VR-8s

Bob Martin

VR-8s
« on: 17 Mar 2017, 11:35 am »
I just acquired a pair of VR-8s for a song. They are ENORMOUS!!! They have some cabinet issues but the speakers themselves work great! I plan to resolve those cabinet issues that I can (new grill cloth, repaint the "supports") and live with the ones I can't (chipped veneer along the bottom edge, cracked veneer on one of the top units). I have some questions but information on these speakers seems to be non-existent.

first question - does anyone have a source of information on these speakers (other than they weigh 500 pounds each and it takes five guys to get them up a flight of stairs)?

Next question - these speakers are much too large for my condo and I listen to them in near field so, because of their height, the sound seems to be coming from the ceiling. Could I set the top unit on a stand to the side and still get good results?

third question - what is the thread diameter and pitch for the caster holes in the bottoms? I would to put these on casters to help move them around to find the best location for them. The current bottom plate sinks into the carpeting and I have a very hard time getting them to move.

Here is a picture of one of the twins.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Delacroix

Re: VR-8s
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2017, 03:40 pm »
Bob

Welcome to AC and the VSA Circle --- nice speakers.  Am sure Albert or Leif will be able to answer your questions and give you some tips. Keep us posted as you get them integrated.

Best

Patrick

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2017, 04:44 pm »
I just acquired a pair of VR-8s for a song. They are ENORMOUS!!! They have some cabinet issues but the speakers themselves work great! I plan to resolve those cabinet issues that I can (new grill cloth, repaint the "supports") and live with the ones I can't (chipped veneer along the bottom edge, cracked veneer on one of the top units). I have some questions but information on these speakers seems to be non-existent.

first question - does anyone have a source of information on these speakers (other than they weigh 500 pounds each and it takes five guys to get them up a flight of stairs)?

Next question - these speakers are much too large for my condo and I listen to them in near field so, because of their height, the sound seems to be coming from the ceiling. Could I set the top unit on a stand to the side and still get good results?

third question - what is the thread diameter and pitch for the caster holes in the bottoms? I would to put these on casters to help move them around to find the best location for them. The current bottom plate sinks into the carpeting and I have a very hard time getting them to move.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

..any chance of telling us how expensive was the song?

leif8660

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2017, 05:09 pm »

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Hi Bob,

You can email me at leif@vonschweikert.com or call 951-682-0706
Congrats on the new speakers:)

JakeJ

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2017, 05:14 pm »

Bob Martin

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2017, 05:23 pm »
Price - I only had to pass Go twice...

Plus tax since this was from a dealer who just wanted the beasts out of his used equipment room.

Bob

Shakeydeal

« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2017, 05:26 pm »
As a former VS owner, I must say you absolutely stole those. That's far less than used original VR4 money.

Shakey

srb

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2017, 05:31 pm »
Obviously besides being large, the look doesn't have a very high WAF (or HAF / SAF).  Having 70% wood veneer does warm them up a bit though, and keeps them from having the Aliens look that they would have in all black.

What is the vintage and do all of the cone drivers have rubber surrounds?

Steve

SundayNiagara

« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2017, 06:56 pm »
Great speakers that need LOTSA ROOM. :)

hi5harry

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2017, 07:18 pm »
I owned a pair for around 5 years. My room is 18 ft. by 18 ft. I LOVED every minute with them! You are in for some fun!

illenema

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2017, 03:59 am »
Hello,  owned a pair of these for a few years. Purchased directly from Albert when they were in San Marcos. I have used Lots of amps with them Solid and tubes.
A great amp solid was the Belles OCM-500, Tubes was a Rogue 120 mono's  ( have a nice usd pair of the rogues in route)
They are quite efficient, Kick myself for ever selling them to Hifi Harry. Cheers

illenema

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2017, 04:00 am »
Thats          Hi5Harry