OB Loudspeakers

seadogs1

OB Loudspeakers
« on: 11 Feb 2017, 12:09 am »
Why does it seem that OB Loudspeakers are not excepted by most Audiophiles and reviewers?

WC

Re: OB Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 Feb 2017, 12:54 am »
Because they haven't heard them or they sound different than what they are used to.

Chicken Man

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2017, 08:07 am »

One has to wonder if audiophiles are actually interested in listening to music or more about impressing others with their bits and pieces.
You would have to make a complete mess of an OB design for it to sound worse than the same drivers in a box.

Once one has heard a well designed OB it is hard to go back to living with something seemingly so muffed and costing many times the price.

C.M

THROWBACK

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2017, 03:10 pm »
Actually, there are more OB-lovers out there than you might think if you include electrostats (Martin Logans, Sanders, KLH9s, Quads) and planars (Maggies, Infinity, etc.).  All are open-baffle.

I had every one of those designs at different times in my life and enjoyed them very much. Now I have a GR Research OB design (LS-9) with an array of cone woofers and planar mids/tweets and I enjoy it even more. It has impact, soundstaging, depth, clarity and a degree of realism that I had never experienced before. Everyone who has heard them agrees that they are something special.

I go to several audio shows every year and I marvel at the fuss audio reviewers make over what my ears tell me are not very good sounding systems (at definitely ungood prices).

I return from the shows, crank up my system and go "A-A-A-H-H-H-H!"

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2017, 12:03 pm »
I agree with what's been said here. I am a recent convert to OB speakers having owned some very well regarded and expensive speakers over the years. What's really impressive to me is the way an OB loads the room differently than cones in a box. Planars and electrostatics do it too, but  usually without the dynamics and bass response of a conventional speaker. A good OB will give you the best of both worlds, at least that's been my experience with my Super Vs. I am a believer now.

Shakey