pretty well at 28 inches from back of speaker to wall.

IMO that's not entirely true depending on your brand of speaker. I'm using an unconventional set up with speakers close to front wall, enough room for the rear ports to breath. I then have my tower speakers reflecting off the back concrete wall three feet to the sides of my listening chair. The resulting reflected sound seems to project off the front wall between the speakers. The sound is as if a 12' x 8' stage is in front of me, with depth and imaging. My room is 25'x 11' x 8' with the speakers placed along the long wall.

andycsb

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2017, 06:21 pm »
Thanks guys for chiming in. Appreciate your time and effort.

It looks like I am gonna have to reposition my speakers nearer to the front front wall in order to get more bass. Port is at the rear of the speaker but very close to the base of speaker. I don't think I have to worry about it booming due to port to wall proximity. I see many systems (pics) with speakers that are not designed for near wall placement... quite close to walls (1.5 ft or less  from rear of speaker)...but yet I don't hear many complaints of poor soundstage depth.

Are they just not telling  :D or is there a trick to it?

Thanks again.

Stercom

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2017, 09:59 pm »
I see many systems (pics) with speakers that are not designed for near wall placement... quite close to walls (1.5 ft or less  from rear of speaker)...but yet I don't hear many complaints of poor soundstage depth.

Are they just not telling :D or is there a trick to it?

Ha,ha so true. No trick to it. Just trust your own ears. I learned a long time ago I have no idea what another person may or may not hear.

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2017, 12:19 am »
I have 4 sets of speakers that are right against the wall and create a very convincing depth of field. Bookshelf speakers from the vintage era were designed to be placed next to the wall..........

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2017, 02:14 am »
Putting something on the back wall (acoustic panels, a tapestry, curtains, etc) can simulate the effect of the speakers being out into the room. The issue is sound waves projecting off the back wall and smearing the sound before it reaches your ears. This issue is very speaker / room dependent, which is why people get varying results. Acoustic panels can be very inexpensive. Check this out:
https://www.amazon.com/12-Pack-Acoustic-Panels-Studio/dp/B00TP7C9YY/ref=pd_lpo_267_bs_t_2?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=6ea21bba079211e7bbef6258bb89292d0INT&_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F4W6K5TXR3RCY2M0BNA1