Stellar Albums on the BCD-3

Mag

Stellar Albums on the BCD-3
« on: 2 Jan 2017, 04:32 pm »
  Maybe it's pointless to start this thread as some of these stellar recordings are good to begin with, but I'll give it a go. And so far just about everything I have played is elevated. But I have to say when compared to other recordings some albums reveal they're crap mixes.

Ok, here goes:

Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms
  One of the best recordings I've heard on sacd, is even better on this unit playing the cd layer of this sacd.

George Thorogood- The Baddest
  Good recording to begin with. Now the harmonics comes through sounding stellar.

Kitaro- Enchanted Evening
  A favorite album of mine that is lacking in transparency, on the song Taiko Drums the bongo comes through with vigor and clarity. Then Kokoro, this IMO is one the best guitar solos ever and it comes through so smooth and precise with harmonics, awesome.

Rush- All the World's Stage
  Was at the concert '77 or '78 in Saskatoon arena, which had a capacity of about 5000 people. This was the set list they played and as I recall with my audio memory, is exactly how it sounded Live.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Stellar Albums on the BCD-3
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jan 2017, 09:14 pm »
My pick.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2017, 09:50 pm »
  Maybe it's pointless to start this thread as some of these stellar recordings are good to begin with, but I'll give it a go. And so far just about everything I have played is elevated. But I have to say when compared to other recordings some albums reveal they're crap mixes.

Ok, here goes:

Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms
  One of the best recordings I've heard on sacd, is even better on this unit playing the cd layer of this sacd.

George Thorogood- The Baddest
  Good recording to begin with. Now the harmonics comes through sounding stellar.

Kitaro- Enchanted Evening
  A favorite album of mine that is lacking in transparency, on the song Taiko Drums the bongo comes through with vigor and clarity. Then Kokoro, this IMO is one the best guitar solos ever and it comes through so smooth and precise with harmonics, awesome.

Rush- All the World's Stage
  Was at the concert '77 or '78 in Saskatoon arena, which had a capacity of about 5000 people. This was the set list they played and as I recall with my audio memory, is exactly how it sounded Live.

rush with bryston, that's a classic canadian combo right there, eh? haha but try 2112 next time. :D

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2017, 10:53 pm »
Cowboy Junkies. Diana Krall. Patricia Barber.

Any Mahler symphony recorded post-1985, esp. by Bernstein or by Boulez (conducting). Wow. Imaging's amazing, as is bass and percussion. 14B-squared with all Bryston sources.

:thumb:

Mag

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2017, 03:02 am »
The drums thunder on this one! :drool:

Two good songs too that are not found on other albums, Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Eat Me Alive. Riding on the Wind, Rocks! My favorite JP song.

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2017, 09:22 pm »

Two good songs too that are not found on other albums, Between the Hammer and the Anvil, Eat Me Alive. Riding on the Wind, Rocks! My favorite JP song.

cool :D

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 4 Feb 2017, 05:33 pm »
Some more:

Trance/ Electronic

New Age/ Electronic

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2017, 01:29 am »
Some more, and I have many albums still to listen.

The Mozart Collection- 2006, Sony
I'm not familiar with classical but I wanted to hear how BCD-3 handles classical and this sounded transparent to my ears.

Blue Oyster Cult- Heaven Forbid

Trance/ Electronic

Barstow

« Reply #8 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:08 am »

I like to think this entire hobby and the components we listen through would not exist of course without first great recordings , my taste in music abruptly widen upon listening to this incredible recording by Decca back in the day of long hair , leather jackets and Rock being the only music to listen too.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #9 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:32 am »
STUPENDOUSLY GREAT recordings on my BCD-1/BDA-1:

Barstow

« Reply #10 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:59 am »
The more I read James Tanner's explanations of why the BCD 3 is red book only this encourage me to purchase the 3 . I have not yet bought it however when I do my stack of well recorded music is ready ,.

Mag

« Reply #11 on: 7 Feb 2017, 04:03 am »
Shania Twain- Come On Over

SRV- The Real Deal Vol. 1 & 2

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 7 Feb 2017, 03:39 pm »

Steve Kuhn's jazz discs are amazingly refined.

Mag

« Reply #13 on: 8 Feb 2017, 02:09 am »
Another Stellar Stevie Ray Vaughn, Essentials by Epic. This one has the long Carnegie Hall version of Voodoo Child that I couldn't find anywhere else.Limited Edition, digitally re-mastered 2 cd set.

Mag

« Reply #14 on: 24 Feb 2017, 04:18 am »
Autobahn, Kraftwerk

Moontan, Golden Earring MCA  American release

Mag

« Reply #15 on: 25 Feb 2017, 04:50 am »
Go-Gos: Beauty and the Beat

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #16 on: 25 Feb 2017, 11:38 am »

This album has a dynamic range of 5 overall. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/4150
So thundering drums might have been present once, but definitely not after it was mastered...

Many of the albums mentioned here are very compressed. I am quite amazed that the people willing to spend a decent chomp of money on their audio gear apparently have no problem listening to completely ruined recordings...

Mag

« Reply #17 on: 25 Feb 2017, 08:47 pm »
This album has a dynamic range of 5 overall. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/4150
So thundering drums might have been present once, but definitely not after it was mastered...

Many of the albums mentioned here are very compressed. I am quite amazed that the people willing to spend a decent chomp of money on their audio gear apparently have no problem listening to completely ruined recordings...

Thems fighting words. :flame: But you can be forgiven since you probably don't have a BCD-3.

A typical recording, cd, streaming, codec file, etc., I'm not talking dvd, sacd or Blu-ray. Sounds thin and compressed as you say.

Not so with the BCD-3, as I mentioned elsewhere I'm listening for transparency, and the quality of the stereo mix is the factor on transparency.  With the BCD-3 recording don't sound thin, but have body and depth.

With the JP recording, I'm hearing a thunder quality to the drums that wasn't apparent to me before. With my Model T's and Paradigm Studio 100 v2 I have ten bass drivers so the bass is quite revealing.

A song that I know is dynamic is Far Above the Clouds on Tubular Bells 3 by Mike Oldfield. On a typical source this song will sound overpowering for lack of a better term. The BCD-3 plays it clean.

Another album Jesus Christ Superstar Original London release. The vocals sound somewhat distorted played loud. Not so with the BCD-3, though I wouldn't say this album is stellar, just better than on another source. :smoke:

Mag

« Reply #18 on: 26 Feb 2017, 04:14 am »
Sacred World Chants by Dean Evenson- New Age, Meditation

Mag

« Reply #19 on: 27 Feb 2017, 12:30 am »
Yanni, Live at the Acropolis- Electonic, New Age