Best option for sidewall treatment in a fairly narrow room?

divertiti

My listening room is a narrow and long open living to dining to kitchen setup. It's 12ft wide but about 30ft deep all the way. My speakers and setup are on one of the short walls with a large window behind the equipment. In each of the two corners of that wall behind the speakers, I have a monster trap (24"x48") with range limiter straddling the corner. I have another two monster traps without range limiter serving sidewall duties at first reflection points right now. I'm thinking about moving those two monsters to the corner as well and extend the coverage to the ceiling (9ft tall) and getting some new panels for the first reflections.

My questions is should I get the normal 244 or will something with more diffusion (Alpha or Impression) work better for my situation? My room is narrow, so does that negate any benefit diffusion might have for the sidewalls?

Photon46

Re: Best option for sidewall treatment in a fairly narrow room?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2019, 10:57 pm »
In my 15' wide room, speakers on the short wall, I tried Gik Polyfuser absorber/diffusers, then 2' x 4' 244 bass traps with scatter plate, and finally, three 2' x 2' 2A Alpha absorber/diffusers at the first reflection points for my speakers. A vertical row of 2' x 2' Alpha absorber/diffusers sounded the best to both myself and my wife.

I also have Gik's Tri-traps in the upper room corners, 244 bass traps behind the speakers, and the Polyfusers mounted in back of the row of Alpha absorbers. A large double pane glass patio door with heavy curtains is on the wall in back of the speakers.

I'm sure Gik will give you specific advice for your room if you ask.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2019, 01:55 pm »
My questions is should I get the normal 244 or will something with more diffusion (Alpha or Impression) work better for my situation? My room is narrow, so does that negate any benefit diffusion might have for the sidewalls?

It really depends what kind of sound you are going for.  If you use the 244 (or any full absorption) you will hear more of the direct sound from the speakers due to less reflection (sound) from the side walls. If you use diffusion or parteral diffusion you will get some of the sound from the side walls. In a way it can make the sound stage sound wider, but keep in mind you will have less detail in the panning L+R. 

Hipper

« Reply #3 on: 9 May 2019, 04:17 pm »
In my 14' wide room I tried quadratic diffusers but found I could hear them - I believe you need around six feet distance to your ears for them to work properly. I don't know how this applies to the latest diffusors.

I use 242 panels right next to the speakers. This stops both first and second reflections and seems to me most practical.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2019, 05:49 pm »
In my 14' wide room I tried quadratic diffusers but found I could hear them - I believe you need around six feet distance to your ears for them to work properly. I don't know how this applies to the latest diffusors.

I use 242 panels right next to the speakers. This stops both first and second reflections and seems to me most practical.

Hipper

Do you have an REW curve on your room?
that is a lot of Soffits you have up top

Thanks