Gedlee Abbey crossover question

stereocilia

Gedlee Abbey crossover question
« on: 28 Feb 2017, 02:30 am »
Trying to see if I can get a smidge more top-end extension, and the the Abbey has an optional capacitor value to tame or unleash the highs. My derpy question is, which optional capacitance value passes more highs.  Like this:

+--C1-----R1--------
             |          |
             |--C2--|

Will a larger C2 increase or decrease the high frequencies? I know this should be obvious, but for some reason I'm flaking out on this. Thanks!

Folsom

Re: Gedlee Abbey crossover question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2017, 02:33 am »
Increase, assuming it's near the value of the other capacitor. It could also be replaced with a resistor if no cap size got you where you wanted. What is the value of the resistor?

As of now it simply bypasses the resistor, so whatever frequencies it moves along see effectively no resistance. Those frequencies increase and decrease in range with a corresponding cap size. So if you out in a huge cap all the frequencies will bypass the resistor. The smaller it gets the fewer pass, slowly rolling off lower frequencies.

For example cap at 5uf passes everything, cap at 0.1uf only passes above 17khz before it rolls off. ***not actual values.

stereocilia

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2017, 02:53 am »
Thanks so much! That answers it, and when you put it like that it makes sense to me now.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2017, 09:58 am »
Stereocilia,

Pm me.

Best,
Anand.

richidoo

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2017, 05:23 pm »
Upgrade R1 from metal oxide to non-inductive wirewound resistor like Mills or Mundorf. A quality wirewound resistor sounds more open, more detailed, more lively, much more musically alive than rustistors. Same value wirewound will sound "louder" than Mox despite same FR because more information is coming through and we're very sensitive to treble band. When upgrading a well balanced stock xo a lower value wirewound is often needed to maintain tonal balance. But in your case where you want "more" treble, using the same value as stock Mox might give you what you're looking for. Buy a few adjacent values to tweek it. The difference will be very obvious because there is a large resistor pad on the horn loaded compression driver to match the woofer sensitivity. Get the rust out! ;)