Need some help

Milliron

Need some help
« on: 14 Jan 2017, 05:48 pm »
Hello, I'm new here and looking for some advice.  I have recently discovered the wonders of tube amplification and need some new gear.  My current system is (or was) made up of an Odyssey Khartago stereo amp mated with a Peachtree Decco65 as preamp.  Digital front end was my old Rotel 1072 CD plugged into the Peachtree's DAC.  All this driving GoldenEar Triton Ones.  Vinyl is handled by a Rega P1 driven by a Cambridge phono amp (the Peachtree doesn't have a phono out).

I found this setup to be quite pleasing, but it was never intended to be anything but a stopgap measure.  Now the Peachtree's coaxial jacks are failing, so I believe we are now obliged to take this rig to the next level.

I A-B'd the Peachtree's tube stage and there is a noticeable difference, so I want a dedicated tube pre to mate with the Odyssey.  I have been considering Primaluna and Odyssey's own Candela, but I'm such a tube neophyte I decided I need some guidance.  What would be good pick with this setup?

I also need a DAC recommendation.  I'm debating replacing the CD entirely, but I'm thinking I would be better served with a DAC and using the Rotel as a transport, and using the DAC to stream or run a NAS.

Budget is $3-5k. All suggestions are welcome, including ones that touch on other components.

RPM123

Re: Need some help
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jan 2017, 06:28 pm »
Hi Milliron and welcome! You should have a fun journey exploring the world of tubes. I would suggest trying tube preamps from manufacturers that offer a 30 day trial period. I assume that your budget includes both the preamp and DAC? The new LIO preamp from Vinnie Rossi can be outfitted with tubes and a DAC and may fit within your budget and the modules are also designed to be upgradeable. There is also the Backert Labs Rhumba at $2900 that may work. I'm not sure about if Modwright offers any trial period, but they have introduced a preamp within your budget. (I use the LS100 myself.) One thing to keep in mind is proper impedance matching between the output of the preamp and the input of your amp. I don't know what the input impedance is of the the Odyssey amp. As I recall, a general rule of thumb is that the input impedance of the amp should be at least 100 times that of the output impedance of the preamp. And typically the longer the cable run the more critical this becomes. Once you have decided on a preamp, then you can try "tube rolling".  :) Good luck and happy hunting.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jan 2017, 07:58 pm »
There an Khartago monos now on the trading circle, if you want power amps:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=147881.0

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2017, 08:10 pm »
Khartago Stereo
Input impedance 22K ohms

rotarius

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2017, 10:09 pm »
Since your speakers have powered woofers, I would just get a tube amp and sell your Odyssey amp.  If you must hold on to it, you want a preamp with lowish output impedance.  Look at quicksilver and Mapletree Audio websites, very good stuff at down to earth prices.  As for dacs, I have used Musical Fidelity stuff for years.  Very reliable, sound fine and always measure well when they are reviewed. 

Milliron

« Reply #5 on: 2 Feb 2017, 12:04 am »
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Primaluna Dialogue Premium Pre. It's due at the end of this week.  I also have a Schiit Yggdrasil due at the end of the month.  Work on putting together a music server after that (when I have $$ again).  Thanks for all the advice re: impedance matching.  That was helpful.